2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/08/bullet-that-struck-2-fans-during-white-sox-game-may-have-been-fired-a-mile-away.html

hey look, someone got shot at the sox game last night.  lol.

can we shoot that franchise and put it out if its misery?  i hope not, because the sox as a national embarassment is really fun to watch.

wow thats freaky I remember something similar happen in Kansas City years ago

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

for those who have been… how many days should I plan for Cooperstown? Can you see it all in one day?

One day is enough for most people.  You could hang around longer than that because it's a beautiful and relaxing town, but to see the museum and explore the town a little bit, one day should be enough.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

One day is enough for most people.  You could hang around longer than that because it's a beautiful and relaxing town, but to see the musuem and explore the town a little bit, one day should be enough.  

and its really that huge of a museum its kind medium to smallest space compared to other museums ive been to

1 hour ago, oblong said:

for those who have been… how many days should I plan for Cooperstown? Can you see it all in one day?

It was over 20 years ago and there was some sort of construction going on with the building when my wife and I went.  But, we got there later in the day and the admission permitted us back the next day.  So, we did do two days there, but an asterisk is applied.  And to be quite honest, we didn't spend much time in the room with the plaques.  I found that room boring and was more interested in all of the other memorabilia there.  There was a replica locker with game used stuff from Trammell and Whitaker in it.  There was a broadcasters area and Harwell was in it.

The town was quaint.  Obviously a lot of the smaller businesses are baseball related, but they are cool to wander into and check out to see their stuff.  One thing we didn't do was go to see the field.  Maybe it isn't a must see.  But there were some older guys there dressed up in baseball gear heading down there.  I suppose they had a game lined up.  I don't now, maybe seeing an inning or two of an actual game while there would have added to the experience.

Oh, and the pizza we had at Sal's down the street.  I have no idea if it is still there or not, and even if it is, is the place the same?  If we try a new pizza that's along the lines of New York type pizza (thin, foldable crust), one of us seems to mention a comparison to Sal's.

So, take that for what its worth.  Enjoy yourself there.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

It was over 20 years ago and there was some sort of construction going on with the building when my wife and I went.  But, we got there later in the day and the admission permitted us back the next day.  So, we did do two days there, but an asterisk is applied.  And to be quite honest, we didn't spend much time in the room with the plaques.  I found that room boring and was more interested in all of the other memorabilia there.  There was a replica locker with game used stuff from Trammell and Whitaker in it.  There was a broadcasters area and Harwell was in it.

The town was quaint.  Obviously a lot of the smaller businesses are baseball related, but they are cool to wander into and check out to see their stuff.  One thing we didn't do was go to see the field.  Maybe it isn't a must see.  But there were some older guys there dressed up in baseball gear heading down there.  I suppose they had a game lined up.  I don't now, maybe seeing an inning or two of an actual game while there would have added to the experience.

Oh, and the pizza we had at Sal's down the street.  I have no idea if it is still there or not, and even if it is, is the place the same?  If we try a new pizza that's along the lines of New York type pizza (thin, foldable crust), one of us seems to mention a comparison to Sal's.

So, take that for what its worth.  Enjoy yourself there.

I agree the plaque room is the least intresting room in the museum.  The memorabilia rooms are much better.  Also check out the little movie theatre.  

You do want to see the ballpark and there are a number of good restaurants, each of them with a baseball theme.  

21 hours ago, oblong said:

I have been twice, once in the 90s and once in the 2010s, and each time I was in just after 9, took my time looking at things, and was out around 4 or 5. There is a lot to see and take in, plus you’ll want a lunch break.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, buddha said:

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/08/bullet-that-struck-2-fans-during-white-sox-game-may-have-been-fired-a-mile-away.html

hey look, someone got shot at the sox game last night.  lol.

can we shoot that franchise and put it out if its misery?  i hope not, because the sox as a national embarassment is really fun to watch.

They have no idea if it's a stray bullet (in that neighborhood, not shocking).   I kind of doubt the shot came from outside the stadium.  

There's mass shootings everywhere else...........surprised it hasn't happened at a major sporting event.   Do you really think those stadiums are all that secure?   Especially collage football stadiums.   

Just a banner year for the White Sox.   Glad both victims are goin to be okay.  

21 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They have no idea if it's a stray bullet (in that neighborhood, not shocking).   I kind of doubt the shot came from outside the stadium.  

I don’t doubt it could have come from outside. In regions comprising millions of people and even more guns, I could see someone taking a shot from outside any open air stadium for jollies. In the case of Sox park, all they have to do is stand on the other side of the Ryan and fire at the correct direction and angle. There are a bunch of open areas, especially over by IIT, they could stand and shoot from. Given that the victims were in sections 161 or 162, which is in the right field home run area, and the way the stadium is configured, that hypothesis totally checks out.

Edited by chasfh

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t doubt it could have come from outside. In regions comprising millions of people and even more guns, I could see someone taking a shot from outside any open air stadium for jollies. In the case of Sox park, all they have to do is stand on the other side of the Ryan and fire at the correct direction and angle. There are a bunch of open areas, especially over by IIT, they could stand and shoot from. Given that the victims were in sections 161 or 162, which is in the right field home run area, and the way the stadium is configured, that hypothesis totally checks out.

The other reason I think it makes sense that the shots came from outside the park—beyond the practical impossibility of smuggling a firearm past a metal detector—is that had anyone in that section heard the "pop pop" of gunfire around them, there would have been panic, then a rush toward the exits, then it would have spread around the stadium, and the game would have to be suspended. Since that didn't happen, I would have to assume the shooter wasn't inside the house.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The other reason I think it makes sense that the shots came from outside the park—beyond the practical impossibility of smuggling a firearm past a metal detector—is that had anyone in that section heard the "pop pop" of gunfire around them, there would have been panic, then a rush toward the exits, then it would have spread around the stadium, and the game would have to be suspended. Since that didn't happen, I would have to assume the shooter wasn't inside the house.

Sounds likely

You hear stories about people being shot several blocks away by stray bullets being shot up in the air and Ive seen videos(maybe Mythbusters as well?) that prove that falling bullets are indeed still deadly if hit in the right spot so the stray bullet theory definitely holds alot a water.

The question then becomes whether it was intentional with hopes that something like this would happen or just an idiot that thought it would be fun to fire rounds in the air and didn't think about the consequences.

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

Were you able to get a bobble head?

That and more!

We got to Detroit earlier than expected after a seven hour drive.

We checked into our hotel and took a walk to get something to eat at the Sweet Water Tavern.

Then we took a walk to the Stadium since none of us had ever been there.

The game was about to start and I was talking to the Security Supervisor Supervisor about what we should do to ensure that Porter got a bobble head.

He provided the information.

We decided to go to that game too and got to witness an exciting game with the rookie Parker Meadows hitting a walk off home run.

Saturday we followed the Security advice to a tee. When the gates were supposed to open at 4:30 another security guard came to the gate and told us that the decision had been made not to open that gate and we would have to go to another gate.

Porter was Hugely disappointed, then the guy handed Porter a brand new MLB baseball we went through the other gate and all four of us got bobble heads.

We got to our seats in the front row on the third base line and Parker Meadows apparently noticed Porter with his Tiger's jersey, ball and glove and came over after warmups and signed Porter's ball.

Except for the two losses we had a fabulous Tiger's weekend!!!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Toddwert said:

️ Immaculate Grid 148 8/9:
Rarity: 190
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Cy Young are always hard to remember for me... players you think should have won didnt

️ Immaculate Grid 148 8/9:
Rarity: 194
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Guessed Asdrubal Cabrera for Indians GG and was wrong, I seemed to recall him being praised for his defense even though the metrics didn't always agree. 

1 hour ago, Dave Christian said:

That and more!

We got to Detroit earlier than expected after a seven hour drive.

We checked into our hotel and took a walk to get something to eat at the Sweet Water Tavern.

Then we took a walk to the Stadium since none of us had ever been there.

The game was about to start and I was talking to the Security Supervisor Supervisor about what we should do to ensure that Porter got a bobble head.

He provided the information.

We decided to go to that game too and got to witness an exciting game with the rookie Parker Meadows hitting a walk off home run.

Saturday we followed the Security advice to a tee. When the gates were supposed to open at 4:30 another security guard came to the gate and told us that the decision had been made not to open that gate and we would have to go to another gate.

Porter was Hugely disappointed, then the guy handed Porter a brand new MLB baseball we went through the other gate and all four of us got bobble heads.

We got to our seats in the front row on the third base line and Parker Meadows apparently noticed Porter with his Tiger's jersey, ball and glove and came over after warmups and signed Porter's ball.

Except for the two losses we had a fabulous Tiger's weekend!!!

That is fantastic.  Such great memories. Fridays game was so good. 

• Like 1