2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think this might be my worst.  Just couldn’t come up with much of anything.  Edwin Jackson and Octavio Dotel couldn’t help me.

The only Tiger I could use today was legendary Lloyd. I probably could have used, but former tigers are usually what I use first.

Dombrowski is the Billy Martin of GMs.  He wins in the short-term, but destroys things long-term.  Dombrowski is revered in Detroit, because that was the only time in the last four decades that the Tigers had a winning team.  He is less liked in Boston because they were already a winning organization prior to DD.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Dombrowski is the Billy Martin of GMs.  He wins in the short-term, but destroys things long-term.  Dombrowski is revered in Detroit, because that was the only time in the last four decades that the Tigers had a winning team.  He is less liked in Boston because they were already a winning organization prior to DD.  

who are they talking about in Boston to replace Bloom? Keith Law mention there was talk about Cora being interested. seems like Cora should be under the microscope too

47 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

who are they talking about in Boston to replace Bloom? Keith Law mention there was talk about Cora being interested. seems like Cora should be under the microscope too

I doubt it will be Cora.  They want someone with GM experience.  So far, there isn't any name emerging as a favorite.  

I got 7/9 today as well. Should've stopped after the whiffing on the first question of 30/30 and 200 hits. Trying to go for the rarity I said Kinsler but he topped out at 190 hits. Also missed the middle square of 40+ HRs and Gold Gloves. I'm terrible with GGs but I knew Goldschmidt has won a bunch in recent years and I thought he hit 40 atleast once but nope he topped out at 37.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I got 7/9 today as well. Should've stopped after the whiffing on the first question of 30/30 and 200 hits. Trying to go for the rarity I said Kinsler but he topped out at 190 hits. Also missed the middle square of 40+ HRs and Gold Gloves. I'm terrible with GGs but I knew Goldschmidt has won a bunch in recent years and I thought he hit 40 atleast once but nope he topped out at 37.  

Willie Mays works for pretty much any Gold Glove + stat milestone square.  

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I always forget when GGs even started so I was afraid to mention any guys pre 70s, I'll have to remember that they been around longer than I thought. 

They started in 1957.

Tigers Gold Glove Winners:

P. Lary

P. Rogers

C. Freehan

C. Parrish

C. Rodriguez

2B. Whitaker

2B. Polanco

2B. Kinsler

SS. Trammell

SS. Brinkman

3B. Rodriguez

LF. Cespedes

CF. Stanley

CF. Pettis

RF Kaline

The biggest surprise is Cespedes.  He was a good defender, but I don't remember him winning a Gold Glove or having the reputatuion to win one. 

I am a bit surprised Lemon never won one.  There were some great center fielders, but I figured he would have snuck in there one year with either Chicago or Detroit.  

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sharp observation.

Im not familiar with the area but I was always under the impression that the main blame for attendance was not just the park itself but being located in St. Pete instead of Tampa.

If that is indeed the case I don't know that a new stadium is going to help all that much outside of maybe the first year or two until the novelty wears off.