2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Honestly, evaluate and ditch cable if this goes through. Switching from Comcast Cable+Internet to Hulu Live + ATT internet is saving me about 80 bucks a month. The only thing I don't have with Hulu are the Bally stations, which for me means Rays and Marlins games. If this results in blackouts being lifted and games moving to prime, you can ditch cable, subscribe to Prime and come out way ahead.

One of the issues we have here is that cable (Cox) is the only game in town. There is no realistic second or third option for internet. There is one company that has signed an agreement for hard wired internet service but actually implementing it is several years away in our neighborhood.

We're using the monopoly's internet only service. It's the add ons that get expensive.

Now, now... the broadband companies don't raise your rates. What they do is create additional tiers with higher rates that you need to upgrade to in order to handle the streaming. Either way, i forgot to mention. I upgraded my speeds in that change from Comcast to ATT.

Some Smart TV's don't handle it as well as others. I had an LG, and it's built-in capabilities were complete garbage. Plug in the newest generation Chromecast (probably costs about 40 bucks or so), and it streams with no issues.

So in 2023, I basically saved $1,000 for the cost of not being able to watch Rays or Marlins games.

T-Mobile has been offering free MLB as one of their perks. They'll blackout the local broadcasts, Nats and those guys in Baltimore, but I can get Tigers and Pirates games.

The NFL package has gotten ridiculous especially since it's an add on to YouTube TV. We'll dump it after the season. Except that means to VaTech or UVa games. That might be a good thing 😉

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I get too much to give up cable. Especially for NFL and MLB and NHL networks. Most of the streaming services suck, imo. I might be the last dinosaur, but I will stick with it as long as possible. 

I'm with you. I appreciate not only the wide selection I get on DTV, I also like the centralization of and ease of access to content; not being beholden to the vicissitudes of Internet service outages; and once a year I'm able to negotiate discounts approaching $100 a month for them to keep me aboard. It won't last me the rest of my life (I don't think), but for the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with them.

33 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

T-Mobile has been offering free MLB as one of their perks. They'll blackout the local broadcasts, Nats and those guys in Baltimore, but I can get Tigers and Pirates games.

The NFL package has gotten ridiculous especially since it's an add on to YouTube TV. We'll dump it after the season. Except that means to VaTech or UVa games. That might be a good thing 😉

I get MLB.tv plus MLB At Bat gratis with my DTV Extra Innings package. I think I might be paying $20 or $30 a year extra for that versus just buying MLB.tv and At Bat a la carte.

4 hours ago, CMU97 said:

Well, let's dissect like you wanted.

Reyes' slash line last year in AAA was .279/.330/.462 with 20 homeruns, and an ops of .792.

The Lotte Giants finished 7/10 in the KBO with a record of 67-76.

Of note, Niko Goodrum hit .295/.373/.387 with 0 hrs and an ops of .760 for these same Giants. 

Does the Reyes signing make the Giants better? Contenders? Or does the addition of Reyes make both him and Goodrum revert back to their Tiger norms? 

I would love to hear any and all thoughts!

Edited by CMU97

3 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

Well, let's dissect like you wanted.

Reyes' slash line last year in AAA was .279/.330/.462 with 20 homeruns, and an ops of .792.

The Lotte Giants finished 7/10 in the KBO with a record of 67-76.

Of note, Niko Goodrum hit .295/.373/.387 with 0 hrs and an ops of .760.

Does the Reyes signing make the Giants better? Contenders? Or does the addition of Reyes make both him and Goodrum revert back to their Tiger norms? 

I would love to hear any and all thoughts!

Reyes should be an upgrade over Zach Reks.

If Lotte signs Harold Castro and Drew Hutchison, I think you gotta take them seriously.

MLB Announces Modifications To Pitch Clock, Other Rule Changes

This one is interesting:

Runner’s Lane: The Runner’s Lane will be widened to include the dirt area between the foul line and the infield grass. Widening the lane allows batters to take a more direct path to first base while retaining protection from interference.  The distance between the foul line and the infield grass will be between 18 and 24 inches in all parks, with some limited grace periods granted by MLB due to difficulty in modifying the field (e.g., synthetic turf field).

mlb-runners-lane.jpg

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wonder if that will lead to more doubles or double attempts? Without as sharp of a turn could a fast runner get more momentum? 

I don't think it will affect doubles.  I think on doubles attempts out of the box, runners try to cut the corner of the bag closest to the mound.  A curved path cutting that corner would start in foul territory.

Or I could be thinking about it wrong.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wonder if that will lead to more doubles or double attempts? Without as sharp of a turn could a fast runner get more momentum? 

If you watch the game, they run there anyways, especially RHB. This will just eliminate the Trea Turner play, and the incentive to just peg a player in the back if he is running there. 

50 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't think it will affect doubles.  I think on doubles attempts out of the box, runners try to cut the corner of the bag closest to the mound.  A curved path cutting that corner would start in foul territory.

Or I could be thinking about it wrong.

That’s how I was taught in HS (right foot on inside corner) but later on saw Gibson in a clinic advise to do the opposite, left foot on outside corner, his reasoning being at that point it’s more of a straight line.  Seemed weird to me. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

That’s how I was taught in HS (right foot on inside corner) but later on saw Gibson in a clinic advise to do the opposite, left foot on outside corner, his reasoning being at that point it’s more of a straight line.  Seemed weird to me. 

That famous photo of Cobb rounding 3rd base shows him touching the bag with his left foot and stepping over with his right, like a hockey player.  I think he must have touched all the bases that way.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

That’s interesting.  I can see his point of it being more of a straight line by flattening the curve around 1st.  So, that would offset the speed lost by running in a curved line vs a straight line.  But, and I admit I’m nowhere near qualified to theorize about it in an educated manner but I’m going to offer my hack opinion anyway, it doesn’t seem like there’s enough to speed to gain from home to second by flattening the curve.  I but maybe the thinking is that there’s more surface traveled at/around top speed which does offset the additional distance.

I just caught the feet/corner combos.  I would think right foot on inside and left foot on outside would risk more slippage and/or ankle rolls.  The left foot on the inside would seem to work better with the momentum of the rest of the body chugging around 1st.

I don’t know.  I wasn’t good enough at baseball nor fast enough to worry about such things.  Usually if I got to first, that was it.  Then the coach gave me a map of how to get to 2nd.

Edited by casimir

52 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That famous photo of Cobb rounding 3rd base shows him touching the bag with his left foot and stepping over with his right, like a hockey player.  I think he must have touched all the bases that way.

I suppose it might make a difference whether you know your are going to the next base or not. If you are going 1st to 3rd and you try to run that as a smooth arc at max speed, you are probably better off hitting 2nd with which ever foot keeps you on stride. If I'm going straight to 2nd, then decide or am waved to 3rd, I need to make a sharper pivot and if you go inside foot to the bag you get more leverage to make the sharper turn?

Edited by gehringer_2