Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

Yes, most days you're giving out traffic tickets and dealing with people either making stupid excuses or cussing you out.  Most days you deal with domestic squabbles between neighbors, strangers or spouses that could get dangerous if not de-escalated.  Most days you're dealing with petty crimes like left or drug possession where nobody's life is ever threatened and most days are spent waiting for something to happen but hoping it does not. 

But every day, every single day you put on that uniform you have to have the thought it could be your last.  You constantly have to mentally prepare for that and it sucks, but that's the job and if you aren't willing to do your job you shouldn't have your job.   Yes, you would have been risking your very lives by going into that school,  and that is scary as fuck and I know I couldn't do it, but I don't put on the uniform, you do and you probably shouldn't anymore.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

I saw this article and it made me think of you.   Especially that time you argued gun owners are responsible with their guns.

I wonder whether the prosecutor will have the grandfather testify against the grandson so we can teach kids about taking personal responsibility …

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether the prosecutor will have the grandfather testify against the grandson so we can teach kids about taking personal responsibility …

The grandfather can testify that grandson had mental problems and that the house had multiple doors and that's what caused all of this

Edited by pfife

One thing we can do is - if a gun is  used illegally, like the case in GR, the person who did not secure the gun needs to go to jail.    Like the wonderful Crumbly family.

If someone sells a gun to a person not legally allowed to have one, they should be charged as an accessory. 

If someone buys a gun for another person because that person can't buy a gun, they need to be charged with the full extent of the crime committed.   

Make it harder for lunatics to get automatic or semi automatic weapons.   Since 18-20 year olds can't buy liquor (because they are not old enough for the responsibility) then how are they old enough to buy automatic or semi automatic weapons?   

Start cracking down hard on this.  

Regular pistols, shotguns, rifles...........fine, as long as a person hasn't committed any violent acts in the past.  People do need them for sport and people do need them for protection 

Nobody needs a full magazine to kill Bambi.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One thing we can do is - if a gun is  used illegally, like the case in GR, the person who did not secure the gun needs to go to jail.    Like the wonderful Crumbly family.

If someone sells a gun to a person not legally allowed to have one, they should be charged as an accessory. 

If someone buys a gun for another person because that person can't buy a gun, they need to be charged with the full extent of the crime committed.   

Make it harder for lunatics to get automatic or semi automatic weapons.   Since 18-20 year olds can't buy liquor (because they are not old enough for the responsibility) then how are they old enough to buy automatic or semi automatic weapons?   

Start cracking down hard on this.  

Regular pistols, shotguns, rifles...........fine, as long as a person hasn't committed any violent acts in the past.  People do need them for sport and people do need them for protection 

Nobody needs a full magazine to kill Bambi.  

Oh, and start treating mental illness too........take it more seriously.............stop this toxic masculinity of "suck it up" and actually start getting to the cause of it all.........the reasons someone would even want to do something like this.   Not exclusively guns or mental illness or bullying or over medicating, it's all of it, it's a toxic mix.   Our whole society is acting horribly now and as sports fans, we see more and more stories about fans interjecting themselves into games by throwing things and it's not just America, there have been numerous incidents at soccer games with fans rushing the filed after the game and assaulting the opponent, even when their home team wins the game.   All this anger - everywhere - and we're fighting each other when we should probably be working toward a more common goal of financial equity or, at least, fairness.   All this other stuff is just distraction so we don't pay attention over who is really screwing us.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, and start treating mental illness too........take it more seriously.............stop this toxic masculinity of "suck it up" and actually start getting to the cause of it all.........the reasons someone would even want to do something like this.   Not exclusively guns or mental illness or bullying or over medicating, it's all of it, it's a toxic mix.   Our whole society is acting horribly now and as sports fans, we see more and more stories about fans interjecting themselves into games by throwing things and it's not just America, there have been numerous incidents at soccer games with fans rushing the filed after the game and assaulting the opponent, even when their home team wins the game.   All this anger - everywhere - and we're fighting each other when we should probably be working toward a more common goal of financial equity or, at least, fairness.   All this other stuff is just distraction so we don't pay attention over who is really screwing us.  

It is unfortunate there is a lot of woo and pseudoscience in the mental health space. My hope is that ship gets tightened up, and we don't get a lot of right wing scheisters coming in and making it much worse once they see the money in it... Since that will only make the problem much much worse.

Edited by Edman85

It's sad to me that they repeatedly blame mental illness and yet won't do anything about it.   And that's a generous assessment.   You can argue they actively make situations worse by defunding existing programs that address mental illness.  I believe Abbot had recently done this.

I'm not sure the extent "mental illness" plays in mass shootings and/or gun violence.   But I do think we have a serious deficiency in policy regarding mental illness in this country and I welcome improvements in this space.

Because they say "mental illness" and in best case assessment, do nothing about it, repeatedly - leads me to believe it's nothing but a bluff or a distraction.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pfife said:

It's sad to me that they repeatedly blame mental illness and yet won't do anything about it.   And that's a generous assessment.   You can argue they actively make situations worse by defunding existing programs that address mental illness.  I believe Abbot had recently done this.

I'm not sure the extent "mental illness" plays in mass shootings and/or gun violence.   But I do think we have a serious deficiency in policy regarding mental illness in this country and I welcome improvements in this space.

Because they say "mental illness" and in best case assessment, do nothing about it, repeatedly - leads me to believe it's nothing but a bluff or a distraction.

Governor Gun Abbott refused to expand Medicaid in his state, which could have provided mental healthcare access to hundreds-of-thousands of Texans. Gun Abbott's state is dead last in access to mental healthcare.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I know this is super uncool to say, but Republicans really do benefit politically from mass shootings. It highlights political divisions which energizes the 2A absolutists who vote for them and empowers the NRA, the source of many of their political donations.

I really do believe that the tremendous increase in NRA power over the past couple of decades has its roots in the way they politicized Columbine.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I'm going to ask "which mental illness?" going forward.

Reminds me of a former boss who used to catch people in their recency bias exclamations when they said "X is the best!" He would reply "who is the second best?"

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'm going to ask "which mental illness?" going forward.

Reminds me of a former boss who used to catch people in their recency bias exclamations when they said "X is the best!" He would reply "who is the second best?"

Is that one of the reasons he’s your former boss?

The mental health solution by the right will be more church. 

On a side note. At our Memorial Day parade today. A biker group comes thru. One of them has an American flag with the words Trump and something about the 2A and right to bear arms.  Totally inappropriate.  

There was was a plane flying overhead advertising a local auto sales company.  Not a new car place but they have lots of ads in the area. Equally as tacky. Selling or promotional items either w business or candidate is wrong for Memorial Day activities. 

• Like 3

Looks like we are going to go for a handgun freeze.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/national-handgun-freeze-key-feature-of-new-firearm-control-bill-1.5923922

I think that this is smart.  If you legally own a handgun (one of my neighbours has a .45, I probably didn't say that correctly) then by all means keep it and enjoy yourself but you are its last owner.  I think that this will sail through Parliament, the Liberals and the NDP by themselves will carry it, and I will be interested to see how many Conservatives will oppose it.  We do have a low-IQ zone here in Canada, it is called Alberta, but even there I don't think that the gun nuts have a critical mass.  Even so, a Conservative MP from Alberta probably has no choice but to vote against this bill, but Conservatives elsewhere in the country would be taking a big chance.  My opinion anyway.

Note also that long guns, those which are not already banned, will be limited to a 5-shot capacity.  I am glad that the speechwriters included this obvious truth:  other than target shooting and hunting there is no good reason for having a gun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oblong said:  

There was was a plane flying overhead advertising a local auto sales company.  Not a new car place but they have lots of ads in the area. Equally as tacky. Selling or promotional items either w business or candidate is wrong for Memorial Day activities. 

I commented on something like this in another thread recently. The American flag is used all day-every day for commercial purposes. It pisses me off to see these huuuuge American flags flying over car lots. It also pisses me off when these used car lots put smaller American flags on antennas and such. 
Worn and tattered flags being flown. I see it all the time. Either fly the flag properly or don’t fly the flag at all. 
I also hate to see the flag used for the police support thing with the flag stripes altered to make a political statement. 
….still rolling here….

Under Armour and other clothing manufacturers have replaced the stars in the flag with their logo on their shirts. This pisses me off too. This is a total disrespect for the flag. The American flag is used all the time as a prop for commercial purposes. 

I have far more respect for someone burning the flag in true protest against the government than anyone using the flag for commercial purposes.

American flags imprinted on the Covid masks is an assault on the flag as well. Why not just blow your nose on it! And…you always love to see the American flag swim shorts at the beach on the guy that is 350 pounds and wearing it in his crack. 

end of rant, for now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I commented on something like this in another thread recently. The American flag is used all day-every day for commercial purposes. It pisses me off to see these huuuuge American flags flying over car lots. It also pisses me off when these used car lots put smaller American flags on antennas and such. 
Worn and tattered flags being flown. I see it all the time. Either fly the flag properly or don’t fly the flag at all. 
I also hate to see the flag used for the police support thing with the flag stripes altered to make a political statement. 
….still rolling here….

Under Armour and other clothing manufacturers have replaced the stars in the flag with their logo on their shirts. This pisses me off too. This is a total disrespect for the flag. The American flag is used all the time as a prop for commercial purposes. 

I have far more respect for someone burning the flag in true protest against the government than anyone using the flag for commercial purposes.

American flags imprinted on the Covid masks is an assault on the flag as well. Why not just blow your nose on it! And…you always love to see the American flag swim shorts at the beach on the guy that is 350 pounds and wearing it in his crack. 

end of rant, for now.

yeah, that all pisses me off in a low-burn sort of way.   The Trump stars and stripes flag or the stars replaced with crosses flags or the thin blue line flags...all not great. 

• Like 1