2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, Tiger337 said:

Why don't the Tigers do this for Alex Lange?

They do that for Romano in Toronto.  We were there for a game last season and they dropped the stadium lighting in favor of some red lighting and the music and all of that, and I’m thinking to myself, all of this for a piece of cheese?

9 hours ago, casimir said:

Rarity of 4?  Dude….

Well, I followed that up with a couple of stinkers. 8/9 last two days. I thought for sure mark Langston had a 200+ strikeout year for the Expos, but no. I really try hard not to go with " obvious " answers in that situation like Pedro Martinez,  but sometimes it bites me. 

While my consant pouring over baseball cards, the sporting news and baseball digest in the late 70s and early 80s has served me very well, I do have to question why all that information is still in hy head 40 years later. If I had to fill out the grids using players from 2000+ I would probably get one or two a day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CMU97 said:

Well, I followed that up with a couple of stinkers. 8/9 last two days. I thought for sure mark Langston had a 200+ strikeout year for the Expos, but no. I really try hard not to go with " obvious " answers in that situation like Pedro Martinez,  but sometimes it bites me. 

While my consant pouring over baseball cards, the sporting news and baseball digest in the late 70s and early 80s has served me very well, I do have to question why all that information is still in hy head 40 years later. If I had to fill out the grids using players from 2000+ I would probably get one or two a day.

Yes!  Most of my selections are pre-2000 for the reasons you mentioned.  I probably spend as much time following the game now, but the details don't stick.  I think when the information was more scarce,  I absorbed every detail I could get my hands on.  Today, there is information overload and I just look up players in whom I am interested at the moment rather than looking at everybody in the TSN team stats.    

4 hours ago, CMU97 said:

I made that same mistake with Mark Langston

Good day on the Grid. Pretty easy, just trying to pick not well known players. The dodgers have had like 50 ROYs since 1947, so it was matter of picking one not many others would. They had four in a row from 79-82 (Sutcliffe, Howe, Fernando, and Sax), so I picked Sutcliffe.  I didn't think many people would pick Hubbs for the Cubs, but he was the highest % of my picks. Very sad story. ROY in 62 (after Billy Williams in 61), had a good 2nd season, but died in a plane crash in the off season.

️ Immaculate Grid 164 9/9:

Rarity: 7

IMMACULATE!

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

Play at:

https://immaculategrid.com

@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Screenshot_20230913-171741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e52f569e6e46532f07258e9c7ef2fd1.jpg

3 hours ago, CMU97 said:

Good day on the Grid. Pretty easy, just trying to pick not well known players. The dodgers have had like 50 ROYs since 1947, so it was matter of picking one not many others would. They had four in a row from 79-82 (Sutcliffe, Howe, Fernando, and Sax), so I picked Sutcliffe.  I didn't think many people would pick Hubbs for the Cubs, but he was the highest % of my picks. Very sad story. ROY in 62 (after Billy Williams in 61), had a good 2nd season, but died in a plane crash in the off season.

️ Immaculate Grid 164 9/9:

Rarity: 7

IMMACULATE!

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

Play at:

https://immaculategrid.com

@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Screenshot_20230913-171741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e52f569e6e46532f07258e9c7ef2fd1.jpg

Your rarity score was 7?

I had a cruddy day and got a 5.  A whole 5 right answers.