2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm thinking Ohtani is tired of not winning, and none of those teams are as likely to win a World Series as Los Angeles is in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Either that or he wanted 700 million.  

Well, the Dodgers probably have the biggest bag and best chance at regular season winning among the teams that were rumored to be in the scrum.  So, that’s a convenient combination if Ohtani wanted it.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Angels should have offered 700.1 million.

750 million probably would have been enough.  

But if he really wants to win, then Toronto or Seattle would have been good choices.  I doubt they offered him 700 million though.  

Edited by Tiger337

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

750 million probably would have been enough.  

But if he really wants to win, then Toronto or Seattle would have been good choices.  I doubt they offered him 700 million though.  

Neither of those teams, in my opinion, are as likely to make the playoffs, and to win the World Series, as the Dodgers. If putting himself in the best position to win was his #1 priority, then he probably made the best choice.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Neither of those teams, in my opinion, are as likely to make the playoffs, and to win the World Series, as the Dodgers. If putting himself in the best position to win was his #1 priority, then he probably made the best choice.

Add Ohtani and the Blue Jays and Mariners are likely to make the playoffs.  I really doubt he chose the Dodgers because they are more of a winner than those teams.  It's not like they are the Athletics.  I think he signed with the closest to home west coast team that offered him the most money.  If the Dofgers offered 650 million and the Mariners offered 700 million, which team do you think he would have chosen?  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I fully expect other owners file law suits.

I don't know about lawsuits, but if the Dodgers defer a sustantial portion of the contract so that they can avoid going over the tax threshold each year, I can see other teams getting upset.  I won't pretend to know what the CBA says about that, but it could be viewed as going against the spirit of the CBA.  

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Add Ohtani and the Blue Jays and Mariners are likely to make the playoffs. Add Ohtani and the Blue Jays and Mariners are likely to make the playoffs.  I really doubt he chose the Dodgers because they are more of a winner than those teams.  It's not like they are the Athletics.  I think he signed with the closest to home west coast team that offered him the most money.  If the Dofgers offered 650 million and the Mariners offered 700 million, which team do you think he would have chosen?  

Ohtani will have better players around him with the Dodgers than he would have with the Blue Jays or Mariners, so their chances of making the playoffs and winning a ring will be higher.

I don't doubt at all that he chose Dodgers because they are more of a winner, in addition to getting the highest offer. Elite athletes are hard-wired to want to win. They were also in the best position to offer him the most money since they generate the most revenue. I don't think the Mariners were in a position to offer 650 million. Even so, is there really a substantial marginal difference between 650 million and 700 million such that a player would choose to lose with a team to get that difference? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't want to work at a terrible company because they offered me marginally more money. Hell, I did something like that during my own career and really regretted it!

19 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I think Ohtaniis such an Unicorn that you cant compare him with anyone we've ever seen in baseball so he's contract may not be seen for a long time. Juan Soto probably wants 700 million also but hes no where worth it

I agree Juan Soto won't get 700 million, but he probably will get more than he would have had Ohtani signed for "only" four-something. He might even get six-something now, which I don't think anyone would have suggested before the Ohtani signing.

2 hours ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

That is just insane.  I can't imagine that the last 4 years of that contract are going to be pleasant.  But who knows....

Doubly ironic in the face of all the RSNs going belly up. On the consumer end its hard to see where more media income growth can come, everyone and his uncle is looking for ways to pare down their home media costs. That is the single biggest piece of what pays sports salaries. Next few years should be interesting.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Ohtani will have better players around him with the Dodgers than he would have with the Blue Jays or Mariners, so their chances of making the playoffs and winning a ring will be higher.

I don't doubt at all that he chose Dodgers because they are more of a winner, in addition to getting the highest offer. Elite athletes are hard-wired to want to win. They were also in the best position to offer him the most money since they generate the most revenue. I don't think the Mariners were in a position to offer 650 million. Even so, is there really a substantial marginal difference between 650 million and 700 million such that a player would choose to lose with a team to get that difference? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't want to work at a terrible company because they offered me marginally more money. Hell, I did something like that during my own career and really regretted it!

The Blue Jays and Mariners have very good teams with young stars and would have gotten even better with Ohtani.  They are not loser teams.  You've been pushing the idea for years that nobody will sign with the Tigers because they are not a winner, but I don't think it applies here.  

45 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I think Ohtaniis such an Unicorn that you cant compare him with anyone we've ever seen in baseball so he's contract may not be seen for a long time. Juan Soto probably wants 700 million also but hes no where worth it

True - it could be like the ARod contract. IIRC that first big deal of ARod's stood unmatched for years because there just weren't any other 1000 OPS Shortstops.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I think the lawsuit talk is a joke about the fella that suggested the Tigers sue Rodriguez for… something. 

Who gives a rip about lawsuits anyway? You can sue a ham sandwich.  If the market can truly afford this, LA will laugh all the way to the bank. If it's an organizational threatening overpay, I don't  care so long as I don't have to pony up. If someone were to ask me to bail out the Dodgers. I would vehemently insist they perform a difficult anatomical act with a rolling doughnut.