Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

I believe you are over thinking teachers carrying guns.  If it happened,and I doubt it ever will, it would be optional and not mandatory.  They would have to go through training and these volunteers would probably already own firearms so a concealed carry wouldnt be unfamiliar to many of them.  I'm sure it wouldn't be advertised to the students which teachers are armed. People who conceal carry are around you all the time and you don't know it.  

Edited by Archie

5 minutes ago, Archie said:

I believe you are over thinking teachers carrying guns.  If it happened,and I doubt it ever will, it would be optional and not mandatory.  They would have to go through training and these volunteers would probably already own firearms so a concealed carry wouldnt be unfamiliar to many of them.  I'm sure it wouldn't be advertised to the students which teachers are armed. People who conceal carry are around you all the time and you don't know it.  

You obviously are not too familiar with how teachers in the classroom dress. It's not in three piece suits with jackets, or leather jackets or trench coats BTW. Any student not flunking kindergarten would know if the teacher  in his classroom was packing inside about 30 seconds.

Kids are a lot like dogs in that respect, they see right through up all kinds of things adults with their dull wits think they are being cleverly obscure about.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Arming teachers..........Are you going to teach them martial arts too because giving a weapon to a teacher, you are bringing more weapons into school and honestly I don't think it would be too difficult for a raging teenager to overpower a typical teacher.  

Having cops or vets in the halls of schools is a much better option, but you'd better make sure they've been mentally screened.  

Schools are going to end up looking like prisons.  That's a wonderful lesson.  

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

You obviously are not too familiar with how teachers in the classroom dress. It's not in three piece suits with jackets, or leather jackets or trench coats BTW. Any student not flunking kindergarten would know if the teacher  in his classroom was packing inside about 30 seconds.

Can you even imagine the rates of personal teacher liability insurance? lol. Yeah…. This is comical. 

• Thanks 1

Someone on this board already stated that arming teachers as a measure of safety is an open admission that you don’t really have a solution, only a reaction. That is the absolute truth!
Seriously, this would be the ultimate demonstration of failed ideas. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Kids are a lot like dogs in that respect, they see right through up all kinds of things adults with their dull wits think they are being cleverly obscure about.

Do you know how many men and women wearing shorts and tshirts in the grocery store are carrying? Concealed carry is not hanging a rifle on your shoulder.  I think you would be surprised at how many people have armed themselves and you don't know it.

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Arming teachers..........Are you going to teach them martial arts too because giving a weapon to a teacher, you are bringing more weapons into school and honestly I don't think it would be too difficult for a raging teenager to overpower a typical teacher.  

Having cops or vets in the halls of schools is a much better option, but you'd better make sure they've been mentally screened.  

I can't imagine how much this generation of children is going to grow up to hate the preceding generation. It's going to be the 60's all over again.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Honestly, if I thought my child’s teacher was armed, for whatever reason, we’d be looking elsewhere or homeschooling. This idea is as bright as 💩!

I never put much thought into arming teachers because I never thought it was a possibilty.  I made a comment here that if it did happen it would be different than what some posters imagined.  Of course that riles up some of them.

My kids went to public schools but I've already committed to them that I will pay for private school for my grand kids.  I don't want them around some of these teachers today.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I spent years in Martial Arts and maybe that should be required in schools.  Its instills disapline and confidence.  Both of which is lacking in a lot of kids.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Our Lutheran school (k-8) is about 50/50 Men Women teachers. I was on the school board until recently, starting salary out of college $45K. Our longest tendered teacher was at $95K (20 years of service). The highschool starts in the 60k range (60% men teachers).

Some of the ignorants on this board is interesting... 

are you in Texas?  I was asking about Texas.

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

Do you know how many men and women wearing shorts and tshirts in the grocery store are carrying? Concealed carry is not hanging a rifle on your shoulder.  I think you would be surprised at how many people have armed themselves and you don't know it.

I know of one good guy with a gun in a grocery store in Buffalo who was killed by a bad guy with a gun. 

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

I spent years in Martial Arts and maybe that should be required in schools.  Its instills disapline and confidence.  Both of which is lacking in a lot of kids.

yup - and all those fat 50yr cops were probably highly fit and trained once upon a time also. But time destroys all things, including physical skills and reaction time. There will never be an American police force that requires its officers to be or remain at a level of physical training and performance for them to perform the way people fantasize about them being able to perform (i.e. Hollywood level)

8 minutes ago, Archie said:

Martial arts does do that for people. Sports does too.  None of that should be requred though.  School is for learning how to read, write, do math, etc.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Archie said:

Depending on where you live, you might be surprised by how many don't.  It's a lot less common where I live than most states. 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Are you aware that almost all of these mass shootings took place in gun free zones?  They broke the law taking a gun into the schools so why will they all of a sudden obey a new law?  

Are you aware that almost every country that has universal gun safety measures, like background checks, waiting periods, and metal health evaluations has lower gun crime than we do? Are you aware that we have more guns than any other developed nation and also have more gun crime? Are you aware that you can do something other than parrot right wing talking points and actually argue with data and research?

56 minutes ago, Archie said:

I can usually tell by the unkempt beards, tacky tee shirts and NRA bumper stickers on their F-150s with loud mufflers

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

This reminds me with the discussions I had with my partner on this a week ago. We were trying to think about why this is such a never ending tragedy, and nearly all of these are perpetrated by young males. Obviously guns are an issue, but what more lies underneath all this? How many of these shooters have a history of being bullied and incel type behavior? How many of them go on the dark web and places like 4chan and further go down that rabbit hole of darkness? This is part of our culture now, and I don’t know how we get through it. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This reminds me with the discussions I had with my partner on this a week ago. We were trying to think about why this is such a never ending tragedy, and nearly all of these are perpetrated by young males. Obviously guns are an issue, but what more lies underneath all this? How many of these shooters have a history of being bullied and incel type behavior? How many of them go on the dark web and places like 4chan and further go down that rabbit hole of darkness? This is part of our culture now, and I don’t know how we get through it. 

4chan not required. With the algorithms all the social media apps use, those dark rabbit holes are frighteningly easy to enter.