2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

53 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Enough with the Immaculate nerdery.  There was a baseball brawl tonight.  "Down goes Anderson! Down goes Anderson!"

I used to enjoy having Jeff Frazier in the organization, he got called up to the Tigers a couple of times and when he got sent down again it was a mad dash to the keyboard, to try to be the first to post "Down goes Frazier!  Down goes Frazier!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rogers Hornsby was well known red-ass in the baseball field. He got into an argument at 2B one time and after some back and forth punched the guy in the face. After the game a reporter asked we he hit the other player and he said "i wasn't getting anywhere talking to him".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hope Tim Anderson is okay in the long run, but part of me did kind of chuckle.   I can't stand him.   Dude trash talks and brags if he ties his shoes correctly.   Nice season, White Sux.   

I haven’t liked Tim Anderson for a long time and couldn’t quite put my finger on why. I don’t like swagger guys in general, but for a while he was backing it up, so I thought, that’s fine I guess—it’s not just bragging if you can back it up. And he does get involved in the community, so I respect that. But he was still rubbing me the wrong way and I couldn’t figure it out.

After seeing this incident and debriefing on it with a buddy, it occurred to us why the swagger just feels wrong with Anderson: he does it without any cheekiness or humor. Ali swaggered harder than anybody, but he was also winking at us while he was doing it, so you smiled while you went along with him for the ride. With Anderson, it’s like he’s street posturing, which comes off as just douchey in a protected environment like baseball, where bloody street brawls just don’t happen. You could really see it when he dropped his gloves and put up his dukes, like he’s some kind of badass. Which we now know he isn’t, since Ramirez found Anderson’s glass jaw in a hurry.

I hope he’s ultimately OK and that he didn’t get a bad concussion or anything—but I admit I did cheer a little when he went down. Served him right.

7 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

After seeing the replay I still don’t know why it started ?

One possibility is because Anderson was straddling the base like the Colossus of Rhodes, which puts sliding runners in danger of colliding with his knees or other bones.

• Thanks 1

I flubbed names today.  I could picture the Brewer / White Sox player, knew his primary position, his uniform number, how he thrived going from one team to another.   Got the first name right and accidentally typed in a teammate’s last name.  D’OH!

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

I haven’t liked Tim Anderson for a long time and couldn’t quite put my finger on why. I don’t like swagger guys in general, but for a while he was backing it up, so I thought, that’s fine I guess—it’s not just bragging if you can back it up. And he does get involved in the community, so I respect that. But he was still rubbing me the wrong way and I couldn’t figure it out.

I know why it is.  Because every time he gets a ****ing base hit he acts like it was the World Series-winning hit.      Act like you've been there.  Have some damned dignity.    By the way, the Tigers., bad as they are, are closer to that World Series than you are, Timmy.     Keep that left up next time.............or actually don't, that would be fun to see again.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I know why it is.  Because every time he gets a ****ing base hit he acts like it was the World Series-winning hit.      Act like you've been there.  Have some damned dignity.    By the way, the Tigers., bad as they are, are closer to that World Series than you are, Timmy.     Keep that left up next time.............or actually don't, that would be fun to see again.  

Reminds me of Keysawn Johnson vs. the Lions in his rookie year.  He made a catch for a first down and got up and made this ridiculous gesture..........the Jets were 0-8 at the time.   The network announcer called him out on that, too.  

14 hours ago, Toddwert said:

️ Immaculate Grid 126 9/9:
Rarity: 107
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

I could have done this one with almost all Tigers:

Edwin Jackson | Matt Joyce | Austin Meadows

Avisail Garcia | Prince Fielder | Andrew McCutchen*

Magglio Ordonez | Brad Ausmus | Phil Garner*

I didn't actually fill it out this way as I thought of some players after the fact.  I was still immaculate, though.

*I'm sure someone can think of someone here.  Does Garner count as he was a Tigers manager? 

The Baltimore Orioles suspended a TV host for commenting how long it's been since they were good.   WHAT?   I saw the segment, it's not a criticism, he's merely stating facts.    This is awful.     I would rather have this guy an Rah-Rah C-Mo any day.    Weak, Orioles.    Tigers - hire this guy and allow him to tell the truth.    The Orioles acting like North Korea here. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/orioles-announcer-kevin-brown-reportedly-suspended-for-broadcasting-truth-about-teams-former-losing-ways-222809697.html

Bo Schembechler was a disgrace to this organization and the U of M.  He fired Harwell, but even worse he enabled a doctor to sexually abuse many people at the U of M.  The guy is just as bad as Joe Paterno.  Even his own son wants to wipe him from his memory.

Edited by tiger2022

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Baltimore Orioles suspended a TV host for commenting how long it's been since they were good.   WHAT?   I saw the segment, it's not a criticism, he's merely stating facts.    This is awful.     I would rather have this guy an Rah-Rah C-Mo any day.    Weak, Orioles.    Tigers - hire this guy and allow him to tell the truth.    The Orioles acting like North Korea here. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/orioles-announcer-kevin-brown-reportedly-suspended-for-broadcasting-truth-about-teams-former-losing-ways-222809697.html

It would've been petty even if the pbp guy said it unsolicited but the fact that the graphics were up it obviously was a planned segment by the network which makes it even worse.

I mean how can you suspend him for just reading what was on the screen and/or reading the content that he was given?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It would've been petty even if the pbp guy said it unsolicited but the fact that the graphics were up it obviously was a planned segment by the network which makes it even worse.

I mean how can you suspend him for just reading what was on the screen and/or reading the content that he was given?

If anything it points out what an amazing job you've done by turning this team into one of the best in baseball.    It just make Orioles ownership look awful.      Is that the rule with all the teams now, be "rah-rah" no matter what?   Because that would be pretty sickening  (and it's one of the reasons most of us can't stand Craig Monroe as a broadcaster). 

On 8/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, chasfh said:

After seeing this incident and debriefing on it with a buddy, it occurred to us why the swagger just feels wrong with Anderson: he does it without any cheekiness or humor. Ali swaggered harder than anybody, but he was also winking at us while he was doing it, so you smiled while you went along with him for the ride. With Anderson, it’s like he’s street posturing, which comes off as just douchey in a protected environment like baseball, where bloody street brawls just don’t happen. You could really see it when he dropped his gloves and put up his dukes, like he’s some kind of badass. Which we now know he isn’t, since Ramirez found Anderson’s glass jaw in a hurry.

I hope he’s ultimately OK and that he didn’t get a bad concussion or anything—but I admit I did cheer a little when he went down. Served him right.

the guy compared himself to jackie robinson fer godssake.  and then cried racism when someone made fun of him for it.

like you said, there's no wink and a nod in his act.  it's all bluster.  a sound and fury signifying "i'm actually an ass hole."

10 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Bo Schembechler was a disgrace to this organization and the U of M.  He fired Harwell, but even worse he enabled a doctor to sexually abuse many people at the U of M.  The guy is just as bad as Joe Paterno.  Even his own son wants to wipe him from his memory.

I don’t know how old you are so maybe you remember, but it is hard to overstate just how much of a god Bo Schembechler was around the Detroit area, particularly during the 70s. I mean, the guy was basically Woody Hayes Jr, but since the authentic Woody Hayes was still around, Bo looked reasonable and like a good guy in comparison, especially since he was defied week after week by the Detroit sports media and Bob Ufer. Bo could do no wrong, and this was even after losing five straight Rose Bowls. It was downright cultish. Thank god Ernie dragged him down, although he himself got a little bloodied along the way.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

the guy compared himself to jackie robinson fer godssake.  and then cried racism when someone made fun of him for it.

like you said, there's no wink and a nod in his act.  it's all bluster.  a sound and fury signifying "i'm actually an ass hole."

I’m in an online league using OOTP 23, and it sucks to have to see Anderson’s punchable mug every time I launch the game.

• Haha 1

I always had a soft spot for AJ Pierzynski.  He'd carry a smirk like he knew he was being a **** but it worked.

I never understood the heat he got in 2005 in the playoffs for pretending the ball was foul tipped on strike 3.  It was a genius play.

Tigers should go after the O's guy now.