2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

Interested to see how much support Utley gets. I think he has a really strong case, his JAWS number is 57 right ahead of Sweet Lou along with a number of HOF 2bs. His 7 year WAR peak is 9th and overall WAR is 12th among 2b. On top of that for about a half decade or so he was viewed by most as either 1A or 1B(with Cano) at his position. 

That's the positive, the negatives is that despite those things he only managed a few top 10 MVP votes and was "only" a 6 time All Star. 

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

I"m also curious to see what kind of totals Mauer gets.  I always assumed he'd sail in but I see a lot of doubters.  Too much time at 1B?

Yeah I think the time at 1B and DH hurts him. If you look at his career totals in WAR, WAR7 and his JAWS score they all are well in line with other HOF catchers but unlike most of them who played virtually entirely there Mauer only played 900 of his 1500 career games there. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I think the time at 1B and DH hurts him. If you look at his career totals in WAR, WAR7 and his JAWS score they all are well in line with other HOF catchers but unlike most of them who played virtually entirely there Mauer only played 900 of his 1500 career games there. 

His best years came when he was primarily a catcher, so I think he should get in.  He's an interesting case though.  

Mauer won three batting titles and an MVP at catcher, which is a really big deal, and he had plus-plus sideburns that got him TV spots, so he fulfills the fame part. Fifty-five wins is enough when paired with that. Maybe this year, maybe not, but I think he gets in at some point.

I think Sheffield has the career totals, what with 500 homers and all, but he was also a sort of generic nondescript slugger during Chicks Dig The Long Ball, so he gets a little lost in that shuffle. if he has his same numbers during the 60s and 70s, he sails in. Sheff did have a sudden vote surge on his ninth ballot, but he does have twenty points to make up as well, so I think he’s a long shot.

Victor will always be in the Hall of Tiger Fan Hearts, but he and Torii don’t have a prayer for Cooperstown.

Chase Utley should get in, since he has a ring and a little bit of fame through things like It’s Always Sunny, but the Utley Rule thing might cost him votes on the margin. Probably not this year, but maybe with five years he’ll be in.

A-Rod should have been an inner-circle Hall of Famer on his first ballot, of course, but there are probably still enough moral scolds and douche scolds to keep him out for the next eight years.

Beltre is the only lock this year.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Mauer won three batting titles and an MVP at catcher, which is a really big deal, and he had plus-plus sideburns that got him TV spots, so he fulfills the fame part. Fifty-five wins is enough when paired with that. Maybe this year, maybe not, but I think he gets in at some point.

I think Sheffield has the career totals, what with 500 homers and all, but he was also a sort of generic nondescript slugger during Chicks Dig The Long Ball, so he gets a little lost in that shuffle. if he has his same numbers during the 60s and 70s, he sails in. Sheff did have a sudden vote surge on his ninth ballot, but he does have twenty points to make up as well, so I think he’s a long shot.

Victor will always be in the Hall of Tiger Fan Hearts, but he and Torii don’t have a prayer for Cooperstown.

Chase Utley should get in, since he has a ring and a little bit of fame through things like It’s Always Sunny, but the Utley Rule thing might cost him votes on the margin. Probably not this year, but maybe with five years he’ll be in.

A-Rod should have been an inner-circle Hall of Famer on his first ballot, of course, but there are probably still enough moral scolds and douche scolds to keep him out for the next eight years.

Beltre is the only lock this year.

So Utley but not Whitaker ? How do they compare and does Utleys case affect Whitaker going forward ?

So, I'm at a junior high school event for my kid last night.  A kid walks by with this shirt:

image.thumb.png.9fb980c451c1abc1fced8f4683f924f7.png

I only caught the BO at first.  But then I saw it wasn't Bo Jackson.  So, he walked by me and I told him he had the wrong Bo on the shirt, and he just kind of gave me a quizzical look and continued on his way.  A few minutes later he walked by again and asked me what I meant.  And I told him Bo Jackson is the best Bo.  And again, he gave me a confused look and said Bo Bichette was the best Bo, who is Bo Jackson?  Who is Bo Jackson??!!  I wanted to grab him by the scruff and march him off to the nearest screen to watch some YouTube. 

These kids today, they don't know diddley.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I can tell you with certainty that he walked away thinking "Okay BOomer".

I'm used to that.

I actually like the shirt, I think its clever.  I've thought about getting a BO KNOWS shirt for myself lately.  I told him he needed to look up Bo Jackson and I was going to explain it a bit more, but he had things to tend to.  Hopefully he talked this stranger danger event to his parents and they explained to him that (1) Bo Jackson > Bo Bichette and (2) some boomers actually do know stuff.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame is planning to evaluate Andre Dawson’s request to change the cap on his Cooperstown plaque from the Montreal Expos to the Chicago Cubs. Dawson has long believed that Wrigley Field and the bright spotlight around the Cubs helped energize and extend his legendary career.