2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Willi Castro has been sneaky decent this year. A lot of ink has been spilled on Candelario, but I probably would have held onto Willi if I had my drothers.

I thought they might keep him based on his age.  His walk rate, while still not good, is adequate this year.  It is hard to judge fielding of mult-position guys with small samples at every position, but defense was a problem for him in the past,  He is playing mostly OF and 3B, so maybe that works for him like Vierling.  

48 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Willi Castro has been sneaky decent this year. A lot of ink has been spilled on Candelario, but I probably would have held onto Willi if I had my drothers.

Early on I thought we might have kept him, and I would have been fine with it, although as with Jeimer, I just think in the end the clamor to shtcan him was just too loud. It does not surprise me that he would put up a 2-win season. And he's done it while playing four positions pretty regularly and three others when needed!

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought they might keep him based on his age.  His walk rate, while still not good, is adequate this year.  It is hard to judge fielding of mult-position guys with small samples at every position, but defense was a problem for him in the past,  He is playing mostly OF and 3B, so maybe that works for him like Vierling.  

Fun fact: Willi had positive defensive metrics on Baseball Reference, Fangraphs, and Statcast for his infield work, and on Reference for his outfield work, both this year with the Twins and last year with the Tigers. Another example of how the narrative sometimes drowns out the evidence.

Just now, chasfh said:

Fun fact: Willi had positive defensive metrics on Baseball Reference, Fangraphs, and Statcast for his infield work, and on Reference for his outfield work, both this year with the Twins and last year with the Tigers. Another example of how the narrative sometimes drowns out the evidence.

I just don't know how well the metrics work on a bunch of small sample sizes.    I think you'd need several years of data on someone like that.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I just don't know how well the metrics work on a bunch of small sample sizes.    I think you'd need several years of data on someone like that.  

Anyone is free to throw all the data out and go with their gut as they like. I'm no data scientist, but my view as an autodidactic stats layman is that, if multiple sources tend to agree in the same direction, then small sample sizes are more believable. Unless by small sample size you mean Willi hasn't played enough innings anywhere to be able to trust him playing 1,440 innings a year at any one position, but then I think that would apply to something like 90% of all players, even big leaguers.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anyone is free to throw all the data out and go with their gut as they like. I'm no data scientist, but my view as an autodidactic stats layman is that, if multiple sources tend to agree in the same direction, then small sample sizes are more believable. Unless by small sample size you mean Willi hasn't played enough innings anywhere to be able to trust him playing 1,440 innings a year at any one position, but then I think that would apply to something like 90% of all players, even big leaguers.

Any data point is somewhat useful, but I think you actually need a couple of years full time at a position before you can get any real confidence.  

️ Immaculate Grid 172 7/9:
Rarity: 332
🟩🟩🟩
🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

You know what would be a really fun feature on this?  Something identifying the most common wrong answer for each square.  I blew it on the Dodgers pitcher with 3,000 K; two wrong picks before getting it.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I wasn't a big fan of Willi, but no doubt his game was improving last season in the 2nd half playing mostly LF. You could have decided to bank on that. OTOH, he'd also been treading water long enough in a career that you could have assumed that as well. Coin toss kind of decision.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

My complaint about Willi in the OF was less that he didn't  have the skill to play OF well than that he was the kind of player that had too many brain farts in the field where he just screwed up. If he's found a way to play at a higher concentration level I can believe he is capable of being a good fielder. At short I didn't think his hands were good enough. Tigers never game him any kind of shot at 3B. Maybe that was their mistake.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:46 PM, gehringer_2 said:

My complaint about Willi in the OF was less that he didn't  have the skill to play OF well than that he was the kind of player that had too many brain farts in the field where he just screwed up. If he's found a way to play at a higher concentration level I can believe he is capable of being a good fielder. At short I didn't think his hands were good enough. Tigers never game him any kind of shot at 3B. Maybe that was their mistake.

He would have gotten one this year.  Everybody gets a shot at third.  

Marlins' rally in 9th halted by rain as finale vs. Mets suspended

NEW YORK -- The Marlins rallied late against the Mets, but their comeback was halted as Thursday night’s series finale was suspended with two outs in the top of the ninth due to rain at Citi Field. Miami was leading, 2-1, after scoring two runs in the frame.

The game is scheduled to be resumed on Monday at 1:10 p.m. ET at Citi Field.

According to Rule 7.02 (a)(5):
A suspended game shall be resumed and completed as follows:
Weather, if the game is called before it is a regulation game, or if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead.

Why does this matter?

image.png.a90c3c7474b9abd5b764dccac7cd0903.png

San Diego might be out of it due to all of the tiebreaker rules.  But there are 4 teams vying for 2 wildcard spots right now.  Everybody looks forward to the playoffs, but the play ins are in well under way.

Please, someone explain to me how MLB refuses to fire Angel Hernandez.     Believe me,  NOBODY is going to think it's ethnically-motivated. 

That Bryce Harper call last night was atrocious.  

My theory is that his lawsuits were to prevent MLB from firing him because it would look retaliatory and that would be the only thing saving his arse.       No, no it wouldn't.  He just sucks and everyone knows he sucks.    They finally caved and put him in a playoff game and he got overturned 3 freaking times because he sucks.   Threw Kinsler out of a game for looking at him.  Please MLB, do everyone a favor and can him.  Finally.  

22 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I don't know that a robot can accurately make that call but your point stands.

I think that it could eventually, but indications are that we aren't there yet.  Unforunately, we'll probably end up with another review system which will slow the game down after the refreshing speed up this year.  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think that it could eventually, but indications are that we aren't there yet.  Unforunately, we'll probably end up with another review system which will slow the game down after the refreshing speed up this year.  

I don't know, seems like ball-strike review could take all of 30 seconds. Either it's in their box or it's not. Isn't that how it's happening right now in the minors?

51 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

As for check swings, the rule is very vague... Umpire judgment. You can't really review/overturn that.

They might probably just be able to use that same angle we see in replays of them, and they could at least overturn the easy ones. The Bryce Harper swing, that would have been an easy overturn. Anything that's right on the line, not enough evidence to overturn, just like play reviews today.