2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The Blue Jays and Mariners have very good teams with young stars and would have gotten even better with Ohtani.  They are not loser teams.  You've been pushing the idea for years that nobody will sign with the Tigers because they are not a winner, but I don't think it applies here.  

The money is very nice, but I also believe a key reason Ohtani went with the Dodgers is that they are a winning organization who will give him a great chance to win a ring.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The money is very nice, but I also believe a key reason Ohtani went with the Dodgers is that they are a winning organization who will give him a great chance to win a ring.

The $700M was secondary.

I believe he was heading to the Jays, but the Dodgers stepped in and made him a deal that no other team could/would top.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Dodgers just screwed everyone.   I would imagine most of the other owners are livid. 

On the contrary, there was some scuttlebutt that the huge luxury tax payments the Mets et. al. paid this year are essentially being used to help teams whose RSN's are falling short on payments.  This can only help keep that fund replenished.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Never understood why pitchers never focused on hitting.    Why not?      

What's Blake Snell gonna want now,  $45 million a year?  

If you have a power arm, that gets identified pretty early in your career, before you ever have show you have any hitting potential. That will get you to the majors without you ever having any hitting ability in the first place - so practicing it more probably won't get a lot of guys very far.

Plus maybe different training methods? Developing a musculature that is optimal  for hitting and pitching may not work for many guys.

The Mariners and Jays appear to be set up to be contenders in the near future but you never know how long term that is going to be, where as with the Dodgers going on 20+ years of contending every year you can feel much more confident that say 4 or 5 yrs down the road you're not going to be in a situation like the Angels again.

Edited by RandyMarsh

I think on most teams you could argue that you'd prob be better served spreading that 70mill a year out on a few diff players but with the Dodgers being so stacked its hard to find the places where say 3 really good players would be big upgrades over what they are already putting out there.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

On the contrary, there was some scuttlebutt that the huge luxury tax payments the Mets et. al. paid this year are essentially being used to help teams whose RSN's are falling short on payments.  This can only help keep that fund replenished.

Also, I don’t believe that Ohtani has a comp, so while the next big free agent might want a similar contract, they won’t be getting it.  Soto is probably next, and likely ends up closer to $500M.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Also, I don’t believe that Ohtani has a comp, so while the next big free agent might want a similar contract, they won’t be getting it.  Soto is probably next, and likely ends up closer to $500M.

I will put a dollar on he gets more than that.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I guess it depends on the number of years, since he’s young.  He could get 12+.  I think his annual will be closer to $50M.

He turned down a 15/440 from the Nats, and he'll be only 26 next winter, so I think 12 years is practically a foregone conclusion. They were already talking about him a year ago being the potentially first 500 million contract, so now with Ohtani in for 700 million, 500+ for Soto is all but certain. I'm gonna take an early bet on 12/630 for him, and it'll be the Yankees, who are publicly disparaging analytics and going back to being the make-it-rain Evil Empire.