2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

12 hours ago, 1776 said:

β€œSweet sweet Connie doin’ her act

She had the whole show and that’sΒ 

a natural fact.”
-Grand Funk Railroad.

Connie Hamzy, who just recently passed, started her β€œcareer” at 15 years of age. This, by her own admission.Β 

Β 

I can’t help but think, where were the parents who were allowing all this to happen under their noses? It’s mind-boggling. I sense that neither today’s parents nor society at large would allow this kind of thing to go on like that. Kids today are generally kept on a way tighter leash then the kids of my generation were.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

I can’t help but think, where were the parents who were allowing all this to happen under their noses? It’s mind-boggling. I sense that neither today’s parents nor society at large would allow this kind of thing to go on like that. Kids today are generally kept on a way tighter leash then the kids of my generation were.

Ruth Ann Moorehouse. Her dad encouraged her to go with Charles Manson when she was 14.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, Jim Cowan said:

Late 60's B list singer Gary Puckett had at least 2 songs about jailbait that struck me as being kind of gross at the time.

I was under the impression that his whole library went down that path.

I'm pretty sure Sweet Caroline was a character not of age. And Neil Diamond had another song or two of that ilk. I believe that girl who would soon be a woman is one by now.

KISS' "Christine Sixteen ", "Goin' Blind", and "Domino" are all about older men lusting after underage girls.

Here is my take on it: way back in the day, girls did get married young, way before 18, and started families. Coming out of the depression, there was a resurgence of this in the US. Many families were very poor and children were encouraged to beΒ  on their own at a younger age out of necessity.Β  I have an aunt who married at 14 in 1947 to an older man. It was prettyΒ  common. Loretta Lynn married at 14.Β  That generation"s children became the free love hippy generation in the 60's and 70's, the time period most of these songs were written.Β 

It was out of fashion for girls to get married so, so young anymore, but their parents were in serious relationships having sex when they wereΒ  14, 15, 16, so I think the parents of these kids probably thought it wasn't really a big deal then (late 60s, early 70s).Β 

In the 4 decades + since then, it has become really taboo for kids 14-17 to be in serious relationships and having sex. Those songs have not aged well, and we question why they were written and popular at the time. It was just a sign of the times. It doesn't make it right, it just was.

In the early part of the 20th century it was commen to see postcards and pictures of native americans wearing swatsikas. It was a symbol of good luck. I when I was going to school in the 70s and 80s it was common for kids to where shirts and clothing with the confederate flag. Now you would never do either, because they have become signs of hate. Times change, mostly for the better.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I was under the impression that his whole library went down that path.

I'm pretty sure Sweet Caroline was a character not of age. And Neil Diamond had another song or two of that ilk. I believe that girl who would soon be a woman is one by now.

Initially Diamond said he wrote it about his wife but needed a 3 syllable word so he came up with Caroline.Β  Later on he said he was inspired by a photo of Caroline Kennedy in her riding gear.Β  She was born in 57, the song was written in 69.Β 

Diamond said he was a β€œyoung, broke songwriter” in the ’60s when he saw a cute photo of Caroline Kennedy in a magazine. β€œI thought she might be embarrassed, but she seemed to be struck by it and really, really happy,” added Diamond. β€œIt was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony. It was such an innocent, wonderful picture. I immediately felt there was a song in there.”

Β 

https://americansongwriter.com/meaning-of-neil-diamonds-sweet-caroline-song-lyrics/

Β 

Yesterday was the anniversary of Elvis dying.Β  We all know about Priscilla and how old she was.

I agree with CMU97.Β  Mores change over time. My sister was 16 when she got married in 1966.Β Β 

17 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

girls did get married young, way before 18,

I think if you look back at history, the assumption that you had to be psychologically fully formed (what ever that means and if it ever really happens) to be married is a recent one. In the past, the age at which people married was more closely related to the age at which they assumed financial responsibility for themselves. When a high percentage of people in the US didn't finish high school, you were talking about people who would be going out into the work force to live independently at roughly 16 and thus people at that time saw no reason that that was not a appropriate time to 'settle down', which => marriage.

Today the young people at minimum are expected to finish high school and the accepted social ideal is to obtain some additional kind of training or ed after thatΒ  and the assumption of 'proper' marriageable age has followed that up into 20's. I think we tell ourselves socially that is a decision based on developmental or ethical concerns but I would guess it is as much a subliminal society wide justification system for doing what economics/education has come to dictate. Just looking at the huge turn around from 1950 to 1980 and then back again, you can't seriously argue that social mores are not quite fluid compared to structural economic imperatives.

Edited by gehringer_2

From SI:

Now, just days into the investigation, a new report casts doubt on the future of Franco’s baseball career. On Tuesday morning,Β baseball insiderΒ HΓ©ctor GΓ³mez reportedΒ that a source close to the matter says it is β€œvery unlikely that Wander Franco will play in MLB again, judging by the results of the investigations that are currently being carried out, which directly commit him to the accusations against him.”

Ringo Starr..."You're sixteen, you're beautiful and you're mine"...I thought that was creepy even when I was a kid hearing it for the first time..Β  I worked with a guy in my early 20's who "liked em young".Β  We would tease him about his impending jail time.Β  He once bragged that his 13 year-old "girlfriend" looked like she was 16.

Sad and pathetic...