2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

does what you are seeing discriminate between trying to throw harder sliders vs just harder fastballs? There has certainly been an uptick in very hard sliders in recent years, though the sudden rage for the 'sweeper' does seem to be a move back the other way.

LOL "sweeper", I don't recall having seen that description before this year...actually, before June this year. It's like if you say "curve ball" you will be kicked out of the analytics frat and your street address will be published on a SABR chat room.

• Like 2

I didn't know that there was a gold glove award for utility fielders.  I like it.

I was listening to Dan Patrick interview Harold Reynolds one day.  They were discussing the actual trophy.  Turns out Reynolds' was pretty much a mitt and baseball spray painted and glued to a base, almost like a cub scout project.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

LOL "sweeper", I don't recall having seen that description before this year...actually, before June this year. It's like if you say "curve ball" you will be kicked out of the analytics frat and your street address will be published on a SABR chat room.

I guess 'Slurve' has been banished to the dictionary's 'archaic' headings.

11 hours ago, casimir said:

I didn't know that there was a gold glove award for utility fielders.  I like it.

I was listening to Dan Patrick interview Harold Reynolds one day.  They were discussing the actual trophy.  Turns out Reynolds' was pretty much a mitt and baseball spray painted and glued to a base, almost like a cub scout project.

Everybody gets a trophy.  

On 10/18/2023 at 10:53 PM, gehringer_2 said:

does what you are seeing discriminate between trying to throw harder sliders vs just harder fastballs? There has certainly been an uptick in very hard sliders in recent years, though the sudden rage for the 'sweeper' does seem to be a move back the other way.

Increased Pitch Velocity Is Associated With Throwing Arm Kinetics, Injury Risk, and Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in Adolescent, Collegiate, and Professional Baseball Pitchers: A Qualitative Systematic Review:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36649827/

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Increased Pitch Velocity Is Associated With Throwing Arm Kinetics, Injury Risk, and Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in Adolescent, Collegiate, and Professional Baseball Pitchers: A Qualitative Systematic Review:

!!!

: Higher pitch velocity is the most predictive factor of UCLR in MLB pitchers, with higher weight and younger age being secondary predictors, although these factors only explained 7% of the variance in UCLR rates.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Nice find. Explains a bit for sure - and with said that today's players are bigger, stronger and faster (better trained in some respects) - this is also part of that equation perhaps.

5 hours ago, alex said:

Nice find. Explains a bit for sure - and with said that today's players are bigger, stronger and faster (better trained in some respects) - this is also part of that equation perhaps.

I think you're onto something. I'd think it is very possible that pitchers, and players in general, overtrain, perhaps making them more vulnerable to injury.

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think you're onto something. I'd think it is very possible that pitchers, and players in general, overtrain, perhaps making them more vulnerable to injury.

While I wouldn't disagree baseball pitchers may well be over-training for strength as opposed to flexibility and elasticity, my question would be why would this be suddenly worse in the last 10 yrs? High intensity training regimes are nothing new in this period, they've been around for decades at this point. What do you suppose has changed? Seems some kind of creeping philosophical change has to have been at work.

On 10/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, gehringer_2 said:

While I wouldn't disagree baseball pitchers may well be over-training for strength as opposed to flexibility and elasticity, my question would be why would this be suddenly worse in the last 10 yrs? High intensity training regimes are nothing new in this period, they've been around for decades at this point. What do you suppose has changed? Seems some kind of creeping philosophical change has to have been at work.

I think the overtraining might have been worsened in the past decade or so by the accelerated trend toward seeking ever-greater velocity coupled with movement, driven by the need to generate swing-and-miss in order to avoid the home run at all costs.

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Attempting not to be political, but this sounds like a big deal. Not sure what the implications would be if Baseball's Anti-trust exemption was revoked.

I don't really care about the exemption as legal doctrine, but I guess I don't see anything but hand waving in this brief to support the anti-competitive piece of their argument. Companies expand and contract every day with jobs lost. And nothing in the reduction in the number of affiliated MiLB clubs prevents other sub MLB level baseball players/teams/towns from establishing independent teams - in fact MLB expressly tried to vaccinate themselves in this regard by advising disaffiliated team to go that route. The fact that the route is not economically viable acts more to support MLB's actions than prove anti-competitive behavior. I wish them luck but I'm not putting money on this brief.