2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, CMU97 said:

There is no doubt in my mind that if what Kirk Gibson did to a female reporter in the locker room in 1983 happened today, he would have been out of baseball. And I'm sure he is not the only one who got away with stuff back then that would not be tolerated today.

I think lots of stuff is still tolerated today until they get caught.  The kind of male culture you see in sports and other male dominated areas often tolerates mistreatment of women and most men are afraid to say anything about it.  This can lead to violence against women.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

The way society in general treated women even up until maybe 10 years ago is eye opening.   That includes not just people who did or said the things but those who laughed or let it happen without comment.  

That's because it's always been a man's world, and women could only try to navigate their way through it. That might be starting to crack now, but only a crack, not a breakdown. Still a long way to go. Just imagine fifty years and more ago when, with super rare exceptions, the only way for intelligent, motivated women to self-actualize was through the man they chose—or chosen for them.

42 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know the Kirk Gibson 1983 story? I know the Jack Morris 1990 story, though.

There was a female intern for one of the Detroit papers that was traveling with the team. After a game in Oakland, said reporter was trying to interview Gibson. He was Nude, being rude, and it escalated into him chasing her around the clubhouse and eventually out into the hallway with Gibson screaming "SHE WANTS TO F*** ME!" It stopped when another female tried to enter the clubhouse and witnessed the end of the incident. If I remember correctly,  the Detroit paper acknowledged the incident many years later, but it was all swept under the rug by that time.

I'm going to look up the article that details this after I post this, and link it. The article was about Gibson being diagnosed with parkensons, and how he had mellowed. He was remorseful for the Oakland incident,  but that was decades later. Like I said, it was all swept under the rug at the time.

Edited to add link to Mentioned article. It is a long, but good, read.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/07/19/kirk-gibson

Edited by CMU97
Add link to article

39 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

There was a female intern for one of the Detroit papers that was traveling with the team. After a game in Oakland, said reporter was trying to interview Gibson. He was Nude, being rude, and it escalated into him chasing her around the clubhouse and eventually out into the hallway with Gibson screaming "SHE WANTS TO F*** ME!" It stopped when another female tried to enter the clubhouse and witnessed the end of the incident. If I remember correctly,  the Detroit paper acknowledged the incident many years later, but it was all swept under the rug by that time.

I'm going to look up the article that details this after I post this, and link it. The article was about Gibson being diagnosed with parkensons, and how he had mellowed. He was remorseful for the Oakland incident,  but that was decades later. Like I said, it was all swept under the rug at the time.

Edited to add link to Mentioned article. It is a long, but good, read.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/07/19/kirk-gibson

I had heard that Gibson and Rozema were obnoxious and rude, but I had not heard that story.  Gibson came across as a wild man, but seemed like he was capable of being OK just by things he said about his relationship with Anderson.  It's good that he grew up.  It's unfortunate that having a terminal illness might be what helped him grow up.  I don't think Morris ever grew up.  

I think another issue was that no one would call their teammates out for actions like Gibson and Morris because they would be ostracized.  It was probably the same reason why UM, Penn St, OSU, MSU coaching staff who knew what was going on with their doctors/training staff pretended it wasn't happening--it was the good ole boys network.  Entitled people know they can get away with stuff and they will not face any consequences.  Basically, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I think another issue was that no one would call their teammates out for actions like Gibson and Morris because they would be ostracized.  It was probably the same reason why UM, Penn St, OSU, MSU coaching staff who knew what was going on with their doctors/training staff pretended it wasn't happening--it was the good ole boys network.  Entitled people know they can get away with stuff and they will not face any consequences.  Basically, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  

Pretty much

22 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pretty much

Point of clarification on MSU. This one had nothing to do with the good old boy network. Nasser targeted athletes coached by a woman. He got away with it because no one at the university really cared about the gymnastics team and, more importantly, he was able to abuse with near impunity under the guise of a procedure many in his field deemed medically effective. He even duped the FBI. 

Edited by SeattleMike

47 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I think another issue was that no one would call their teammates out for actions like Gibson and Morris because they would be ostracized.  It was probably the same reason why UM, Penn St, OSU, MSU coaching staff who knew what was going on with their doctors/training staff pretended it wasn't happening--it was is the good ole boys network.  Entitled people know they can get away with stuff and they will not face any consequences.  Basically, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  

Changed that for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

Gibson ruled the dressing room and he could be a real bastard, according to something that Paul Carey wrote.

13 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Apropos of nothing, this makes me wonder how many players who were pretty good as baseball, enough to maybe have a halfway decent career, got basically run out of the game because of run-ins or being bullied in the clubhouse with out-of-control alpha wild men like Gibson and Rozema.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, this makes me wonder how many players who were pretty good as baseball, enough to maybe have a halfway decent career, got basically run out of the game because of run-ins or being bullied in the clubhouse with out-of-control alpha wild men like Gibson and Rozema.

Interesting question, especially for players in the reserve clause days who had virtually no freedom of mobility. But on the other hand, if you were an athlete you probably had to learn to deal with or make your peace with that stuff long before you reached the majors. And even a guy like Gibson is just a guy, doesn't mean another teammate won't/can't lay him out if he pushes too hard. I suppose a lot of what guys like Gibson did was just sophomoric stuff, which other guys could just ignore. And of course doubly ironic that by the time Gibson got to LA it was the Dodgers' lack of seriousness that T'd *him* off.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting question, especially for players in the reserve clause days who had virtually no freedom of mobility. But on the other hand, if you were an athlete you probably had to learn to deal with or make your peace with that stuff long before you reached the majors. And even a guy like Gibson is just a guy, doesn't mean another teammate won't/can't lay him out if he pushes too hard. I suppose a lot of what guys like Gibson did was just sophomoric stuff, which other guys could just ignore. And of course doubly ironic that by the time Gibson got to LA it was the Dodgers' lack of seriousness that T'd *him* off.

We don't know what Gibson or guys like him were like exactly, and granted your point on making peace. Maybe some guys didn't deal with anything quite to that level or to that degree before reaching certain teams in the majors or spring training, maybe. Who knows if we didn't live through it? Just a thought bubble anyway.

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

lol.  The “Davids” together this afternoon at Old Timers Day @Yankee Stadium….. it’ll be a 24 hours of “Miller time” in NYC .  😂. Look out.

IMG_3409.jpeg

Wells isnt looking too bad... must be laying off the partying

Edited by Toddwert