Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

Not enough gun restrictions

NRA hero-with-a-gun culture

bullying (around the clock now)

hip hop culture (sorry, but even if you like the music you have to admit that it glorifies violence and normalizes it,  just like rock & roll normalized drugs)

extreme Republicanism

violent videogames

lack of mental health support (in every state)

the internet

over prescribing of powerful mind-altering, but legal drugs 

corporate greed

They all play a part...........and the common thing except for the bullying and lack of mental health, they are all big money-makers, aren't they)

Here's our worthless Attorney General, indicted for securities fraud (who still will, in all likelihood, win his primary tonight) talking about arming teachers.

These guys would rather turn every school in America into a fortress than actually do anything related to firearms.

I really can’t take this plethora of shootings. But again… children just being school… good God… this is so mind blowing. 

It will never end until good people with guns convince their kin that maybe more controls WON’T render them victims.

7 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I really can’t take this plethora of shootings. But again… children just being school… good God… this is so mind blowing. 

It will never end until good people with guns convince their kin that maybe more controls WON’T render them victims.

I know and understand the focus on guns at this point. I am not going to debate the gun ‘thing’ because I’m not in that room. 
I do find it appalling that there are so many people in this country that have no problem killing other people, NO problem whatsoever. Guns end up as tools too often, yes. But the fact that someone can walk into a school, business, crowd, whatever, and just begin killing other human beings randomly. Guns aren’t responsible for the hate people have of others. Guns laws can be debated and legislated forever, but the lack of regard for human life won’t be resolved through gun legislation. This country is in a really bad place right now. 

6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I know and understand the focus on guns at this point. I am not going to debate the gun ‘thing’ because I’m not in that room. 
I do find it appalling that there are so many people in this country that have no problem killing other people, NO problem whatsoever. Guns end up as tools too often, yes. But the fact that someone can walk into a school, business, crowd, whatever, and just begin killing other human beings randomly. Guns aren’t responsible for the hate people have of others. Guns laws can be debated and legislated forever, but the lack of regard for human life won’t be resolved through gun legislation. This country is in a really bad place right now. 

Policy is all about dealing with things that are within your control.

Guns, at least in theory, are things that can be regulated through policy. Unless there's some "Black Mirror"-style device out there that I dont know about, the human actions of 330+ million people cannot be legislated out of existence.

In my state, the one where this event happened, they don't do deal with the things that are within their control (often rescinding regulations, in fact), while paying lip service to the things they can't. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 1776 said:

but the lack of regard for human life won’t be resolved through gun legislation. This country is in a really bad place right now. 

but isn't it pretty obvious that if  killing people becomes harder, people being the lazy azses they are, they will kill a lot fewer people just out of the increased degree of difficulty even if they still aren't particularly morally inhibited?

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

but isn't it pretty obvious that if  killing people becomes harder, people being the lazy azses they are, they will kill a lot fewer people just out of the increased degree of difficulty even if they still aren't particularly morally inhibited?

For real. Why make it easier? It’s totally absurd. If I wanted to kill a bunch of people I could go to Dunhams and get what I need. If I couldn’t go there or anywhere else I wouldn’t know where to go.  People act like you can just go on a corner and get a gun. 

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

nothing will get done because americans despise their fellow americans

hopefully the mass shootings later this week will take fewer lives with older victims

Sandy Hook was my pivot point when I began my drift leftward. The total disregard for kids being sawed in half showed me the GOP is not a group of normal people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, as gruesome as it sounds, we need pictures, video, the injuries, the horror, the dead bodies of children, the gut wrenching wailing of the parents.  It has to be shown non stop for days and days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Sandy Hook was my pivot point when I began my drift leftward. The total disregard for kids being sawed in half showed me the GOP is not a group of normal people. 

If the Sandy Hook shooting didn't get to you, there is something wrong with you. Given the age of the victims, this one is similar.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

Sandy Hook was the event that impacted me most psychology besides maybe 9/11. 

Now we're here again.