Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not having the death penalty is worse for this kid.   He doesn't seem to be the type who's in love with life.   He'll be in jail for the rest of his life which could be a very very long time.   Long after most of us are gone.     

Even if Michigan had the death penalty, it's unconstitutional to sentence a minor to death but I'm not sure how long that will be with this supreme court. 

I would like to know the statistics on how many good guys with guns thwarted potential murders? I feel like the number is very low. I also then wonder how many people, particularly children, got hold of said good guy's gun and accidentally killed someone? I can't imagine the net is very many lives saved and thousands of lives lost than didn't need to be. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would like to know the statistics on how many good guys with guns thwarted potential murders? I feel like the number is very low. I also then wonder how many people, particularly children, got hold of said good guy's gun and accidentally killed someone? I can't imagine the net is very many lives saved and thousands of lives lost than didn't need to be. 

An Army Major killed 13 people at Fort Hood before he was stopped.   I think they had guns.  

• Like 1

Kid gets a $1,000 gun for Christmas at 15.   When I was 15 my dad got me skates, hockey gloves and a stick.     Water main had burst in the field behind my house that year and the farmer wasn't fixing it until spring so we had a natural rink 30 yards from my back door.     One day I was playing hockey and a kid from the neighborhood made a remark about my eye (I had a noticeable lazy eye).  I slapped him in the face with the blade of my stick and cut him right under his eye.     My dad took my skates and stick away because that's not what they were meant for.  I mean, took them to his office.  Couldn't play the rest of the winter.   I had to apologize to the kid and his dad made him apologize to me.  They made us shake hands and we wound up actually being friends after that.    I think my dad handled things better than Jim Crumbley handled his son.  But that's just my opinion.  

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even if Michigan had the death penalty, it's unconstitutional to sentence a minor to death but I'm not sure how long that will be with this supreme court. 

Personally, I think the arrangement he was sent to today should be unconstitutional. Putting a 15yo in the adult jail secluded to an area by himself is nothing short of a three-year sentence to solitary confinement. If the kid is 15, it should be on the juvenile detention facility to ensure his and others' safety in the facility. One-on-one if needed.

43 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Kid gets a $1,000 gun for Christmas at 15.   When I was 15 my dad got me skates, hockey gloves and a stick.     Water main had burst in the field behind my house that year and the farmer wasn't fixing it until spring so we had a natural rink 30 yards from my back door.     One day I was playing hockey and a kid from the neighborhood made a remark about my eye (I had a noticeable lazy eye).  I slapped him in the face with the blade of my stick and cut him right under his eye.     My dad took my skates and stick away because that's not what they were meant for.  I mean, took them to his office.  Couldn't play the rest of the winter.   I had to apologize to the kid and his dad made him apologize to me.  They made us shake hands and we wound up actually being friends after that.    I think my dad handled things better than Jim Crumbley handled his son.  But that's just my opinion.  

I had a single shot .22 rifle at a very young age.  I think I was 10 or 11.  It sat in my closet and I wasn't allowed to take it out unless my dad was with me and then we went out and shot targets.  After I had kids I passed my knowledge on to them.  Its all about how you are brought up. Some people have a interest in firearms and others don't.  By the comments I read here, some of the posters don't know anything about firearms.  There's nothing wrong with that but don't knock the people who are firearm enthusiasts and properly train themselves and their family on firearms.  There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything.  The shooters family did it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

I had a single shot .22 rifle at a very young age.  I think I was 10 or 11.  It sat in my closet and I wasn't allowed to take it out unless my dad was with me and then we went out and shot targets.  After I had kids I passed my knowledge on to them.  Its all about how you are brought up. Some people have a interest in firearms and others don't.  By the comments I read here, some of the posters don't know anything about firearms.  There's nothing wrong with that but don't knock the people who are firearm enthusiasts and properly train themselves and their family on firearms.  There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything.  The shooters family did it wrong.

yeah - and there is some subset of the population who could safely handle nuclear material in a home reactor as well, doesn't mean it still wouldn't a big mistake to allow it in a society.

I don't think that very many people here would think that owning a single shot .22 for targets is a problem.  Or a stronger rifle for deer.  Or a shotgun for ducks or skeet, go ahead and have one of those too.  Just take proper precautions.

Handguns and semi automatic rifles are an entirely different story.  Those need to be rigidly controlled, and the semi automatics should be totally banned.

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't think that very many people here would think that owning a single shot .22 for targets is a problem.  Or a stronger rifle for deer.  Or a shotgun for ducks or skeet, go ahead and have one of those too.  Just take proper precautions.

Handguns and semi automatic rifles are an entirely different story.  Those need to be rigidly controlled, and the semi automatics should be totally banned.

Until the careful people like Archie and Tigerholic and Romad come to the conclusion that despite the care they take they are still part of the problem, things in the US won't change.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I'm sure a metal detector inside this home's front door and/or an armed neighbor borrowing a cup of sugar and this would never have happened.

A Florida man who served as his church’s longtime musician shot and killed his wife of 30 years and two of their adult children early Wednesday morning in the family’s home, the local sheriff said. William “Bill” Broyles, a 57-year-old with no prior history of domestic violence, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder after he called the sheriff’s office on himself. Authorities found him lying in his driveway. His wife was 57, their children 27 and 28. “He told us that he shot each victim multiple times, just to make sure they didn’t suffer. When he was asked why he didn’t just shoot himself, he said he was too scared to do that,” Nassau County Sheriff Bill Leeper said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-church-musician-william-broyles-guns-down-his-wife-of-30-years-and-their-two-kids-cops-say?ref=home

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Almost every gun produced is a semi-automatic now. Main exception are revolvers that are either single or double action.  Even those are semi auto meaning one trigger pull=one bullet fired.  

I still say the problem is the person and not the tool used.  If there were no guns, people set on hurting, killing or destruction would find another tool.  Darrell Brooks used a SUV as his tool to kill as many other have.  Are we all going to ride bikes now because we can't trust people in their cars? If not cars then airplanes, knives, hammers and bombs have all been used to kill.  In the 1920s someone used a bomb to blow up a school in Michigan.

Even if all guns were gone there are a lot of people in the country with the knowledge and tools to make one. All that's needed is a lathe and mill. A friend of mine built a gatling gun.  Its an amazing piece of work. Its not real accurate but fires well. 

35 minutes ago, Archie said:

Almost every gun produced is a semi-automatic now. Main exception are revolvers that are either single or double action.  Even those are semi auto meaning one trigger pull=one bullet fired.  

I still say the problem is the person and not the tool used.  If there were no guns, people set on hurting, killing or destruction would find another tool.  Darrell Brooks used a SUV as his tool to kill as many other have.  Are we all going to ride bikes now because we can't trust people in their cars? If not cars then airplanes, knives, hammers and bombs have all been used to kill.  In the 1920s someone used a bomb to blow up a school in Michigan.

Even if all guns were gone there are a lot of people in the country with the knowledge and tools to make one. All that's needed is a lathe and mill. A friend of mine built a gatling gun.  Its an amazing piece of work. Its not real accurate but fires well. 

“Because we can’t eradicate all murders we shouldn’t eradicate any”

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

“Because we can’t eradicate all murders we shouldn’t eradicate any”

Funny how that same logic doesn't apply to abortions. They still can't address how Canada, Australia, Japan, and Western Europe have significantly fewer gun murders. The fact is, their other non gun murders are no higher than the US. I would also like to point out that the US also doesn't have some unusually high rate of mental disorders. It's inline with countries like the UK. The lengths they will go to give guns more rights than people is simply dumbfounding. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm sure a metal detector inside this home's front door and/or an armed neighbor borrowing a cup of sugar and this would never have happened.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-church-musician-william-broyles-guns-down-his-wife-of-30-years-and-their-two-kids-cops-say?ref=home

another member of our well regulated militia

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - and there is some subset of the population who could safely handle nuclear material in a home reactor as well, doesn't mean it still wouldn't a big mistake to allow it in a society.

We did actually have a 15 year old who built a nuclear reactor in his mom's backyard shed in Michigan.   It didn't go well, but we got very VERY lucky it didn't end up poisoning a whole neighborhood.