2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

27 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

While Strasburg had high moments or periods, I think overall his career has to be a considered a disappointment, no?

https://x.com/mlbonfox/status/1694780343554060449?s=61&t=don8lQTnTq5FKXq14p2GMw

From the WaPo:

“The financial implications of Strasburg’s retirement were not immediately known Thursday afternoon. After this season, Strasburg’s contract had an average annual value of $35 million for three more years. The Nationals do not have any disability insurance on Strasburg’s contract, according to multiple people familiar with the situation.”

~NO DISABILITY INSURANCE on his contract! That hurt.

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

Oblong would know better than me how these things go.  I was just thinking about some of the variables of this weekend.

Enjoy!

I have never gone specifically to get a give away and this year they moved them to Saturdays only, I have the Friday package. Fridays are “party in the park”.  But I would suggest being there as early as possible. Typically when I have gotten there 30 min before game time the stuff is gone. 

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

I have never gone specifically to get a give away and this year they moved them to Saturdays only, I have the Friday package. Fridays are “party in the park”.  But I would suggest being there as early as possible. Typically when I have gotten there 30 min before game time the stuff is gone. 

The Cubs have a very restrictive giveaway policy on promotional dates: most of them are first 5,000 fans only; a scant few are first 10,000; and, new to me anyway, several more are available only to those "fans who purchase their ticket via the respective special offer’s webpage". Those are really tight hoops to jump through just to obtain mostly multi-logoed trinkets.

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

From the WaPo:

“The financial implications of Strasburg’s retirement were not immediately known Thursday afternoon. After this season, Strasburg’s contract had an average annual value of $35 million for three more years. The Nationals do not have any disability insurance on Strasburg’s contract, according to multiple people familiar with the situation.”

~NO DISABILITY INSURANCE on his contract! That hurt.

So does Strasburg get all the remaining money on his deal even though he is retiring? 

I think my favorite giveaway was the Verlander bobblehead with a K counter on it. I think I got it in 2010 the year after he won the strikeout crown. Still have it somewhere in my basement. Another favorite was the Honus Wagner bobblehead when I went to Pittsburgh to see the Tigers play there.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would think not if he is retiring. 

I wasn't sure since I assume he is retiring because of an injury related to baseball and not him just choosing to walk away from the game when he is still capable of playing.

For an extreme scenario say you sign a big contract and then you break your leg out in the field so bad that it requires amputation which in turn forces you to retire. I would think you would still be owed all the money on that contract cause after all one of the reasons players sign these long term deals is for financial security in case you get a serious injury. 

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think my favorite giveaway was the Verlander bobblehead with a K counter on it. I think I got it in 2010 the year after he won the strikeout crown. Still have it somewhere in my basement. Another favorite was the Honus Wagner bobblehead when I went to Pittsburgh to see the Tigers play there.

I got the Honus Wagner bobblehead in Pittsburgh too.  August 12, 2014.  

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I bet kids who attended games in the ‘50s received giveaway packs of cigarettes with faces of their favourite players on it. 

For awhile in the early 80s we got coke vials. I still have my Enos Cabel version.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I got the Honus Wagner bobblehead in Pittsburgh too.  August 12, 2014.  

Mine was from June of 2009, just googled it though and my memory was wrong it wasn't a bobblehead it was like a bronze figurine.  Wanna go try to find it now cause it looks pretty cool in the pictures. 

LaTroy Hawkins was the last active major league players that was older than me.  He pitched until he was 42.  I remember thinking that I felt a bit older when he announced his retirement.

A couple of days ago, I listened to the Black Diamonds podcast where he was interviewed.  So after that, of course, I checked his baseball reference page.  He retired after the 2015 season.

Damn, do I feel old now......

51 minutes ago, casimir said:

LaTroy Hawkins was the last active major league players that was older than me.  He pitched until he was 42.  I remember thinking that I felt a bit older when he announced his retirement.

A couple of days ago, I listened to the Black Diamonds podcast where he was interviewed.  So after that, of course, I checked his baseball reference page.  He retired after the 2015 season.

Damn, do I feel old now......

Sadly Rich Hill, Adam Wainwright and Nelson Cruz(not sure if he is technically active?) are the last ones left that I'm older then.

My favorite giveaway memory...A few years ago I happened to go when they were giving away Miguel Cabrera picture frames and since I always get there early I got one.  Honestly, I didn't really want one.  So, on the way out after the game I saw a kid about 7 years old, asked him if he wanted it, and made him promise to be a Tiger fan forever.  He was THRILLED and I enjoyed that more than having it sit on my shelf somewhere. 

I did absolutely love my replica '68 jersey.  That was a great giveaway.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So Strasburg indeed does get paid. I wonder what the diff would've been for the Nats if they had insurance on the contract? Would they have been able to recoup all the money?

I'm sure they would have looked into it and I assume insurers balked at it.  I don't know what insurance would cost but given his history I bet it would have been pretty high.  Also possible nobody would touch it.

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

So Strasburg indeed does get paid. I wonder what the diff would've been for the Nats if they had insurance on the contract? Would they have been able to recoup all the money?

no insurance company would have insured him.  he was too big of a risk.

or, if they would have, it would have cost the nationals a **** ton of money in premium.