Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

BREAKING: The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety admitted Friday that it was the “wrong decision” for officers to wait outside a classroom door as a shooter killed children inside.

• Thanks 1

My idle thought watching the police press conference,,,if you want to look like a total idiot in the aftermath of another massive slaughter, wear a fucking cowboy hat as part of your police uniform.

Did you hear Abbott say that gun laws have been relatively the same for 60 years without this type of problem having occurred?  He chose 60 carefully so that he could conveniently overlook the granddaddy of them all, Charles Whitman.

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

My idle thought watching the police press conference,,,if you want to look like a total idiot in the aftermath of another massive slaughter, wear a fucking cowboy hat as part of your police uniform.

Did you hear Abbott say that gun laws have been relatively the same for 60 years without this type of problem having occurred?  He chose 60 carefully so that he could conveniently overlook the granddaddy of them all, Charles Whitman.

This one bugs me too. They all think they are John Wayne or something.

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

he also lied b/c the weapon used in this latest GOP-sponsored children's event was banned here for a decade within the past 60 years.   They've also been loosening gun laws in Texas within the very very recent past. 

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Harsh, but maybe Archie should internalize that when he worries about the poor gun owners, to a lot of folks, that comes across as complete disregard for the rights of kids to be able to go to a school without fear.

Why should I not be able to protect myself and my family?  This country is very dangerous and the democrats and their policies are to blame.  It will only get worse as long as they are in office.  I'm not too worried because there is no way they are taking guns from people.

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

Why should I not be able to protect myself and my family?  This country is very dangerous and the democrats and their policies are to blame.  It will only get worse as long as they are in office.  I'm not too worried because there is no way they are taking guns from people.

lol

Abbot says the laws have been relatively consistent?  

Maybe he was drunk when he did this then?  Heeeeeyooooo right Tigerholic & Buddha?  Haha drunk!!!

Carrying a gun in Texas required a permit, until September 2021, when a state law freed Texans from the permit requirement. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill last summer championed by gun rights' advocates that allowed for permitless carry.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-school-shooting-ar15-gun-laws/

37 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Harsh, but maybe Archie should internalize that when he worries about the poor gun owners, to a lot of folks, that comes across as complete disregard for the rights of kids to be able to go to a school without being shot to death.

FTFY.

23 minutes ago, Archie said:

You care about kids?  Ha!  You were one of the people here supporting abortion so like others here that's just more political theater.  All you really care about is supporting an agenda of your political party.  The hypocrisy here is over the top.  

Always deflection. Because no answers for the issue at hand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Archie said:

Lots of Archie strawmen in just a few posts. This is the exact mindset as to why this keeps and will continue to happen, as nothing will be done to address the issue. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Always deflection. Because no answers for the issue at hand.

For people that truly believe abortion is taking the life of a baby, it's not that much of a deflection.

That said, funny how the only way to deal with abortion is to make it next to impossible to get one, even if a mother's doctor believes it could kill her.  Yet when it's 9-10 year old's lying in a pool of their own blood, there is simply nothing we can do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Everything you propose only hurts the legal gun owner.  What's your proposal to take illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands illegal gun owners.  How to end the hundreds if not thousand of kids being shot in places like Chicago?

Guns are very serious tools designed for one purpose - killing.  Your right to own a gun is not a concern of mine.  I am making a concession here though because I know that banning guns is impossible.  So, I am allowing responsible people to own guns while proposing things which I believe will make it more difficult for undesirables to get guns.  Guns are not toys and should not be treated as such.  It's time to stop making excuses and pretending there is nothing we can do to keep the guns out of hands of people that are slaughtering children all over the United States.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

For people that truly believe abortion is taking the life of a baby, it's not that much of a deflection.

Yet it really is because they are completely separate  issues. The only connection is the subject is life and death, but thousands of things relate to life and death, that doesn't show that there is an any functional or legal dependence between treating the issues at all. Is the mindset that any murder, mayhem, war or famine is not be addressed because abortion? It's like saying you can't address stray dog licensing because of crypto currency because they both involve money. 

At core it's just an ad hominem attempting to attack the  opponents based on bad faith, which is ridiculous, irrelevant and non-sequitur.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

At some point the people complaining too hard about reasonable gun control doth protest too much. Makes me think they have something in their past that may show up in a background check...

If you've got nothing to hide...

43 minutes ago, Archie said:

You care about kids?  Ha!  You were one of the people here supporting abortion so like others here that's just more political theater.  All you really care about is supporting an agenda of your political party.  The hypocrisy here is over the top.  

Abortion and mass killing of children are completely different issues.  Every sane person knows that slaughtering 10-year old children is wrong.  Abortion is much less obvious because it rarely involves a human being that could exist outside the woman's body.  There is no agreement at all as to whether abortion is murder.  The majority of Americans think it isn't.     

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

At core it's just an ad hominem attempting to attack the  opponents based on bad faith, which is ridiculous, irrelevant and non-sequitur.

It's also hypocritical because the folks who trot out that ad hominem do so in order to more or less defend a status quo that allows for these events to happen.

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Abortion and mass killing of children are completely different issues.  Every sane person knows that slaughtering 10-year old children is wrong.  Abortion is much less obvious because it rarely involves a human being that could exist outside the woman's body.  There is no agreement at all as to whether abortion is murder.  The majority of Americans think it isn't.     

I will not speak about abortion on this board anymore, everyone here has their convictions and I respect them. I do feel in the U.S. a child is not safe in the womb or the classroom that should bother everyone.

• Like 1