2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, Jim Cowan said:

Kapler is out in SF.

Zaidi pretty much threw Kapler under the bus for his own inability to build a competitive team. SF was the top wild card in the NL at the trade deadline and Zaidi did nothing to help the team. He signed AJ Pollock and released him before seasons end. The team needed offense in the worst way and he stood pat. Kapler did what he could with what he had. Kapler had his problems too but Zaidi should have gone out the door as well. Should be an interesting off season by the bay.

18 hours ago, 1776 said:

Zaidi pretty much threw Kapler under the bus for his own inability to build a competitive team. SF was the top wild card in the NL at the trade deadline and Zaidi did nothing to help the team. He signed AJ Pollock and released him before seasons end. The team needed offense in the worst way and he stood pat. Kapler did what he could with what he had. Kapler had his problems too but Zaidi should have gone out the door as well. Should be an interesting off season by the bay.

They had 3 times the talent and 4 times the payroll of the Tigers and only had 4 more wins......

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

They had 3 times the talent and 4 times the payroll of the Tigers and only had 4 more wins......

SF is not an overly talented bunch. Like the Tigers, they have some promising players coming through the minors. Several made the big club this year but experienced the transitions pains at the MLB level. The Tigers are in a better place than they are in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, 1776 said:

SF is not an overly talented bunch. Like the Tigers, they have some promising players coming through the minors. Several made the big club this year but experienced the transitions pains at the MLB level. The Tigers are in a better place than they are in my opinion. 

I agree, make this looking sadder:

The Padres have an estimated payroll of $251.1 million for the 2023 season, putting them behind only the New York Mets ($336.1 million) and the New York Yankees ($268 million).

Craig Kimbrel did a genius move tonight: 4-1 lead, bottom of the ninth, man on second, two out. He needed more time than just the 20 seconds, so he deliberately spiked the ball on the mound to force a balk and reset the timer and get that extra time so he could concentrate on the batter. The runner moving the third doesn't matter. His only concern is the batter. And he needed that extra time. Again, genius move.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Craig Kimbrel did a genius move tonight: 4-1 lead, bottom of the ninth, man on second, two out. He needed more time than just the 20 seconds, so he deliberately spiked the ball on the mound to force a balk and reset the timer and get that extra time so he could concentrate on the batter. The runner moving the third doesn't matter. His only concern is the batter. And he needed that extra time. Again, genius move.

apparently Kimbrel has done this before - in particular in extra inning games where he preferred the man on 3rd where he couldn't steal signs.  Of course he could just use PitchCom....

20 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lorenzen did not make WC round roster for Philly

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Wow.  From a no-hitter to this?  He just needs some more Fettering.

I heard this opinion which makes sense.  In a three game set, perhaps part of a team's strategy is to take the 3 best SPs and then you fill in your bullpen accordingly.  Maybe this gets a team to 24 or 25.  Then you decide whether you need another position player (maybe for defense, base running, or whatever) over another pitcher.  That might be part of the rationale here.

Or maybe he's just simply pitched himself off of the playoff roster altogether.  I still wonder about the workload he has had this season vs prior seasons and he was bound to hit a wall somewhere after 100-115 IP.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

Or maybe he's just simply pitched himself off of the playoff roster altogether. 

In the old days, maybe before we were even born, they may have looked at Lorenzen's 4-2 record since the trade and said yeah, he's been pretty good, so he's in. These days we look at his 5.51 ERA and 5.81 FIP, his strikeout rate barely better than five and walk rate pushing up against four, his home run rate and hit rate higher than any season since his rookie year, and we can totally see why they left him off.

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

The uniforms, or "fit" as the kids say today, has been a small bright spot for me.  Makes me hate the new Tigers home uniforms even more.

Speaking of which, did you notice the "fits" some of the teams wore yesterday? Tampa had their Devil Rays throwbacks on, and the Twins wore their City Connects. I guess that's going to be a thing during the playoffs to goose MLB Shop numbers. Just glad we don't have to see the Red Sox wear their UCLA colors.

• Thanks 1

yes I did notice.  I liked it. Traditional teams like the Cards, Yankes, Sox, and Tigers should stick to theirs but I dont' mind the newer teams mixing it up.

I love the Tigres jerseys though.  They are beautiful.  I would refer that style, with Tigers I guess, over the current home uniforms.

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

yes I did notice.  I liked it. Traditional teams like the Cards, Yankes, Sox, and Tigers should stick to theirs but I dont' mind the newer teams mixing it up.

I love the Tigres jerseys though.  They are beautiful.  I would refer that style, with Tigers I guess, over the current home uniforms.

I know the Tigers are going to do City Connects soon, possibly next year, and I am taking a bit of hope from the more recent City Connects that, how should I say, have less flair than the early ones. I don't want them to go way off the beam with them in the way the Rockies or Rangers or, god forbid, the Padres did. Also, since Detroit is a conservative town steeped in nostalgia when it comes to tastes, I could see the design incorporating much of the traditional look into it. Maybe even writing out "Detroit" or "Tigers" in an Olde English font?

Detroit

Tigers

That might be pretty cool.

EDIT: Don't hammer me on the D, man, that's the way Microsoft Word renders it in their "Old English Text MT" font. This is just here as an directional example.

Edited by chasfh

Kind of boring, though I agree that they shouldn’t do anything over the top or cheesy (which I have very little confidence they will execute well).

Personally, I’d like to see something around Motown or the Motor City, leaning into what we’re known for.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to do something that appeals to the youth market, while missing wildly.