2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Morosi appears to have done some shark jumping in recent years, it pains me to say.

You have to understand that he's got people breathing down his neck CONSTANTLY about getting clicks.    I mean, it's a non-stop battle for writers now and so they have to try to draw attention to themselves all the time, so they risk their credibility for clicks, because they have to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You have to understand that he's got people breathing down his neck CONSTANTLY about getting clicks.    I mean, it's a non-stop battle for writers now and so they have to try to draw attention to themselves all the time, so they risk their credibility for clicks, because they have to. 

yeah, this seems to be a problem all over the media.  Media, in general, is losing credibility fast.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, this seems to be a problem all over the media.  Media, in general, is losing credibility fast.  

Integrity is long gone.     The most famous sportswriter in our town flat-out lied about being somewhere and even used quotes from people he didn't speak to - and he's still working.    30 years ago he'd be finished.   

It's all because News used to be considered a necessary financial loss for TV networks.    Then the execs started designing it to make a profit, so integrity went out the window for ad dollars.     

Watch BBC news when you get a chance (online).   Very little hyperbole - just very dry, straight reporting (most of the time).  That's how it used to be here.   Now its about stoking anger and fear to drive up ratings.   That trickles down to sports and even weather, so it's about getting attention first.    We'll apologize in the 25th minute in the newscast if we got it wrong.   

Hey, sensationalizing the weather for profit can be extremely dangerous.   People start ignoring the warnings.   here in Michigan if we are expecting 4-6 inches of snow it's wall-to-wall coverage, BREAKING NEWS.   4-6 inches of snow.....around here?  half the people driving SUVs?   Not really a story.     Then when a REAL dangerous storm hits people ignore it as just another and get caught off-guard.   Big part of what happened with Katrina in NOLA.   

It's only about ratings and clicks now.   News was never supposed to be that.  

I know someone who was fired as a news director because he refused to use BREAKING NEWS every single day.   He through it should be for major events only.  The final straw was when he refused to use it to cover a heated schoolboard meeting.  

• Like 4

Really, was it ever going to be any other team? They're the #1 team on the west coast, and arguably in all of baseball, over the last decade. Pacific time zone, closer to home, big Asian community, favorable weather year round, center of the entertainment and media community on the west coast. In retrospect, a no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Really, was it ever going to be any other team? They're the #1 team on the west coast, and arguably in all of baseball, over the last decade. Pacific time zone, closer to home, big Asian community, favorable weather year round, center of the entertainment and media community on the west coast. In retrospect, a no-brainer.

But we signed Kenta, he was supposed to bring other Japanese players here. 

They had 700 million, but we had Kenta.     $700 Million? Kenta?.

Angela's party has double fudge brownies, but it also has Angela

Double Fudge?  Angela?   

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I thought San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto had chances, at least from the outside looking in.

San Francisco has been rumored to be itching to spend money lately.  Ohtani taking hacks at McCovey Cove had some allure to it.  Big media market, west coast.

Seattle seemed to me to be San Francisco to a lesser degree.  And they’ve recently made some moves that made me wonder if they were trying set some things up to be in favorable position to land Ohtani.  Smaller media market, but essentially the entire Pacific Northwest for territory.

Toronto seemed to me to have international feel and possibly the ability to escape in a big city with the entire nation as the fan base.  It’s northern, but the dome is there for the games and he can go wherever he wants to after the season is over.

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

700 million for a guy with a torn UCL.  That doesn't sound smart.  

It’ll be interesting to see what the salary structure is.  Some of it is deferred. So what is the schedule of it, how will it affect annual payroll.

I don’t know if/how deferred salary affects the annual average value and luxury taxes.  I wonder if this becomes factor in the next collective bargaining agreement.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I thought San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto had chances, at least from the outside looking in.

San Francisco has been rumored to be itching to spend money lately.  Ohtani taking hacks at McCovey Cove had some allure to it.  Big media market, west coast.

Seattle seemed to me to be San Francisco to a lesser degree.  And they’ve recently made some moves that made me wonder if they were trying set some things up to be in favorable position to land Ohtani.  Smaller media market, but essentially the entire Pacific Northwest for territory.

Toronto seemed to me to have international feel and possibly the ability to escape in a big city with the entire nation as the fan base.  It’s northern, but the dome is there for the games and he can go wherever he wants to after the season is over.

I'm thinking Ohtani is tired of not winning, and none of those teams are as likely to win a World Series as Los Angeles is in the near future.

Just now, CaliforniaDreaming said:

That is just insane.  I can't imagine that the last 4 years of that contract are going to be pleasant.  But who knows....

I think the length is OK.  The risk is that he getting paid as if he is two players and the the pitcher have may have peaked already.