Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My position as a gun owner who has built more than one AR by myself (way too easy to do that).  

• You need personal liability insurance to own a firearm
  • You are obligated to keep them under lock and key
  • If you can't rent a car you can't buy a guy
  • Background checks to which you self-certify annually. 
  • Fees for the background checks should fund some sort of mental health clearing house. 
  • No ghost guns allowed
  • Federal Tax stamps for ARs of any kind (these are required for fully automatic weapons and silencers now). 

I could think of a few more.  The nutters who are into this for boogaloo Civil War won't like all that. 

I'd like to add some sort of certification. Similar to a drivers license test, including a written test. All preformed by a reputable certified organization, none of these fly by night guys I see on facebook. Minimum of 16 hours training before taking test.

39 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My position as a gun owner who has built more than one AR by myself (way too easy to do that).  

• You need personal liability insurance to own a firearm
  • You are obligated to keep them under lock and key
  • If you can't rent a car you can't buy a guy
  • Background checks to which you self-certify annually. 
  • Fees for the background checks should fund some sort of mental health clearing house. 
  • No ghost guns allowed
  • Federal Tax stamps for ARs of any kind (these are required for fully automatic weapons and silencers now). 

I could think of a few more.  The nutters who are into this for boogaloo Civil War won't like all that. 

This a fine start Romad, but I still say the weapon has no useful purpose. Single action long guns for public sale only.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Things you can't buy/do at 18:

Tabacco

Alcohol

Rent a hotel room

Rent a car

Things you can buy

Assault Rifle

Can we at least start here? 

I'd be ok with allowing an 18 year old have an assault type rifle if they signed up for a three year military tour first.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Feels like the least likely scenario here is that this is all an honest mistake.

That would be a surprise.

The basic job of LEO in this situation is to lay out basic facts with as much clarity as possible. You don't need to be a PR expert to understand that.

They have failed to do so and have only created more questions as to how this incident was responded to. At this point, there needs to be an investigation by the FBI or something into this.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That would be a surprise.

The basic job of LEO in this situation is to lay out basic facts with as much clarity as possible. You don't need to be a PR expert to understand that.

They have failed to do so and have only created more questions as to how this incident was responded to. At this point, there needs to be an investigation by the FBI or something into this.

Not 100% sure, but I think you're agreeing with me that the messaging here is probably influenced by state politics.

I also notice in the tweet that the original statement was attributed to the director of the Texas DPS, while the statement changing that story was issued by the Texas DPS, not the director. I wonder whether that's an intentional or accidental distinction. If it's accidental it might mean nothing, but if it's intentional, that would mean the institution DPS would be at odds with and is contradicting the messaging of its director.