2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, Toddwert said:

I was thinking Dave Stewart won one

For the A's Cy? I got Bob Welch and in turn a low rarity score only because he graduated with my Mom and they went to either homecoming or a Prom together. After he won the Cy my Dad would joke with us about how she dumped a future Cy Young winner for him and things of that nature. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For the A's Cy? I got Bob Welch and in turn a low rarity score only because he graduated with my Mom and they went to either homecoming or a Prom together. After he won the Cy my Dad would joke with us about how she dumped a future Cy Young winner for him and things of that nature. 

I was thinking of him too but i could remember for sure if he win so i just went with the bigger name on those late 80's early 90's A's teams

Just now, Toddwert said:

I was thinking of him too but i could remember for sure if he win so i just went with the bigger name on those late 80's early 90's A's teams

I knew for sure he won a Cy for the reasons I mentioned but I was a little afraid that I misremembered the year he won and it was with the Dodgers and not the A's. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

What the hell is wrong with people these days? What do they think this is, 1940??

image.png.fe960f6f89b6918a535443f369ae6ab3.png

That is scary right there.   A couple of things..................The guy didn't mean harm, and he's lucky Acuna kept his cool, because he could have faced a beat down from about 25 other guys.    When the second guy non-violently knocked over Acuna he made sure to keep his feet in the air so he wouldn't spike anyone by accident.    Tons of credit to that kid.     A lot of other guys would have been swinging.  

Shooting at a game last week..............people running on the field now for a selfie........people are nuts. 

Have fun with the alcohol at a night game at Michigan vs. Michigan State this year.  That oughta be fun.        

Drinking and clout-chasing are responsible for a lot of this nonsense.      

This continues to be a mystery. Here's a story for four hours ago.

Here's the best part: they haven't recovered the gun yet. Wait, what? Seriously? Isn't it the story they're telling us that one of the women who was shot brought in the gun herself? (And, in a morbidly comic twist, concealed in her belly fat?) If they have the woman, how can they not have the gun?

This feels like someone wants the whole story suppressed and they're trying to BS, or outright lie, their way past it. If we're grasping for reasons why that might be the case, I think it's worth asking ourselves: where's the money here?

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/2023/08/31/white-sox-shooting-chicago

I've highlighted the more interesting parts in red(-ish).

What we know — and don't — about the White Sox shootings

Justin Kaufmann

Conflicting accounts about a recent shooting during a White Sox game are leading to wild speculation and confusion in Chicago.

Why it matters: The city and police still don't have answers about how two people were shot at Guaranteed Rate Field almost a week ago, stoking concerns about safety at the ballpark.

As police investigate, many theories have started surfacing. So we're breaking down what we know — and don't know — about the shooting.

What we know: Three women were injured in the left-field bleachers in section 161 during the fourth inning.

• No weapon was recovered, nor have any arrests been made.
  • The White Sox said their medical personnel didn't initially know the women had suffered gunshot wounds. Over the weekend, they released security video of the shooting, which shows nearby fans appearing not to notice gunshots.
  • The interim police chief said that gunfire likely came from inside the ballpark, countering early reports suggesting the women could have been shot by errant bullets from outside the stadium.

Reality check: Chicago police tell Axios they're still investigating all avenues, including whether the bullets came from outside the park.

The injured: A 42-year-old woman was shot in the leg and taken to a nearby hospital, police said. A report by officers says the woman suffered two gunshot wounds.

• A 26-year-old woman was grazed in the stomach, and a 31-year-old woman was nicked by a bullet that ended up in her hoodie, per a police report. They're both CPS teachers who were at the game to celebrate the first week of classes, ABC-7 reports.
  • The brother of the 26-year-old spoke to the Sun-Times on Tuesday. He was also at the game and said they heard a "loud pop" before his sister complained of pain in her abdomen, where she discovered a scrape-like wound.

What we don't know: Did a gun get past security? If so, who's at fault?

The intrigue: A lawyer for the 42-year-old woman issued a statement this week rejecting theories that his client had smuggled a gun into the stadium, the Tribune reports.

• A police report noted the woman has a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, per the Tribune.
  • The lawyer says his client had "nothing to do with the shooting." He also said she's a season ticket holder.
  • White Sox officials told ABC-7 they reviewed video of the woman going through security and that it shows that she didn't set off alarms.

What they're saying: The White Sox say they make every person go through a metal detector and search all bags.

• The White Sox tell Axios that Guaranteed Rate Field has a zero-tolerance gun rule in place. Even if you're allowed to carry a weapon for your job, you have to check the gun with security and pick it up after the game.
  • "As more information becomes available, that information will be reported," Mayor Brandon Johnson said this week.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:
  • White Sox officials told ABC-7 they reviewed video of the woman going through security and that it shows that she didn't set off alarms.

That would be a lot more meaningful if there was companion film showing that the magnetometer in question did go off on something at some point in the day to prove it was working.