Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I find the coddling comment ironic coming from the side of the aisle that fears teaching 17 year olds critical thinking in advanced studies classes, and also wants a battalion of armed citizens in the classrooms.

Also, don't talk about the history of racism because it might make my son feel bad.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anyone who is highly motivated to get a weapon into school can do so without much problem. Having an armed sheriff's deputy on-site did nothing to stop Parkland.

If metal detectors and armed cops are not the answer, which you agree to, then all it's doing is making the grownups not affected by it feel better about what's happening someplace they never go to. Also, bonus: it prepares children to accept living in a police surveillance state, as befits the American notion of liberty.

So you live in Chicago right? They don't have SRO's and metal detectors at most schools? Is it the best answer no. But unless you can get policy/ laws changed before the next shooting that is sure to come do we just throw our hands up and say oh well? 

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I find the coddling comment ironic coming from the side of the aisle that fears teaching 17 year olds critical thinking in advanced studies classes, and also wants a battalion of armed citizens in the classrooms.

don't forget trans people in the bathroom.  The big tough guys don't like that.  And wearing a mask to the grocery store.  it's uncomfortable.  And if they hear Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas it hurts their feelings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I wish both sides were less guilty on the 'coddling' charge but the irony still holds here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So you live in Chicago right? They don't have SRO's and metal detectors at most schools? Is it the best answer no. But unless you can get policy/ laws changed before the next shooting that is sure to come do we just throw our hands up and say oh well? 

If metal detectors and armed police on-site at schools are "not the answer", then I see no purpose to implementing them. Throwing up your hands and saying oh well seems to be just as good an answer.

I think stopping mass shootings, and shootings in general, has more to do with reducing access to guns, creating better and more equitable educational and vocational opportunities, improving social and health services, and generally making people feel welcome and a part of their community rather alienated and alone. I don't see the point in doing something anything even if it's not the answer, other than to give people some false sense of security that, hey, we've done something anything, so it's not our fault that the shootings continue unabated.

The whole airport/school/stadium security theater debacle is really little more than a way for private companies to siphon off taxpayer dollars to no real end.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I think if a school is located in a high crime area, these kinds of measures might make sense, not so much to prevent mass shootings, but to prevent violent crime in general.  It's unfortunate to have to create that kind of environment at a school, but there are limited cases where I can see where it would make sense.  However, most schools are not located in high crime areas and don't typically have many problems with shootings.  Requiring all schools to have metal detectors and armed guards in an effort to stop a random mass shooting is going to create a feeling that the school is like a war zone.  That's not a good environment.  

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

so wokeness and political correctness led to this?

that's a new one.

What about CRT?  Lack of prayer in school?  School integration? The gays? 

If Memes could type.

Its about how society in general has changed and how we are coddling people.  I remember the speech I got as a young teenager. I was told if I got into trouble with the law, jail was the safest place I could be because when I got home the real punishment would be handed out.  That doesn't happen much anymore even in my house when my kids were growing up. 

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

don't forget trans people in the bathroom.  The big tough guys don't like that.  And wearing a mask to the grocery store.  it's uncomfortable.  And if they hear Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas it hurts their feelings.

You make light of these thing but these issues cause a lot of anger with some people.  Its more convienient to blame a hunk of steel so lets do that and laugh at the real problem.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

You make light of these thing but these issues cause a lot of anger with some people.  Its more convienient to blame a hunk of steel so lets do that and laugh at the real problem.

so it all boils down to y'alls fee fees.   who'da thunk it

1 hour ago, Archie said:

A lot of what you are saying is already being done. If you have a carry permit it has to be renewed. When you buy a gun you go through a check that the state keeps on file. Also if you want to purchase a supressor or automatic rifle you have to go through additional checks and a lot of extra fees. The whole process for that can take a couple years.

If there was a gun buy back only law abiding citizens would turn in legal firearms. The country would still be full of illegal guns in the hands of criminals.  I'm sure there would be no problems with that!

We didn't have these mass shooting problems in the 1950s. At that time guns were much more available and easier to obtain.  When I was in high school my friends had rifles in their cars during hunting season.  We didn't have an issue. This is more of a problem with society than a gun problem. Everyone wants to blame the gun when they are overlooking the real problem.  

When I see and advertisement for on line concealed carry certification on Facebook, something tells me the whole gun permit thing is bogus. I'll admit there may be some legitimacy out there, but is there any regulation that has any real teeth.

I've posted this before in the other forum long ago and far away. Before any potential gun buyer can make a purchase he/she must present evidence of insurance ( from a certified reputable company) and evidence of firearm training (minimum 20 hours of gun safety, handling, rules etc). I also support a mandatory two week waiting period between the purchase and delivery of a weapon. Hell, if it takes a month or longer to buy a couch or order a piano, one can wait two weeks before going out and shooting at targets, cans, rodents etc.

I also support a gun tax, similar to car registration fees we pay annually on vehicles.

And tax the hell out of ammunition and gunpowder.

It may nonstop anything, but 2A says "well regulated" militia. I'm just following the constitution.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

1 minute ago, pfife said:

so it all boils down to y'alls fee fees.   who'da thunk it

Apparently we needs to coddle these people so they aren’t mad about masks and trans people. 

• Like 1

If you don't think there is a lot of anger in society today look at other things besides shootings.  You can't drive down the road anymore without someone wanting to fight.  Roadrage is out of control.  How about all the fights in stores and malls over stupid things?  Fights at Disney over lines.  Fights on planes.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  What about all the violence in the last two Presidential elections and how people were beaten for wearing a Trump hat or shirt.  None of this violence is acceptable but this is how our society has changed and not for the better.  Did a gun cause this?

15 minutes ago, Archie said:

If you don't think there is a lot of anger in society today look at other things besides shootings.  You can't drive down the road anymore without someone wanting to fight.  Roadrage is out of control.  How about all the fights in stores and malls over things?  Fights at Disney over lines.  Fights on planes.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  What about all the violence in the last two Presidential elections and how people were beaten for wearing a Trump hat or shirt.  None of this violence is acceptable but this is how our society has changed and not for the better.  Did a gun cause this?

you make your own argument though Arch. If you have a more volatile society - for whatever reason, maybe it's a good idea to reduce the availability of lethal weapons at the hand for a people growing more irritable? 

There is stuff we know how to do and other stuff we know a lot less well how to do. It seems the height of folly to me to pass on the solution you can do in favor of bewailing that you don't know how to solve the problems you can't. And since the bottom line is that to widely disseminate personal killing devices actually serves no useful purpose in a civil society, there is no real cost to removing them - other than their entertainment value. That's should be a pretty easy call for a rational person/society to make in my book.

Edited by gehringer_2

yeah outrage culture... and republicans are the victims.

Damn.... this is straight up.

People are pissed and get mad easily.  Don't coddle the liberals.  Coddle the tough conservatives that have guns because they might shoot you but don't away the guns. Just coddle.  Coddle for me but not for thee.

• Like 1