Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think I may have misinterpreted the comparison.

"What it feels like is the conservatives are celebrating a kid for killing felons."

To compare to the board re: conservatives/covid:

"What it feels like is the liberals are celebrating a virus for killing conservatives."

If this is a fair summary of the comparison, I do not agree that the board is celebrating a virus for killing conservatives.

Fixed it for you. These guys were not political activists unless "Liberals" are in the business of attacking someone as they run away.

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Fixed it for you. These guys were not political activists unless "Liberals" are in the business of attacking someone as they run away.

thanks, that could be a fair edit.   I feel like there are a lot of people that kill felons that aren't celebrated like this dude though so what is it about him or what he did that gives him a speaking invite at CPAC?

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

thanks, that could be a fair edit.   I feel like there are a lot of people that kill felons that aren't celebrated like this dude though so what is it about him or what he did that gives him a speaking invite at CPAC?

I do not condone anything the right is doing with this guy post trial by the way.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

If this is a fair summary of the comparison, I do not agree that the board is celebrating a virus for killing conservatives.

I agree with you.  When I say 'this board', I'm referring to at minimum, a majority of folks.

There is one specific person I can think of that often writes stuff that maybe you could argue it's not celebrating, but certainly callous.   I think most people on this board are guilty of occasionally expressing their anger about the Covid situation as a whole in a callous manner at one point or another, I know I certainly have, but my 'fuck them' moments were not celebrating anyone's death, just expressing annoyance at the continued stress some folks are putting on the economy, health care, even their own families.

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I agree with you.  When I say 'this board', I'm referring to at minimum, a majority of folks.

There is one specific person I can think of that often writes stuff that maybe you could argue it's not celebrating, but certainly callous.   I think most people on this board are guilty of occasionally expressing their anger about the Covid situation as a whole in a callous manner at one point or another, I know I certainly have, but my 'fuck them' moments were not celebrating anyone's death, just expressing annoyance at the continued stress some folks are putting on the economy, health care, even their own families.

IDK. Maybe. But, it's a message board. Brevity may be many things but the soul of nuance is not one of them. There is often years of subtext implicit in posts that any given reader may or may not be processing.  When conversation swings into topics of sweeping  impersonal forces I don't expect people to append their personal ethics disclaimers on each post for my clarity.

As a whole I respect the heck out of everyone here. The conversations we have don't happen much in the real world (At least for me). I poke Oblong and Chas but I know these guys are super intellegent and they have swayed alot of opinions I used to carry. I have moved from the right to medium right just by seeing these conversations unfold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

As a whole I respect the heck out of everyone here. The conversations we have don't happen much in the real world (At least for me). I poke Oblong and Chas but I know these guys are super intellegent and they have swayed alot of opinions I used to carry. I have moved from the right to medium right just by seeing these conversations unfold. 

This forum is one of my initial sources of political news.  I don't believe everything I read here of course, but it prompts me to learn more about certain issues.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Conservatopia 

Got a note from our kids’ district about this.  They mentioned extra policing on hand  tomorrow and continuing to monitor the situation.  Pretty soon the only difference between school buildings and jails will be the lack of barbed wire around school buildings.

But, hey, at least the second amendment of the Constitution (the wonderful document that originally ignored broads and coloreds) will be maintained.

9 hours ago, oblong said:

When they get their wish for a citizen army and patrols this just makes it easier.  The cops don't have to get involved.  As long as you "look" ok, meaning you're white, have a goatee, and a cap on with a tractor logo, it's all good.  If you are a minority and your cap looks a little flashy then things get dicey.

That reminds me: I'm gonna have to grow a goatee before 2025.

8 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Almost as fucked up as people cheering conservative deaths because of covid...ALL over this board, but let the sounding board continue..

8 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

When did this happen? 

Perhaps he means last year and earlier this year on the other board. You can look it up.

Oh, wait ... 🙄

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Got a note from our kids’ district about this.  They mentioned extra policing on hand  tomorrow and continuing to monitor the situation.  Pretty soon the only difference between school buildings and jails will be the lack of barbed wire around school buildings.

But, hey, at least the second amendment of the Constitution (the wonderful document that originally ignored broads and coloreds) will be maintained.

we just got one too......

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

So what if they were felons?

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Right?  It bugs me when discussing someone’s unforeseen death and whether it was warranted or not and people being up something else… as if it matters a single bit.  It doesn’t.  

Because he lead off with calling the assailants Liberals. There were folks at those "peaceful protest" looking for justice I am sure, I was trying to differentiate. Sorry, Liberal-Felons is a cleaner description. 

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Because he lead off with calling the assailants Liberals. There were folks at those "peaceful protest" looking for justice I am sure, I was trying to differentiate. Sorry, Liberal-Felons is a cleaner description. 

Not speculating about you or what you think here, but just in general, I think the problem with labeling the shooting victims "felons" is that it completely excuses the kid for shooting them dead. As in, who cares if they were shot dead, after all, they were felons, so fuck 'em. It suggests that felons deserve to be shot dead, or that people who shoot felons dead deserve a pass for doing so, or at least, people who shoot felons dead don't deserve as much punishment as people who shoot non-felons dead. It's too close to a slippery slope.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

These conservatives, primarily radio show hosts, have spread disinformation that has probably caused hundreds if not thousands of people to die. Their disinformation is also prolonging the pandemic so sorry if I have no more fucks to give when they die. 

It's not that I don't care for human life and value it, I most certainly do. But when I see these Herman Cain Award pages on Twitter that spotlight people who mocked those of us who believed Covid was real and then later died from it, how bad am I supposed to feel? I can't help but think about the disinformation spread by the right wing media and social media sphere that took their lives and how they fell pray to pseudo-science and nonsense.

It's a hoax, it's no worse than the flu and hardly anyone dies from it anyway are some of the original greatest right win hits. Vaccines supposedly have 5G microchips in them or aluminum siding or whatever in them. Bill Gates is then using them as a way to formulate a new world order. And then an entirely different crowd of people who think Covid is real, but want to take horse paste or other scientifically unproven treatments instead of a more sure thing with the vaccine. Sorry to break it to you Hollywood Hogan, but many of us new this was bullshit because we didn't listen to right wing media and follow along with the social media death spiral. We just listened to our doctors and public health experts smarter than ourselves and took it seriously from the start by masking up, social distancing and most of all, vaccinating ourselves.

The New York Times Red Covid piece is one of the most insightful publications I've read on just how ideologically and partisan biased Covid has become due to people on the right not taking it seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/briefing/covid-red-states-vaccinations.html

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not speculating about you or what you think here, but just in general, I think the problem with labeling the shooting victims "felons" is that it completely excuses the kid for shooting them dead. As in, who cares if they were shot dead, after all, they were felons, so fuck 'em. It suggests that felons deserve to be shot dead, or that people who shoot felons dead deserve a pass for doing so, or at least, people who shoot felons dead don't deserve as much punishment as people who shoot non-felons dead. It's too close to a slippery slope.

Which goes back to the difference that was questioned between students in a school in Oxford being shot vs people on the street being shot in Chicago. The public knows all too well that despite the cases that make the news,  *most* of the violence in the inner cities is intergang/inter-youth violence and there isn't much question that that fact reduces the urgency that the larger society feels with respect to it. As long as it's "them" and "over there."

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The New York Times Red Covid piece is one of the most insightful publications I've read on just how ideologically and partisan biased Covid has become due to people on the right not taking it seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/briefing/covid-red-states-vaccinations.html

and even now, as I track the uptick in vaccination in MI, I see that the increases are mostly in areas where vax rates were already high and are now getting higher, rather than in the areas where vax compliance is low finally changing their behavior.