Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have had a lifetime permit for 20 years. It was a little difficult to obtain one. You had to go to your local police station, get fingerprinted and go through a background check. It cost about $80 all together and took a month or two to get license in the mail.

I think it should be difficult to get gun permits of any kind, so that's a good thing.  

46 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have had a lifetime permit for 20 years. It was a little difficult to obtain one. You had to go to your local police station, get fingerprinted and go through a background check. It cost about $80 all together and took a month or two to get license in the mail.

Any requirements on firearm safety? Personally I believe this should be included as well. Getting security clearance is too easy.

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

You gotta be all kinds of stupid to think that guy was not going to bring a gun to the mall because he didn't have a concealed carry permit.

Speaking of being all kinds of stupid, imagine having gun violence rates that dwarf everywhere else in the world and thinking we're on the right track.  THat's all kinds of stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No personal aspersions intended (!), but nobody should be given a gun permit for life, ever. They didn't know 20 yrs ago you might not be schizophrenic suffering paranoid delusions in 20 yrs, or that you wouldn't go soft in the head and fall for some Jim Jones type charlatan. Terrible policy. Completely 2A, but still terrible.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Any requirements on firearm safety? Personally I believe this should be included as well. Getting security clearance is too easy.

None, in the past 10 years or so I have been buying parts from Roush, Saleen, Shelby etc. on their take off parts. When I go to pickup these parts we usually pay cash. Carrying 30-40K in my pocket makes me nervous. Indiana CCW was not honored in alot of states I would travel to including Ohio. I went to Utah and took a 8 hour CCW course and was certified. This covered 75% of states I did transactions in. Since then alot of states including Ohio dropped those requirements and accepted Indianas. With CCW dropped here I don't know how all the works now.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

No personal aspersions intended (!), but nobody should be given a gun permit for life, ever. They didn't know 20 yrs ago you might not be schizophrenic suffering paranoid delusions in 20 yrs, or that you wouldn't go soft in the head and fall for some Jim Jones type charlatan. Terrible policy. Completely 2A, but still terrible.

When I left the Army the first time I started working for a military contractor. Once you do that you basically give up your rights as a U.S. Citizen during that time deployed (Uncle Sam will not extract if you are compromised). I had to take out life insurance on myself for war zone coverage. When I left that line of work I had to re-apply for CCW as a brand new applicant. They do check mental health through the VA as I was contacted during that time for a mental health eval. 

• Like 1

I've been seeing a lot of on line ads for the Utah Course down here. I know of at least two gun shops within a 3 mile radius of the crossroads they call a town near us.

I guess my concerns about the background checks comes from the annual renewals I needed to take to get TSA clearance to volunteer at DTW for several years. 

Edited by CMRivdogs

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I've been seeing a lot of on line ads for the Utah Course down here. I know of at least two gun shops within a 3 mile radius of the crossroads they call a town near us.

I guess my concerns about the background checks comes from the annual renewals I needed to take to get TSA clearance to volunteer at DTW for several years. 

I thought Texas had a pretty intense CCW training program? Classsroom and live fire range to qualify? Thats what my brother told me living down there.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I thought Texas had a pretty intense CCW training program? Classsroom and live fire range to qualify? Thats what my brother told me living down there.

I believe the Texas CCW test consists of a quick check for a pulse and then an intensive 20 minutes conversation to find out if you’ve had an abortion, know anyone who had an abortion, or god forbid know of a doctor that does abortions.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I believe the Texas CCW test consists of a quick check for a pulse and then an intensive 20 minutes conversation to find out if you’ve had an abortion, know anyone who had an abortion, or god forbid know of a doctor that does abortions.   

A quick google search says you are wrong:

https://www.concealedcarry-ed.com/texas/concealedcarry_law/

Texas Concealed Carry Laws

Texas License to Carry Permit Requirements

Applicant Requirements:

1. You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a Texas License to Carry (LTC).
  2. You must have a valid government-issued identification card, such as driver's license from Texas or another state.
  3. You must meet all qualifications to purchase a handgun.
  4. You must pass an approved classroom or online training course and demonstrate handgun proficiency shooting with a Texas-qualified LTC instructor.

Document Requirements:

1. Documentation showing successful completion of an approved gun safety class or training program*.
  2. Your completed application (LTC-78A) for the Texas License to Carry a handgun and any other supporting documents.

Note: In addition to the above requirements, out-of-state applicants must also submit a copy of their state driver's license or identification card, along with the LTC-6 form. Applicants who are born out of the United States must provide, in addition to the completed application, documents to support their legal status, such as Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

It’s a mental health problem.

Most folks who heavily support 2A are unlike to support more funding for mental health issues.

Much like those who are purportedly pro life are unlikely to support additional help for child care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2