Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

15 hours ago, Kacie said:

The Uvalde police force are cowardly pussies. Probably couldn't be bothered to save a bunch of brown kids. 

The same thoughts have entered my thinking on this. I have been somewhat surprised to this point that the ethnicity of this school population hasn’t been directly introduced into the media coverage when assessing the total avoidance of action on the part of security and law enforcement. If it has before now, I haven’t seen it. 

20 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't think it's Hollywood at all, I think it has to be something a lot deeper in your culture. 

You’re right, Hollywood didn’t make the culture, but Hollywood does reflects the culture. Hollywood also validates the culture, and they contribute to ossifying the culture when they reflect it in their stories by culminating it with such positive outcomes.

When it comes to Hollywood and our history to explain how we’ve arrived where we are politically with guns, it’s not a case of either-or. It’s a case of both-and.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You’re right, Hollywood didn’t make the culture, but Hollywood does reflects the culture. Hollywood also validates the culture, and they contribute to ossifying the culture when they reflect it in their stories by culminating it with such positive outcomes.

When it comes to Hollywood and our history to explain how we’ve arrived where we are politically with guns, it’s not a case of either-or. It’s a case of both-and.

I think that Hollywood just makes money from a violent subculture that existed for generations before Hollywood ever did.  They are serving a market that would exist without them.

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

He absolutely knows that the delay cost lives. He’s backtracking because politically, saying what he did was unfavorable to the all-rights-belong-to-gun-owners crowd, because going in sooner would have removed the benefit of the doubt from the shooter, and there will be a next time cops will have to give the benefit of the doubt to another armed mania… er, patriot.

25 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think that Hollywood just makes money from a violent subculture that existed for generations before Hollywood ever did.  They are serving a market that would exist without them.

Also correct. Both-and.

Edited by chasfh

On 5/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Archie said:

Everything you propose only hurts the legal gun owner.  What's your proposal to take illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands illegal gun owners.  How to end the hundreds if not thousand of kids being shot in places like Chicago?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Illinois ranks quite low compared to some GOP havens..... try some data instead of propaganda 

Data Table
Datatable showing data for the United States Map figure.
LocationSort by location in no order

Death Rate (Click for Rankings)Sort by death rate (click for rankings) in descending order

Deaths Sort by deaths in no order

Mississippi 28.6 818
Louisiana 26.3 1,183
Wyoming 25.9 154
Missouri 23.9 1,426
Alabama 23.6 1,141
Alaska 23.5 175
New Mexico 22.7 479
Arkansas 22.6 673
South Carolina 22 1,131
Tennessee 21.3 1,473
Montana 20.9 238
Oklahoma 20.7 826
Kentucky 20.1 902
West Virginia 18.1 325
Georgia 17.7 1,897
Idaho 17.6 321
Indiana 17.3 1,159
Nevada 17 547
Kansas 16.9 494
Arizona 16.7 1,265
North Carolina 16 1,699
Colorado 15.4 922
Ohio 15.2 1,764
Michigan 14.6 1,454
Delaware 14.4 135
Texas 14.2 4,164
Illinois 14.1 1,745
North Dakota 13.8 100
Florida 13.7 3,041
Utah 13.6 429
South Dakota 13.6 120
Pennsylvania 13.6 1,752
Maryland 13.5 803
Virginia 13.4 1,174
Oregon 13 592
Wisconsin 12.2 717
Vermont 11.6 76
Iowa 11.2 351
Washington 10.9 864
Maine 10.4 153
Nebraska 10.1 197
New Hampshire 8.9 128
Minnesota 8.9 513
California 8.5 3,449
Connecticut 6 219
New York 5.3 1,052
Rhode Island 5.1 54
New Jersey 5 443
Massachusetts 3.7 268
Hawaii 3.4 50
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

You've missed literally dozens.  The awesome part about how you missed dozens is that it's all documented in this thread.  You're welcome.

Edited by pfife

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

why do you keep calling me barney?

I don't know if you're serious or not.... Barney Fife, the Andy Griffith Show.

Those examples are just a couple from this weekend.  There are many other examples where people defend themselves and save lives legally but I don't want to waste my time and yours posting them all the time.  Yes, bad people do bad things too but thought you should see the other side.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Also correct. Both-and.

Well, Hollywood isn't helping matters, but they aren't creating an appetite for violence that did not already exist and they aren't changing any attitudes so no, Hollywood is not on the list of causes, Hollywood is an effect.  You need to look way deeper, Hollywood is superficial.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I don't know if you're serious or not.... Barney Fife, the Andy Griffith Show.

Those examples are just a couple from this weekend.  There are many other examples where people defend themselves and save lives legally but I don't want to waste my time and yours posting them all the time.  Yes, bad people do bad things too but thought you should see the other side.

Likewise, just making sure you see the side that is the result of the policies you advocate.  

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

Now that's funny.  I must have a few decades on you.

I knew who you meant.  I am closer to the Barney Fife era than the Barney the Dinosaur era.  

I remember everyone used to make fun of Barney the Dinosaur because he was "too nice" like that was a bad thing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Well, Hollywood isn't helping matters, but they aren't creating an appetite for violence that did not already exist and they aren't changing any attitudes so no, Hollywood is not on the list of causes, Hollywood is an effect.  You need to look way deeper, Hollywood is superficial.

You may not have read my original post in which I said, in so many words, that I don't believe at all that TV shows and movies are inspiring these shooters in the first place. You appear to be arguing against a point I did not make.