Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

And that was the intent of the founding fathers when they established the Constitution. The purpose of the structure of our government forces debate and equal representation,

and that leaves us with an ill-functioning anachronism of a government when the rest of the democratically governed world was whizzed right past us with far more functional parliamentary systems. The world the founders were writing for is gone - dead and buried; every bit as dead as the Senate of Rome. We can respect the philosophy of government by the people they championed without being bound by same limits imposed by the practicalities in 1787 when those imposed by 2022 are much different.

We either rebuild a government for the country we are now or we perish clinging to fantasies of an  idealized past. LOL -  If the founders were as misty eyed about the past as today's American 'Originalists' are, they never would have overthrown their divinely providenced King.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Around a month ago, the very same Governor sitting up there at the dais commissioned a study into why Texas has a major teacher shortage.

I'm sure making it an expectation that teachers be armed will be a major boon to increasing the supply of teachers in the state. Completely logical and not insane lol

28 minutes ago, pfife said:

ah yes, the intent of the founding fathers.   My favorite justification for all injustice. 

Checking in with the "intent of the founding fathers" department, it was to protect slavery.   Sweet intentions.  

exactamundo. Or maybe we check in with Matthew Hale for more historical 'intent'

50 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

But then we're stuck unnecessarily with decades of minority rule until those Justices age out. Why should people suffer needlessly at the hands of minority rule for decades when we can just add Justices and work to fix the solution?

Either side of the political spectrum can make the very same argument you’re making in your comments above at some point depending on their perspective and the make up of the court. Honestly, where do you draw the line in adding justices? Appreciate your opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It could have been worse. The power grid could have failed and the shooter had night vision goggles. 

So the baseline for the performance of public safety by the government in Tx is for parents to expect *more* than nineteen of their children to be gunned down on their average day at school? And surveys say voters prefer the GOP on crime issues?

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Either side of the political spectrum can make the very same argument you’re making in your comments above at some point depending on their perspective and the make up of the court. Honestly, where do you draw the line in adding justices? Appreciate your opinion. 

I will agree the court is not really the problem and trying to 'fix' things there is just just as likely to lead to more mischief down the road, the Senate and the EC (i.e Constitution) are the problem.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

we have term limits in MI, they have been pretty much a disaster. Be careful what you wish for.

A Professor of mine from Wayne State University, Dr. Majorie Sarbaugh-Thompson wrote an entire book on MI term limits. They have indeed been a disaster. They have put lobbying efforts on hyperdrive in Michigan and dramatically reduced legislator effectiveness by limiting institutional knowledge.

48 minutes ago, pfife said:

Checking in with the "intent of the founding fathers" department, it was to protect slavery.   Sweet intentions.  

Sadly, you probably aren’t trying to be funny. But you are totally wrong. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, 1776 said:

You draw the line when the majority opinion is what governs this country and we end tyranny of the minority. So that means you draw the line when the overall structure of government and how we elect people is sufficiently in place to represent that majority. The Senate needs to be abolished or reformatted as G2 said where you have a singular, 10 year term for Senators. It is not a deliberative body of government as the Founders intended, it has become, thanks to rules like the filibuster and reconciliation, an obstructionist body of government. Adding seats to DC and Puerto Rico would potentially help balance the Senate back out as a short term fix. Abolishing the Senate though would be the best measure long term. Unicameral legislative government operates just fine and there is no need to have a second body of government deliberating the same thing. Having a larger House of Representatives would be suffice IMO.

Other things that need to be done to ensure the majority of people get to govern include ending the Electoral College and ending all types of partisan gerrymandering. Districts should be drawn by equitable standards across the country and politicians should never get to pick their voters. The district packing that occurs to voters and under or overrepresentation of a certain political party or ideology within a district needs to stop. We need districts that are fair and reflective of how a state votes overall. So If Michigan votes 53%-47% Dem to Rep then roughly 53% of those seats should be Dem represented or lean-Dem electorally. Same goes for Texas or any red state.

Until these measures are in place, we need a Supreme Court capable of ensuring that tyranny of the minority opinion, as we have now with the Senate and Electoral College, are limited and the structural, anti-democratic imbalances and legal imperfections are changed.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I find it funny you skipped over Texas. Texas has more people than New York and is the 2nd largest state but you made sure to only mention the large liberal states. I think you're telling on yourself. Again, Californians and New Yorkers are every bit American as West Virginians so why do they count less? 

You think I’m telling on myself? Weird comment.

Beyond that, we’re not going to agree on changing Senate representation. 

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

You think I’m telling on myself? Weird comment.

Beyond that, we’re not going to agree on changing Senate representation. 

Of course because you can't provide a good reason why Wyoming has such unequal representation. 

I think it's weird that you skipped over Texas when mentioning the largest states you don't want to be told what to do by. Actually, I don't think it's weird. It's a common talking point by the right as they use the California and New York boogeyman. You forgot both Texas and Florida which are larger than New York but red. It would be fine if those two states told us what to do. I mean, if we don't want California and New York to tell us what to do, shouldn't Kevin McCarthy and Elise Stefanik lose their leadership positions? 

ever notice when this kind of thing happens it's always "The guy bought the gun last week"

It's never "he got the gun from a guy on the street in an alley in exchange for sex".  And it's always a gun they buy.  They never buy a knife or baseball bat or swimming pool or car.