2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verlander-injured-list-opening-day-2023

Mets right-handed starter Justin Verlander will be placed on the injured list with an upper arm injury, which the club announced on Thursday as a low grade teres major strain.

The team added that Verlander will continue to throw at “moderate intensity” and be re-evaluated in a week. Verlander said he felt “a teeny bit of something” following a bullpen session on Wednesday. 

21 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The lower echelon salaries still seem a bit tight, but clearly its a much better situation than before.  And if housing/meals are taken care of by the organizations, even if only during season, it makes those salaries go further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I just saw a clip of Sarah Langs and it was painful to watch.  The brain is still fully there, but you see her struggling physically.  She is one the best young analysts in the game and it's terrible to see her going throught the horror of ALS.   

wow i didnt know she had ALS that sucks 

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I just saw a clip of Sarah Langs and it was painful to watch.  The brain is still fully there, but you see her struggling physically.  She is one the best young analysts in the game and it's terrible to see her going throught the horror of ALS.   

She is quickly becoming baseball’s national treasure. Even players know who she is and love and respect her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

She is quickly becoming baseball’s national treasure. Even players know who she is and love and respect her.

I agree.   She is so good at blending advanced stats with anecdotes and positivity and she does it all with humility.  I feel like she could have the impact of a Peter Gammons if given the chance.  I am proud of her for fighting the disease and moving forward as long as she can.  Her story is both heart breaking and inspiring.   

35 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree.   She is so good at blending advanced stats with anecdotes and positivity and she does it all with humility.  I feel like she could have the impact of a Peter Gammons if given the chance.  I am proud of her for fighting the disease and moving forward as long as she can.  Her story is both heart breaking and inspiring.   

We can only hope she beats the odds somehow.

The Anthony Rendon thing is bizarre.    You can't put your hands on someone, Ant'ny.    I find it hard to believe this was the first time someone called him a bad word ('bitch' this time) but I guess when you have 270 people at a game like the A's do, you hear it much more clearly.      He'll get suspended for putting hands on the guy (or guy's shirt and for the attempted slap, even though I doubt he would have hurt the guy).   He's probably going to get at least 3 games but he should probably get more.  

The Box Score says 26K..........yeah, right.  

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

How do I not know who she is?

There is so much social media and media now that it's easy to miss someone.  I know who she is because I follow a lot of baseball stat people on twitter.  I add a lot of them each year and then drop some of them if they are too arrogant or too uninteresting or if they turn out not to be as good at analysis as they think.  She turned out to be the best of the bunch.  She originally had a niche following, but her audience has grown a lot the last couple of years.  

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We can only hope she beats the odds somehow.

It's very rare for a woman to get the disease at such a young age.  So, she is part of a really small sample and her body could possibly react differently.  Very doubtful, but maybe there is a sliver of hope there.  

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

There is so much social media and media now that it's easy to miss someone.  I know who she is because I follow a lot of baseball stat people on twitter.  I add a lot of them each year and then drop some of them if they are too arrogant or too uninteresting or if they turn out not to be as good at analysis as they think.  She turned out to be the best of the bunch.  She originally had a niche following, but her audience has grown a lot the last couple of years.  

she use to be a guest on Buster Olneys daily podcast is where i first heard her

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

Trayce Thompson hit 3 HRs last night.  How did you spend your evening?

I know you’re disappointed we let him go, but you’ll just have to get used to the idea that Trayce Thompson is gone for good and he’s never coming back.

Edited by chasfh

13 hours ago, Toddwert said:

she use to be a guest on Buster Olneys daily podcast is where i first heard her

I saw a self-congratulatory smash clip Brian Kenny put together of him advocating for a pitch clock over the years, and a healthy Sarah Langs was in it, and it was so great to see her like that. I really hope she defies the odds.