2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im glad the long pants over the cleats look that Manny Ramirez made popular appears to have faded out. Always hated that look. 

Yeah, those were the worst.  They were so ugly that I figured there must be utility to them but all I could imagine was them tripping on their pants.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

What a path he has taken...

I can't read this one, but I read the homeless story elsewhere and it didn't seem like he was really homeless.  I got the impression that his family was poor, but he had a home with his mother if he wanted.  He chose to live in his car for whatever reason.   This might sound cold and I could easily be wrong, but it didn't seem like he was thrown out in the streets.    

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I can't read this one, but I read the homeless story elsewhere and it didn't seem like he was really homeless.  I got the impression that his family was poor, but he had a home with his mother if he wanted.  He chose to live in his car for whatever reason.   This might sound cold and I could easily be wrong, but it didn't seem like he was thrown out in the streets.    

His Mom moved back to Mexico for periods of time for work and he stayed here. His Dad had passed away.

The reasons made sense to me

1 hour ago, microline133 said:

The issue for Turnbull was never really coming back, it's more about what breaks next. His injury history is so extensive, going back to college, that it's hard to envision that suddenly stopping now.

But you got to factor in he's in the best shape of life, no way he can get hurt. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

"Different feeling around the team this year, the boys are just being looser and having fun vs. playing tight last year. AJ thinks their relaxed attitude is going to carry over onto the field and lead to more wins."

Why a different vibe?  Wasn’t AJ the manager last spring training?

On 2/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, Edman85 said:

The replies to this tweet, I can't tell if they are serious, of people bemoaning the fact that Mize is injured this year (Not sure what they expected?)...

I think they were serious.  They are just typical fans that watch a little baseball during the season and then go on to the next sport.  Only a small percentage of fans follow the Tigers the way we do here.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think they were serious.  They are just typical fans that watch a little baseball during the season and then go on to the next sport.  Only a small percentage of fans follow the Tigers the way we do here.  

I was interrogated about them a few weeks ago by someone who didn’t know that JV and Max play for the Mets.  When I told him and the contracts he then went on about how they make too much money. 

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was interrogated about them a few weeks ago by someone who didn’t know that JV and Max play for the Mets.  When I told him and the contracts he then went on about how they make too much money. 

did you ask him how many millions of people pay to watch him do his job?

I feel like Akil Baddoo needs a new number. #60 is a Spring Training number.     But looking at the new numbers issued, it seems there are few available now

#4 is open.   Not being held for anyone.   Maybe they'll hold it for Manny Machado next year.

#10 is open, but I have a feeling that is being held for retirement for Jim Leyland.   Ditto for #35 and Justin Verlander.     #37, #38, #40, #41, and #44 are open, I believe.   Some bay be taken by new coaches, but I think Baddoo would look positively smashing wearing #44. 

Player numbers are just a think with me.  I don't know why it matters. 

I think single digit numbers for pitchers is something evil and unholy. 

If they can unlock Baddoo.............

46 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I feel like Akil Baddoo needs a new number. #60 is a Spring Training number.     But looking at the new numbers issued, it seems there are few available now

#4 is open.   Not being held for anyone.   Maybe they'll hold it for Manny Machado next year.

#10 is open, but I have a feeling that is being held for retirement for Jim Leyland.   Ditto for #35 and Justin Verlander.     #37, #38, #40, #41, and #44 are open, I believe.   Some bay be taken by new coaches, but I think Baddoo would look positively smashing wearing #44. 

Player numbers are just a think with me.  I don't know why it matters. 

I think single digit numbers for pitchers is something evil and unholy. 

If they can unlock Baddoo.............

I agree on 44, good enough for Henry Aaron and Willie McCovey.  Who tied for the National League lead in HR's in 1963.  With 44.