Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

I don't think seeing photos or anything of the sort is going to change many of these republicans.   That one GOP KKK dude (I know, doesn't narrow it down much) Scalise was shot multiple times in a mass shooting himself, and still is as pro-death machine as he ever was.   

I'm not sure how you deter people who are apparently totally ok with national suicide.

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't think seeing photos or anything of the sort is going to change many of these republicans.   That one GOP KKK dude (I know, doesn't narrow it down much) Scalise was shot multiple times in a mass shooting himself, and still is as pro-death machine as he ever was.   

I'm not sure how you deter people who are apparently totally ok with national suicide.

I would settle for moral clarity at this point from these pols.... just spare us the talk about "mental health" and "metal detectors" and such and just admit that the gun is more important than the kids. And that the talk is all just a way to wind down the clock until it passes from the collective consciousness.

It won't happen, of course, and collectively, we will still take these tropes seriously. We've seen the movie before

All this attention turns to Matthew McConaughey now because this is his hometown.     Why?  What the fuck is he going to do?  He's a fucking actor.    Celebrity worship is another problem in this country and it's why we wound up with the must unqualified person to ever be President.   I like Matthew, but who the fuck cares what he thinks?   yeah, he thinks it's tragic.........he's human, no shock there. 

Celebrity Worship.   If Oprah ran for the Democrats, she'd  be their nominee in a blink, it wouldn't even be close.  

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

just admit that the gun is more important than the kids. And that the talk is all just a way to wind down the clock until it passes from the collective consciousness.

yup. We have to get to the point where responsible gun owner are going to have to say "Yeah, I like to hunt and target shoot but my recreation isn't worth this carnage", because basically we need a Constitutional revision of the 2A and that will never happen until the 'good' people who don't think they are, realize that yeah - they really are part of the problem. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup. We have to get to the point where responsible gun owner are going to have to say "Yeah, I like to hunt and target shoot but my recreation isn't worth this carnage", because basically we need a Constitutional revision of the 2A and that will never happen until the 'good' people who don't think they are, realize that yeah - they really are part of the problem. 

Most gun owners actually do want some reform, but they are drowned out by the loudmouths with the NRA.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

The other thing too..... even if we did all of the work and got rid of these asshats in congress and actually passed legislation, the SCOTUS would just kill it.

We are in real trouble with this SCOTUS folks.

Democrats have to expand the Supreme Court and add term limits if by some miracle they hold the House and add two Senate seats. 

1. End the filibuster

2. Expand the Supreme Court with 4 seats

3. Pass the Freedom to Vote Act

4. Make DC a state and add two Senators

These are the four biggest things that must happen if Dems retain power and add Senate seats to get around the two lite beer Republicans in Manchin and Sinema.

Democrats need to go on a full frontal attack against Republicans and their radical view on guns. We need the kind of gory, graphic TV and social media/digital ads Republicans would run if 9/11 happened on Al Gores watch. Bodies of kids and grocery shoppers piling up. Democrats need to hammer this point home at every single campaign stop that Republicans don't care about your children or your personal safety when you're out doing everyday things like grocery shopping, going to the movies, at the mall, going to the beach, etc. They need to explain that the United States has more guns than any developed country on Earth and that it still hasn't made us safer. Savage the Republicans and put them on defense on this for once.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Democrats have to expand the Supreme Court and add term limits if by some miracle they hold the House and add two Senate seats. 

1. End the filibuster

2. Expand the Supreme Court with 4 seats

3. Pass the Freedom to Vote Act

4. Make DC a state and add two Senators

These are the four biggest things that must happen if Dems retain power and add Senate seats to get around the two lite beer Republicans in Manchin and Sinema.

The senate needs to be based on population.  California has roughly 80 times the population of Wyoming.  California should have 6 senators, Wyoming should have 1.    Not every California senator would be a Democrat.   Even 6 to 1 wouldn't be fair.   DC gets no representation in the Senate, which is ridiculous since they have a bigger population than Wyoming.  

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Democrats need to go on a full frontal attack against Republicans and their radical view on guns. We need the kind of gory, graphic TV and social media/digital ads Republicans would run if 9/11 happened on Al Gores watch. Bodies of kids and grocery shoppers piling up. Democrats need to hammer this point home at every single campaign stop that Republicans don't care about your children or your personal safety when you're out doing everyday things like grocery shopping, going to the movies, at the mall, going to the beach, etc. They need to explain that the United States has more guns than any developed country on Earth and that it still hasn't made us safer. Savage the Republicans and put them on defense on this for once.

Don't worry, they're still complaining about Manchin. 

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The senate needs to be based on population.  California has roughly 80 times the population of Wyoming.  California should have 6 senators, Wyoming should have 1.    Not every California senator would be a Democrat.   Even 6 to 1 wouldn't be fair.   DC gets no representation in the Senate, which is ridiculous since they have a bigger population than Wyoming.  

media-1653483952913-May_12_2022_11_25_AM.thumb.jpg.e00a20e7cb94a9bb9faac7396bd5b930.jpg

Worth noting that the NRA is not the same NRA as it was prior to Bill Clinton.  The org has been compromised and is a tool by US gun manufacturers and a money laundering outfit.  I know many gun owners who have quit them.

The gunheads love to push their argument that we need more armed guards and that a good guy with a gun will stop a bad gun with a gun.  This is the 2nd incident in a few weeks where a bad guy with body armor defeated a good guy with a gun.    

It should not be very hard for everyone to come together and immediately ban the sale and possession of body armor.    

It won’t solve our problem but it’s a baby step forward in avoiding mass shootings in a time where we continue to either do nothing or take steps backwards.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Worth noting that the NRA is not the same NRA as it was prior to Bill Clinton.  The org has been compromised and is a tool by US gun manufacturers and a money laundering outfit.  I know many gun owners who have quit them.

In 1991 two things happened that really set us on this path.    Wayne LaPierre took over the NRA and turned it into what it is now and the Pharmaceutical Industry met and started their very hard push to widen the net for psychological disorders that would be qualified to use their many drugs.  Those two things go hand-in-hand.    It was all about money.  

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

Also infiltrated by Russia.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Wasn't there an armed guard at the supermarket in Buffalo?

Yes.  He apparently shot the shooter who was wearing body armor and the shooter was able to kill the guard.  There were reports of something similar happening yesterday with body armor protecting the shooter after he was shot.   

Just now, Hongbit said:

Yes.  He apparently shot the shooter who was wearing body armor and the shooter was able to kill the guard.  There were reports of something similar happening yesterday with body armor protecting the shooter after he was shot.   

yeah something I read was that the police encountered this dude before he got to the school.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Yes, but won't you need body armor to defend yourself against a tyrannical government?