Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The problem with Trump is that since all human relation is transactional to him, what you have to pay attention to is whose votes/money/support he will buy by backing their positions.

I would only change your sentence’s initial 4 words of “The problem with Trump” to “The truth of Trump” in order to make this the definition of the man his whole life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Five bucks says the Trump campaign will immediately start hammering this story to divert from the shooting in Trump country.

Gun safety reforms are needed to protect people in Chicago, schools in Georgia, and all across the country. This shooting still falls at the feet of the gun nuts.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Five bucks says the Trump campaign will immediately start hammering this story to divert from the shooting in Trump country.

This one is bizarre. Chicago 7 news reports the perp has been arrested before for carrying on the trains but charges were always dropped because he had a permit and even worked as a security guard - but things are still a little murky because he has changed his name and they haven't confirmed everything they found applies to the right guy....

3 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

School four miles from where we live.

SRO did his job!

"did his job" - after four people were dead and dozens more injured?

SROs are a terrible addition to any school environment. They make black and brown kids feel isolated in a place they should feel safe, they place more children into the never-ending cycle of criminal justice, and ultimately they just insert more distrust and unease into a place where children should feel safe. News flash, it's not like police departments are putting their best and brightest into the schools. John Oliver did a really good piece on this a few years back.

But they sometimes... plausibly... maybe... mitigate the death toll of the inevitable school shootings, and since we as a society don't want to actually address the plainly obvious root cause of school shootings (i.e., the apparatus involved in every single one of them), we just say all of those consequences are okay for our children to suffer through.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

But they sometimes... plausibly... maybe... mitigate 

exactly. It's the fallacy of initiative. A responder will never stop anything from happening, only get there after it's started happening, maybe end it after damage is already done.

• Like 1

Ok, interesting comments.

The community, specifically the subdivision, we live in is predominantly black and hispanic with most of them attending this school.  To say that they, the brown and black feel displaced by SRO in the school, is stereotyping that I can tell you firsthand is not accurate for this school. But carry on...no pun intended.

3 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

Ok, interesting comments.

The community, specifically the subdivision, we live in is predominantly black and hispanic with most of them attending this school.  To say that they, the brown and black feel displaced by SRO in the school, is stereotyping that I can tell you firsthand is not accurate for this school. But carry on...no pun intended.

It's fair to say I painted with a broad brush. I am sure there are communities, including black and brown communities, where schools love their SROs.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I used to be a foster parent and used to work in child welfare, and I had several children both as fosters and clients who were ostracized and isolated by their experiences with SROs. If a kid comes in with a neutral or positive mindset about cops, then they are likely to have a better experience than the ones I knew. Their past experience with cops were as they arrested mom or dad, or removed them from their home, or arrested them themselves.

They would often express feeling followed and singled out by their SRO in a school environment, where kids should be able to make mistakes (obviously not to the magnitude we talk about in this thread) surrounded by supports, without the nagging concern that their mistakes will cause them to join their parents in the criminal justice system. From a more legal standpoint too, SROs are infamous for interviewing, interrogating, and getting statements from students without their parents present or ever having been informed. They want to have their cake and eat it too, with the school saying "we don't need a parent here to investigate school discipline", but the SRO sitting right next to the Assistant Principal during interviews, and all of a sudden that whole report your child gave for "school discipline" reasons finds its way into a police report on the desk of a Prosecutor. I would tell my foster children do not under any circumstance speak to the SRO or make any written statement without me present. It is in no way in their interests.

The studies across a large sample size don't support the use of SROs and the media stories speak to that on a case study basis too. There are far more instances of SROs assaulting children for mere insubordination, arresting children for nonsensical things, and handcuffing autistic children as young as five than there are of hero SROs stopping or preventing a school shooting. That money would be far better spent on additional mental health professionals who can create authentic relationships with students, without the need to holster a gun in the process.

I encourage you (and anyone really) to watch that John Oliver piece.

• Like 2

A million thank yous to the Oakland County Prosecutors who set a new precedent that the SUPPLIERS of these horrible weapons will be part of the charges.   Maybe more people will wake up and realize children shouldn't have guns like this.  You can still take your kids hunting, but you won't be using THESE types of weapons.    

Took brass balls for the folks in Oakland County to take that (seemingly) risky step, but now we see it being followed in Georgia.      

Well done, Karen McDonald & Crew.   Your persistence will eventually save lives ! 

• Like 2

some on line have written, this kid never had a chance

idiot father buys a 13 year old an AR15 for Christmas after talking to FBI about threats

appears he may have been abandoned by his mom, who took her other 2 kids and left him with his dad; that will screw up anyone

Crumbley was asking for therapy; maybe he was too

maybe they can share a cell?

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

idiot father buys a 13 year old an AR15 for Christmas after talking to FBI about threats

appears he may have been abandoned by his mom, who took her other 2 kids and left him with his dad; that will screw up anyone

Inflation is horrible. Used to be you reach about 13, pops might allow you to have a BB gun of your own.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I used to be angry at the father of Columbine shooter Eric Harris - Wayne Harris.   Wayne knew his kid had weapons and suspected he might be trying to build explosive devices in his basement but didn't stop him.   But Wayne did get his boy to a Therapist on several occasions, it wasn't enough, but he tried SOMETHING.     Did this jackass?    The Crumbleys sure as hell didn't.  And here's the thing - if the Crumbleys only TRIED to get their son help, neither one of them would be in jail right now.   Red Flags all over and daddy buys him a gun.    What the **** is wrong with people?  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Red Flags all over and daddy buys him a gun.    What the **** is wrong with people?  

From the reporting there were custody issues in this divorce. That is always ripe for both the parents and/or kids to play games to get what they want.

I guess this is a southern culture thing, but I will never understand how a 14-year-old, whose brain is not wired for adulthood even halfway, can be tried as an adult. That seems to me more like it’s meant to satisfy a kind of fascist bloodlust to maximally punish everyone all the time on behalf of the mob than it is a matter of public safety. The kid should be in the system for a long long time, perhaps for the rest of his life. But throwing him into a supermax prison among the worst, most psychotic adults in the world, hoping and praying he gets torn to shreds, doesn’t sound very Christian to me. Or maybe it does, I don’t know.