Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Democrats are being labeled as weak on crime when red states are the ones with the crime issues. Red states generally have looser gun laws and more access to guns (I've mentioned this before). Red states generally are poorer due to their economy policies. Red states generally have poorer education due to their policies. 

i dont think democrats are "weak on crime" either.  

i do think a more traditional method of dealing with crime (more police, more arrests, more surveillance of communities where the crime occurs) would lead to a reduction in crime, but the side effects from that wouldnt be tolerable to me.  as in, i think it would lead to more innocent people being harassed and incarcerated.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

i do think a more traditional method of dealing with crime (more police, more arrests, more surveillance of communities where the crime occurs) would lead to a reduction in crime, but the side effects from that wouldnt be tolerable to me.  as in, i think it would lead to more innocent people being harassed and incarcerated.

It seems we know the real alternatives, regardless of whether we are willing to admit the political reality they imply to ourselves or not: Either improve living conditions and income for the US poor, or keep putting a lot of them in jail. I think America's real political/moral problem is that a majority of the public is perfectly happy with the latter instead of the former as long as it's cheaper for them.

And of course even the savings is only short term, net national wealth would go up if the poor became more economically productive.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It seems we know the real alternatives, regardless of whether we are willing to admit the political reality they imply to ourselves or not: Either improve living conditions and income for the US poor, or keep putting a lot of them in jail. I think America's real political/moral problem is that a majority of the public is perfectly happy with the latter instead of the former as long as it's cheaper for them.

And of course even the savings is only short term, net national wealth would go up if the poor became more economically productive.

america has the harshest form of calvinist protestantism, lol.  whatever your condition may be, it is up to you to get out of it and it is your individual responsibility to get out of it.

that thinking has pros and cons.  we choose to live with the cons.

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

(southern agricultural states

well, to call  'agricultural' the cause is a bit of euphemism. MN, IA, WI, OH all have deep agricultural history. The difference was agriculture based on slavery and the ensuing decades of denial of economic opportunity or wealth accumulation to a big segment of the population that happened to be the descendents of those slaves.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

america has the harshest form of calvinist protestantism, lol.  whatever your condition may be, it is up to you to get out of it and it is your individual responsibility to get out of it.

that thinking has pros and cons.  we choose to live with the cons.

correct. Though I'm not sure even the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" paradigm captures the full fatalism of Calvinism, which is along the lines that you are just destined to be what you are. The children of Ham are cursed, etc. 

Parenthetically - In defense of Calvin, from what I've read, he wouldn't necessarily recognize "his" theology in where his followers/interpreters took his movement.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct. Though I'm not sure even the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" paradigm captures the full fatalism of Calvinism, which is along the lines that you are just destined to be what you are. 

yes, but what you do SHOWS what that destiny truly is!

calvin was a weird sob.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, to call  'agricultural' the cause is a bit of euphemism. MN, IA, WI, OH all have deep agricultural history. The difference was agriculture based on slavery and the ensuing decades of denial of economic opportunity or wealth accumulation to a big segment of the population that happened to be the descendents of those slaves.

i figured that was assumed.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

... Though I'm not sure even the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" paradigm captures the full fatalism of Calvinism, which is along the lines that you are just destined to be what you are. The children of Ham are cursed, etc...

7 hours ago, buddha said:

yes, but what you do SHOWS what that destiny truly is! ...

This is so weird if you actually think about it. 

Whatever life I build for myself, whatever career, family, choices, "pull myself up from bootstraps", life... I make for myself... was my "destiny".

Pretty much horseshit. There is no destiny. Only what you create for yourself. And that's not destiny, that's making choices. It's so weird to think that people look at that and think "Oh, that was meant to be...".

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is so weird if you actually think about it. 

Whatever life I build for myself, whatever career, family, choices, "pull myself up from bootstraps", life... I make for myself... was my "destiny".

Pretty much horseshit. There is no destiny. Only what you create for yourself. And that's not destiny, that's making choices. It's so weird to think that people look at that and think "Oh, that was meant to be...".

everything is according to god's plan.

23 hours ago, buddha said:

I think the dems get labeled weak on crime because NYC and LA (Gascon mainly) being very lenient on some criminals and because of the dems that participate in the defund the police mantra.  In other words, the actions of a few are affecting the entire party.   

Edited by Archie

10 hours ago, Archie said:

I think the dems get labeled weak on crime because NYC and LA (Gascon mainly) being very lenient on some criminals and because of the dems that participate in the defund the police mantra.  In other words, the actions of a few are affecting the entire party.   

The dems get labeled weak on crime b/c it helps the GOP win elections

19 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I used to hear that stuff as a child and think that I might as well not make an effort.

True ... if God already has everything all planned out, what's the point of trying, or pretending to make any choices? After all, it's already planned out. Q.E.D.

The omniscient, omnipotent God theology is also what makes praying pointless. Literally everything is already worked out in advance because God's plan. What makes you think God's going to change His whole plan just because you prayed to bowl a turkey in the tenth frame?

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I saw this article and it made me think of you.

Was the gun legal? Since this is in the middle of a liberal cesspool I have my doubt?  Even if it is illegal it shouldn't be accesable to anyone but the owner.

So you would be happy if all responsible and legal firearm owner had their firearms taken away?  That would be very communist of you but would be a big hit with your fellow commies AKA liberals.  That way the criminals would have the upper hand like they do in other countries.  See the attached article.

Now the Biden or whoever is running the country is going to make the border open more to illegals everyone needs to find a way to defend themselves against the crime the democrats will be bringing to the country.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/08/pensioner-fatally-stabbed-burglar-goes-hiding-fears-revenge-attack-7449734/

10 minutes ago, Archie said:

Was the gun legal? Since this is in the middle of a liberal cesspool I have my doubt?  Even if it is illegal it shouldn't be accesable to anyone but the owner.

So you would be happy if all responsible and legal firearm owner had their firearms taken away?  That would be very communist of you but would be a big hit with your fellow commies AKA liberals.  That way the criminals would have the upper hand like they do in other countries.  See the attached article.

Now the Biden or whoever is running the country is going to make the border open more to illegals everyone needs to find a way to defend themselves against the crime the democrats will be bringing to the country.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/08/pensioner-fatally-stabbed-burglar-goes-hiding-fears-revenge-attack-7449734/

A three year old found a gun on a bed and you're here talking about Biden, commies, and responsible gun owners.  These articles remind me of your bad posts every single time.

Edited by pfife