Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

On 12/26/2021 at 6:11 AM, Archie said:

I'm speaking from experience and knowledge where a lot of people here are guided by their feelings and or politics.

That's politics, Suzyn!

Seriously, listen to any debate on health care or tax policy or foreign policy during the Trump years, and you'll hear a whole raft of reflexive opinions. Particularly with regard to health care, where it seemed many opinions against the ACA had to do with whose administration the law was born under than the actual substance of the bill

Edited by mtutiger

On 11/19/2021 at 5:27 PM, buddha said:

there are a lot of problems with that chapter in freakonomics.

I'm going back in time because I ended up down a rabbithole today of pseudoscience claims of Freakonomics. Yada Yada Yada was listening to back catalogue of Levitt's podcast and he had some questionable people on that got me poking around. Dubner's association with Dr. Oz is troubling at best, discrediting of the entire enterprise at worst.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I understand that a police officer was killed with their own gun recently.  

I took the racial, gender and sensational language about executions out of that statement and made it a subject we can all talk about.

If someone goes after an officers gun that usually means they're going to get shot.  That is what happened to Michael Brown and he paid for it.  

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/13/more-than-2-in-3-chicagoans-feel-unsafe-in-their-own-neighborhoods-chicago-index-survey-finds/?utm_source=Pico&utm_campaign=16ebddf4a6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_01_06_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b6b84a5cee-16ebddf4a6-124063403&mc_cid=16ebddf4a6&mc_eid=30fe6c2596

Fewer than one-quarter of Chicago residents feel the city is safe after almost two years of a pandemic and surging citywide crime, and fewer than one-third feel safe in their own neighborhoods, according to a new survey conducted through the Chicago Index.

Chicago recorded 836 homicides in 2021, an uptick from the city’s historically violent 2020 and a number not seen in Chicago since 1994. The crime surge has set off a circle of finger-pointing among Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Chicago Police Department leaders and leaders of the Cook County court system.

Other “quality of life” metrics also nosedived in the most recent survey. Seventy-two percent of respondents said they feel less safe retail shopping in Chicago than they did in 2019. The same percentage said they felt less safe going out to movies or concerts, and 84 percent said they felt less safe riding public transportation than they did in 2019. 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think you are a little off topic under the gun thread 😊   I did see the list of EO orders that Younkin signed and I didn't see anything major so this probably a partisan complaint on Fred's part.  Maybe it was the part about establishing a committee on anti-Semitism.  That hits home with a lot of dems.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Having stared at her face as the female AQ lady for a long time back in the 2004-2006 time frame...it was weird hearing Aafia Siddiqui's name again.  She did have very nice eyes.  No wonder the Jihadi boys loved her. 

CNN is reporting all hostages have been rescued.