2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

48 minutes ago, casimir said:

That’s interesting.  I can see his point of it being more of a straight line by flattening the curve around 1st.  So, that would offset the speed lost by running in a curved line vs a straight line.  But, and I admit I’m nowhere near qualified to theorize about it in an educated manner but I’m going to offer my hack opinion anyway, it doesn’t seem like there’s enough to speed to gain from home to second by flattening the curve.  I but maybe the thinking is that there’s more surface traveled at/around top speed which does offset the additional distance.

I just caught the feet/corner combos.  I would think right foot on inside and left foot on outside would risk more slippage and/or ankle rolls.  The left foot on the inside would seem to work better with the momentum of the rest of the body chugging around 1st.

I don’t know.  I wasn’t good enough at baseball nor fast enough to worry about such things.  Usually if I got to first, that was it.  Then the coach gave me a map of how to get to 2nd.

in all my time playing baseball and later softball I touched as little of the base as possible. I didn’t trust the “fat” part of the base when running with the intention of going to the next base.  It could be wet, dusty, my spike could get caught.  I never liked my whole foot on the bag.  

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose it might make a difference whether you know your are going to the next base or not. If you are going 1st to 3rd and you try to run that as a smooth arc at max speed, you are probably better off hitting 2nd with which ever foot keeps you on stride. If I'm going straight to 2nd, then decide or am waved to 3rd, I need to make a sharper pivot and if you go inside foot to the bag you get more leverage to make the sharper turn?

I never got any coaching about which foot to hit the bag with but I saw that Cobb photo at a very young age and from then on it was left foot at every base and it wasn't that difficult to slightly alter your stride.  It just seemed that the hockey stepover gave you a sharper turn, it shifted your momentum more quickly.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

We trade for Cahna, sign Maeda and Flaherty and we're pretty content with our offseason. Meanwhile the Dodgers sign Ohtani, Yamamoto and trade for Glasnow. 

Can't wait for the Tigers to beat them in the World Series.  The Dodger tears will taste like truffle infused caviar.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I never got any coaching about which foot to hit the bag with but I saw that Cobb photo at a very young age and from then on it was left foot at every base and it wasn't that difficult to slightly alter your stride.  It just seemed that the hockey stepover gave you a sharper turn, it shifted your momentum more quickly.

Hmmm.....  Your Cobb photo reference gave me an idea.  Get some video of Rickey Henderson and Ichiro Suzuki doubling out of the box.  Henderson for the right handed hitters, Suzuki for the left handed hitters.  That's how you run from the plate to 2nd.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

We trade for Cahna, sign Maeda and Flaherty and we're pretty content with our offseason. Meanwhile the Dodgers sign Ohtani, Yamamoto and trade for Glasnow. 

If you look at the Glasnow trade, the Rays got the best of that deal. The Dodgers were unwise to trade Pepiot away at his age and where he is in his progression. There is a good chance he will step right into Glasnow’s spot in the rotation. 

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sport needs a salary cap.  This is ridiculous. 

I am going to laugh, however, when the Dodgers fail to win the World Series again. 

Guess this means Kershaw to the Rangers?      

I’m going to laugh when they don’t even get to the world series again.

23 hours ago, oblong said:

Wonder if that will lead to more doubles or double attempts? Without as sharp of a turn could a fast runner get more momentum? 

I think the base line is meant only for running through first base so batter-runners can’t run all the way to the stands to avoid a tag. I believe once the ball gets into the outfield there’s not need to stay within that lane.

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I still play and I still do it the same way I always did: clipping the left lower corner of the bag with the outside edge of my right foot on the turn. That probably cuts a foot or so off the distance versus trying to clip it with my left foot, since that way most of the body is over the bag versus my way where the none of the body is over the bag.

Speaking of base running techniques: one inexplicable thing I will never understand is anyone who leads off from the back of the base. A lot of women I play with in softball, especially those who have team experience from their school years, do this. I will never, ever, ever understand it.

image.thumb.jpeg.b8f060d6ae4e0f79ca82b3215d371fe9.jpeg