2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Atlanta has 3 SPs that will toss 30 starts and around/over 170 IPs.  Must be nice.

But I think even more impressively, they've put together a roster of everyday position players.  They'll have 8 hitters with over 500 PAs (4 of whom will be over 600 PAs) and a catcher that will probably get to around 450 PAs.

That's not the right way to do it.  They are living in the 20th Century.   

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Atlanta has 3 SPs that will toss 30 starts and around/over 170 IPs.  Must be nice.

But I think even more impressively, they've put together a roster of everyday position players.  They'll have 8 hitters with over 500 PAs (4 of whom will be over 600 PAs) and a catcher that will probably get to around 450 PAs.

That would make them just the 44th team in history (out of some 2,500 teams total) to ever achieve that, and the first since 2012.

image.thumb.png.1d74ae2e7d95406309fa341c02e8b6f7.png

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Looking at that list, I can see why some people here are pining for that for us. We grew up with a bunch of those teams!

It also works!  It's just hard to do and always has been.  It should however be the ideal that teams try to achieve before falling back on mixing and matching.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It also works!  It's just hard to do and always has been.  It should however be the ideal that teams try to achieve before falling back on mixing and matching.  

Several years before I retired this exact conversation/debate had begun to take place in our production facility. The practice of mixing and matching by having numerous individuals certified (I do not use the word “qualified” here) to staff several different poisons along a production process. I was a part of supervising pharma production lines and never was a fan of this approach but realized the trend was in place. I was ‘old school’ as they would say. Like baseball, each responsibility could be unique compared to the other positions up and down the production lines. 
This conversation regarding baseball is so similar to what I experienced. I admire what Atlanta has done this year. However, I look at how the Rays do things and am impressed with how they operate. I guess it’s really all about how you draft and what you look for in trades and drafts, an overall philosophy. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Several years before I retired this exact conversation/debate had begun to take place in our production facility. The practice of mixing and matching by having numerous individuals certified (I do not use the word “qualified” here) to staff several different poisons along a production process. I was a part of supervising pharma production lines and never was a fan of this approach but realized the trend was in place. I was ‘old school’ as they would say. Like baseball, each responsibility could be unique compared to the other positions up and down the production lines. 
This conversation regarding baseball is so similar to what I experienced. I admire what Atlanta has done this year. However, I look at how the Rays do things and am impressed with how they operate. I guess it’s really all about how you draft and what you look for in trades and drafts, an overall philosophy. 

The Rays have to do it the way they do because have such a small budget.  I am amazed that they do it so well.  So far, no other team has been so successful on that kind of budget.  

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Rays have to do it the way they do because have such a small budget.  I am amazed that they do it so well.  So far, no other team has been so successful on that kind of budget.  

Their Low A club (Charleston RiverDogs) won their third consecutive championship last night. The High A club (Bowling Green Hot Rods) just missed the playoffs this year but won their league championship the last two years. Montgomery (AA) is in the playoffs for the eighth consecutive year. Triple A Durham has won the AAA championship the past two years and may make the playoffs this year.

The entire system is top tier. The fact they can sustain this level of success is very impressive.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

That's how you do it.  The owners of the bottom 10 teams are asking their GM's "why can't we be like the Braves"?  And the response has been "the game has changed".  Which makes those owners roll their eyes.

28 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's how you do it.  The owners of the bottom 10 teams are asking their GM's "why can't we be like the Braves"?  And the response has been "the game has changed".  Which makes those owners roll their eyes.

well, you get what you train to. If you start platooning guys in the minors, you're going to produce hitters with a big platoon splits because you will never get better at what you don't do more of. Isn't Riley's story that he hits left handers because his father always pitched to him left handed?

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Speaking of the Ray, news out today that they are going nowhere - literally. Plan to put the new ball park exactly right where the old one is now. 

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think the owners are the ones who want their GMs to be like the Rays (winning on a low budget).  Then they find out it's not so easy and they don't like it.  That's what happened in Boston.  

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the owners are the ones who want their GMs to be like the Rays (winning on a low budget).  Then they find out it's not so easy and they don't like it.  That's what happened in Boston.  

That could be.  According to what I just read, the Braves have the 8th highest payroll, although only $6 million higher than the Red Sox.  It's the best front office in baseball.

12 hours ago, casimir said:

So, I, surprised that this hasn’t been brought up in here.  Remember when Rob Manfred was asked about expansion and he declined to commit until the Athletics and Rays got their stadium situations settled?

Two expansion teams and four additional playoff teams coming soon.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Two expansion teams and four additional playoff teams coming soon.  

I was working at a thing yesterday and one of the women there is from Indianapolis, and we both agreed that the majors would have to expand to 40 teams before Indianapolis gets a big league club.

We also agreed that it’s time for the AAA team there to change their nickname.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

This has nothing to do with anything and I know hardly anybody pays attention to this stat anymore but I just heard a fact that shocked me and that's that Gerrit Cole is the only active pitcher under 35 with even 100 career wins. 

If the current trends continue, I think going forward getting 200 wins will be more difficult than getting 300 used to be.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

This has nothing to do with anything and I know hardly anybody pays attention to this stat anymore but I just heard a fact that shocked me and that's that Gerrit Cole is the only active pitcher under 35 with even 100 career wins. 

Sale also have over 100 wins.  He may have been on the IL when you heard it.