Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

WTF pfife? Grow up man...

Nah.  All I did was post a link from another part of the forum.   Not against any rules or maturity standards.

If you don't want people to respond and share a post (which is a function of the board, it's under the three dots on every post) then don't post.  It's pretty simple.

Edited by pfife

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND, GUYS!  buddha said something in the sports forum!  look guys!

stalker.

narcissist.  Reading the NBA playoff thread isn't stalking you 

also it's weird that you'd call me a stalker when you're the one studying where I post so much, kinda creepy

Edited by pfife

The Uvalde response can’t get enough scrutiny. It was a total cluster. It has been reported that a father that was trying to move toward the school perimeter was tasered. One of the moms trying to go beyond the police line was cuffed. All while a massacre was in progress.The parents were pleading with the cops to please act. 
WSJ is reporting the killer stood outside for 12 minutes shooting at a funeral home located across the street from the school prior to entering the school building. In days and weeks to come I have a pretty good feeling this is going to be a really ugly conversation around the response to this travesty. It needs to be. 

• Thanks 3

FWIW, I've learned it's childish to link to another part of this website, but Buddha is arguing in the NBA thread that Kerr's presser was about basketball - which it obviously was not.

You can continue to act like this guy operates in good faith in this forum...  but I refuse to.  The evidence is too overwhelming.

10 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Uvalde response can’t get enough scrutiny. It was a total cluster. It has been reported that a father that was trying to move toward the school perimeter was tasered. One of the moms trying to go beyond the police line was cuffed. All while a massacre was in progress.The parents were pleading with the cops to please act. 
WSJ is reporting the killer stood outside for 12 minutes shooting at a funeral home located across the street from the school prior to entering the school building. In days and weeks to come I have a pretty good feeling this is going to be a really ugly conversation around the response to this travesty. It needs to be. 

it's tragic, but not really surprising. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over 'defund the police' and it may have been the most asinine choice of political slogan of the century, but it grew out of a recognition that there is a lot wrong with policing in America. Too many departments with poor training, esp depts that are over militarized *and* under trained, too much bad culture.... lot's of problems. That said, if this tragedy only ends up focusing on the performance of the police in this situation and not the need to prevent police from having to be in this situation in the first place, it will just be another wasted opportunity.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's tragic, but not really surprising. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over 'defund the police' and it may have been the most asinine choice of political slogan of the century, but it grew out of a recognition that there is a lot wrong with policing in America. Too many departments with poor training, esp depts that are over militarized *and* under trained, too much bad culture.... lot's of problems. That said, if this tragedy only ends up focusing on the performance of the police in this situation and not the need to prevent police from having to be in this situation, it won't be any help in the end.

and yet many people think the only solution is more of the police there.  We need more of them to stand around and not do anything while parents go in and get their kids, without any armor or guns.

or maybe that kind of thing only happens to "mexican schools"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

FWIW, I've learned it's childish to link to another part of this website, but Buddha is arguing in the NBA thread that Kerr's presser was about basketball - which it obviously was not.

You can continue to act like this guy operates in good faith in this forum...  but I refuse to.  The evidence is too overwhelming.

lol.

go home pfife, youre drunk.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Absolutely correct. The local cops were overmatched, and then you have the state's response which has been a how-to in how not to handle a crisis.

People, especially conservatives, look at Texas as being a really well run state, but there are subunits within governments here that can be very poorly managed. DPS is one of them... it's an insular, good ol' boy outfit that is capable of doing good police work, but often times can be outmatched for the situation. And often doesn't find itself in situations where they have to answer tough questions.

That press conference yesterday with Escalon kinda encapsulated it well. People are angry and want answers, and the response did anything but provide answers. 

Edited by mtutiger

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's tragic, but not really surprising. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over 'defund the police' and it may have been the most asinine choice of political slogan of the century, but it grew out of a recognition that there is a lot wrong with policing in America. Too many departments with poor training, esp depts that are over militarized *and* under trained, too much bad culture.... lot's of problems. That said, if this tragedy only ends up focusing on the performance of the police in this situation and not the need to prevent police from having to be in this situation in the first place, it will just be another wasted opportunity.

No doubt, the takeaways here shouldn't just be about the police. But I do think it's important to figure out what the timeline was here.

And moreover, the tribal impulse to just fly the "thin blue line" flag and treat police as the Gods of civil service should be pierced on account of this... maybe one can not believe in defunding the police while still acknowledging that there are a number of ways in which law enforcement can fall short or can be improved. Whether it be in terms of equity or in terms of how individual incidents are handled.

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Absolutely correct. The local cops were overmatched, and then you have the state's response which has been a how-to in how not to handle a crisis.

People, especially conservatives, look at Texas as being a really well run state, but there are subunits within governments here that can be very poorly managed. DPS is one of them... it's an insular, good ol' boy outfit that is capable of doing good police work, but often times can be outmatched for the situation. And often doesn't find itself in situations where they have to answer tough questions.

That press conference yesterday with Escalon kinda encapsulated it well. People are angry and want answers, and the response did anything but provide answers. 

do you think texas is a well run state?  i have no idea.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I hope whatever organization(s) will eventually do the deep dive on this does so independently and the honest facts are brought out.  It probably won't move the needle on stricter gun control, but the truth of this incident (and others) needs to be out there.  Maybe eventually a generation or two down the line will be wise enough to remember their time in school and realize that there might be better preventative ways to stifling this rather than going through active shooter drills.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

do you think texas is a well run state?  i have no idea.

Like most states, it's a mixed bag. Obviously the state has had a lot of success attracting outsiders, but the reasons aren't purely on how the state is run but also hinges on inherent advantages that the state has that others do not (ie. the availability of cheap and easily developable land, the oil and gas reserves that this state has, etc.)

But having said all of that, the response not only to this incident but also to COVID (particularly how the state would impede the ability of local governments to have self-determination) and the February 2021 winter storm really has brought into question the competence of parts of the Texas government IMO. The winter storm, in particular - in a world where partisan polarization isn't what it is, Abbott should lose his job for that performance alone.

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Like most states, it's a mixed bag. Obviously the state has had a lot of success attracting outsiders, but the reasons aren't purely on how the state is run but also hinges on inherent advantages that the state has that others do not (ie. the availability of cheap and easily developable land, the oil and gas reserves that this state has, etc.)

But having said all of that, the response not only to this incident but also to COVID (particularly how the state would impede the ability of local governments to have self-determination) and the February 2021 winter storm really has brought into question the competence of parts of the Texas government IMO. The winter storm, in particular - in a world where partisan polarization isn't what it is, Abbott should lose his job for that performance alone.

do you think there is any chance abbott loses?  as an outsider, i have a hard time thinking beto can actually beat him.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

do you think there is any chance abbott loses?  as an outsider, i have a hard time thinking beto can actually beat him.

Unfortunately no. Although I do believe the result could be closer than outsiders tend to expect given the national environment.

I do think Paxton, the AG, his race will be the closest in November because of his legal troubles. Not sure it will be enough to win, but that will be the best Dem performance guarunteed.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

Unfortunately no. Although I do believe the result could be closer than outsiders tend to expect given the national environment.

was there a better alternative than beto?

he seems like yesterdays news and his gun stance seems like it wont fly in large parts of texas.  at least with the people i talk to in texas.