2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

Expansion Cities (counting the A's in Vegas now)

1 - Nashville -  Yes, this makes sense.  The Rays or Marlins would be better off here.  

2 - San Jose -  If Manfred thinks A's fans will switch to the Giants he's more out of touch than any of us believed.  Tech nerds do like baseball. 

3 - Montreal  -  Still too many economic barriers.   With the two most precious resources on the globe being oil and fresh water, Canada should be more of a powerhouse.    Put a team in Letterkenny.  They'd love to have a baseballs team there.  Figger It Oout

4 - Indianapolis.  City of freeways.  Great location.  No Summer competition for a team sport, but  The Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals and Reds would block. 

5 - New Jersey - Actually the best spot, it has the population and NJ has the highest per capita income in the U.S., but Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Orioles, Nats would fight it and they'd win.  Steve Cohen would have an aneurysm 

6 - Charlotte or Raleigh -  Nothing to block them, but I don't know that they'd care that much about baseball

7 - Salt Lake City -  They're making a push to get the NHL there, they'll go for baseball too. 

8 - Vancouver -  If you feel Western Canada needs representation. 

50 - Portland - 81 home games = 81 protests = 81 disruptions.   That town is a political nightmare.  Everything pisses them off there.  My sister, a true liberal, couldn't even stand it anymore it's so extreme.   If you're a white person who has a taco truck, they'll shut you down for cultural appropriation. If you're a white person wearing a Bob Marley t-shirt they'll scream at you.     You'd be better off looking at San Juan, Monterrey, or even Hawaii or Japan before going to Portland (who have never really even supported a minor league team). 

If there were absolutely no obstacles at all

1 - New Jersey,  2- Nashville,  3- San Jose  4- Indianapolis, 5- Charlotte, 6- Montreal  and who cares after that. 

7 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Vegas looking more dubious by the day. Literally nothing has changed since the story broke. Ownership tap dancing at world class levels.

Rachel Phelps needs to sell the team.        I hate what they're doing to their fans.   It's straight out of that movie.   

Whats going on with Blake Snell and Cody Bellinger?       I don't want the Tigers to consider either one of them.   I don't like Snell,  feels like he's only in it for the money.   Are they asking for way too much or way too long?    If fSnell doesn't sign in the next week, he's not going to be on an Opening Day roster.    

I know some Tiger fans still talk about Matt Chapman.   I don't know.  I don't think he's all that great.  Reminds me of Rich Aurilia.   Boy did we luck out there.   

On 2/16/2024 at 6:07 PM, chasfh said:

I think Montreal loses out even in a six-team expansion scheme, for reasons beyond history and population. Expand to 40 teams, though, and they'd probably sneak in along with Vancouver.

Their history is they draw well when they play well and have strong, interested ownership.  It is interesting to me how every time the idea of expansion comes up, fans seem to overwhelming select Montreal as their desired choice.

I understand that could be just be a function of the people I follow.  

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1 - New Jersey,  2- Nashville,  3- San Jose  4- Indianapolis, 5- Charlotte, 6- Montreal  and who cares after that. 

My list is Montreal.

After that, it's anything on the east coast, so I don't have to stay up late to follow them.  

Sacramento seems like such a better fit for the A’s.    80 miles away would also allow them to maintain most of the existing fanbase.  No doubt the Sac locals would go as crazy for a baseball team as they do for the Kings.   

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Sacramento seems like such a better fit for the A’s.    80 miles away would also allow them to maintain most of the existing fanbase.  No doubt the Sac locals would go as crazy for a baseball team as they do for the Kings.   

I think I heard Ken Rosenthal say that Sacramento is outside the market definition of their local TV contract so they lose $67M going that far away. So they'd need to put  together a new TV deal to make that move. Not impossible but another complication certainly.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Their history is they draw well when they play well and have strong, interested ownership.  It is interesting to me how every time the idea of expansion comes up, fans seem to overwhelming select Montreal as their desired choice.

Sure, which is why I said beyond their history.

I definitely would love to see Montreal come back to MLB. I love baseball French!

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Montreal attendance was over 2 million several times.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought it was an interesting way to present data on pitch counts.  Oh well.  😃

this is weird. The site has started throwing away my post at random. Well - I'll try this one again. 

I (and probably Cas) couldn't figure out the post because once at Twitter, if you had to click on the right link to get to the story instead of just going in circles back the same tweet.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I (and probably Cas) couldn't figure out the post because once at Twitter, if you had to click on the right link to get to the story instead of just going in circles back the same tweet.

Likewise.

I have a related recent stat peeve though, which is the fixation with batter swing rates - exactly because I think they are pretty meaningless without breaking them down by count. For instance Tork is criticized for having too high a swing rate, but without benefit of the data on his count breakdown, by impression from watching the games is that he is actually TOO selective on the 1st pitch. Taking that strike puts him down in the count and then he ends up swinging a lot in defense on 2 strike counts.

I might be wrong about Torks 1st pitch rate, but I think the argument holds that swing rates apart form count analysis doesn't mean much.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Whats going on with Blake Snell and Cody Bellinger?       I don't want the Tigers to consider either one of them.   

I’ve read that Boras is trying to set the market with Snell’s contract so he wants to get him under contract prior to Montgomery signing. 
The Athletic reported the other day that the Yankees have put a contract on the table for Snell. Obviously no details at this point. 
It’s been reported that Bellinger’s peeps have had conversations with the Cubs but no details there either. 

On 2/19/2024 at 9:19 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Expansion Cities (counting the A's in Vegas now)

6 - Charlotte or Raleigh -  Nothing to block them, but I don't know that they'd care that much about baseball

If there were absolutely no obstacles at all

Regarding North Carolina: The Carolina Hurricanes ownership is all about bringing MLB to N.C. I don’t know that they have publicly indicated a particular city. The governor is on board as well. Beyond that, not so sure. 
Charlotte’s ballpark is five years old I believe, beautiful park! I don’t know if it was built with the consideration of being a MLB park at some point. 
Years ago there was a big push for the Triad Area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) getting a MLB team. That plan never got off the ground. 

Personally, and I’ve said this before, I would rather see MLB stay out of N.C. We have 10 affiliated teams here now. We have two Atlantic League teams here. Seeing an affiliated team is an easy drive from any point in the state. I wish we had a AA team but we lost the last one in 2011 to Pensacola, Florida. 

Edited by 1776

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

Regarding North Carolina: The Carolina Hurricanes ownership is all about bringing MLB to N.C. I don’t know that they have publicly indicated a particular city. The governor is on board as well. Beyond that, not so sure. 
Charlotte’s ballpark is five years old I believe, beautiful park! I don’t know if it was built with the consideration of being a MLB park at some point. 

The park has an absolutely gorgeous view of downtown, I think even more so than Pittsburgh’s PNC Park. But there is also absolutely no way they can expand it into a big league park because its footprint is just so small. If they do expand MLB to Carolina, they’ll either have to call an audible and place it in the Raleigh-Durham DMA, which as a #24 is certainly big-league size, or put it in Charlotte anyway and eat Truist Field, which, I don’t think anyone in Baseball would be too concerned about having to do that.