2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Speaking of base running techniques: one inexplicable thing I will never understand is anyone who leads off from the back of the base. A lot of women I play with in softball, especially those who have team experience from their school years, do this. I will never, ever, ever understand it.

image.thumb.jpeg.b8f060d6ae4e0f79ca82b3215d371fe9.jpeg

I found this:

https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2106&context=ijes#:~:text=Since softball rules do not,foot is still in contact

Since softball rules do not allow players to leave contact with the base (i.e. lead off) until the pitcher has released the ball, starting with the front foot on the base and back foot behind the base allows a player to push off the base and take a full step with the back foot while the front foot is still in contact with the base.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

image.jpeg.7aacbd5e1457d6282e5000209f291936.jpeg

Dental Plan..............Lisa needs braces

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

I still play and I still do it the same way I always did: clipping the left lower corner of the bag with the outside edge of my right foot on the turn. That probably cuts a foot or so off the distance versus trying to clip it with my left foot, since that way most of the body is over the bag versus my way where the none of the body is over the bag.

Try it the other way next time, none of your body is over the bag in either case.  Look at the angle of Cobb's body rounding third, his left foot touched the inside corner, just barely, and his hips and shoulders are just about to make a violent turn that is a lot sharper than the slower momentum shift from starting the turn with the right foot.  The only risk is losing your footing.

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

OK, I’ll have to try to remember to watch these ladies next year and see whetehr they’re actually bolting like this as the pitch crosses the plate, which is the rule in slo-pitch.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One less jerkoff in the American League as Chris Sale goes to the Braves.      

Now, if someone in the NL can get Tim Anderson out of here the AL will be much better. 

The Tigers still play the Braves every year though.  It's not like the leagues matter that much anymore.  I think that's a mistake as I think the AL versus NL thing was one of the things that made baseball unique, but that's the way it is.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers still play the Braves every year though.  It's not like the leagues matter that much anymore.  I think that's a mistake as I think the AL versus NL thing was one of the things that made baseball unique, but that's the way it is.  

I considered posting the same comment you did here about an hour ago but I don’t think anybody really cares that the two leagues are, for the most part, indistinguishable now. I’ll never come around to the changes of the past several years as far as the leagues/schedules are concerned. 

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That’s why the 1968 Detroit Tigers 🐅 are the last true champions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edman85 said:

So one of the scout who is suing the Tigers was one of Randy Smith's top assistants. The Tigers record while he was involved in pro scouting with the club between the two stints was 685-986.

The Tigers should sue the scout.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Interesting, but pretty sure it's cyclical. In 10-15 years, there might be multiple players with 500 HR and 3000 hits. There's a lot of good, young talent. The only one I think is a dinosaur is 300 wins. I think 250 is the new 300. Don't know how many 300 winners we'll see after Verlander (if he gets there).

Edited by ben9753

6 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Interesting, but pretty sure it's cyclical. In 10-15 years, there might be multiple players with 500 HR and 3000 hits. There's a lot of good, young talent. The only one I think is a dinosaur is 300 wins. I think 250 is the new 300. Don't know how many 300 winners we'll see after Verlander (if he gets there).

There will be more players reaching 500 homers than ever.  I agree 300 wins is the only milestone that is going to very rare.  

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There will be more players reaching 500 homers than ever.  I agree 300 wins is the only milestone that is going to very rare.  

I can guess at two factors that impact this  - Well the first is not a guess, and that is increase in the % of college players. They almost always lose a year or two of career because they get to the majors a couple of years later than all-star level players that come directly from prep and obviously shorter career = lower counting stat totals.

The one that is more a guess is that I wonder whether higher training intensities and fewer players allowing themselves any real physical off-season downtime in their training cycle, results in higher injury rates over careers and thus more difficulty getting to high career counting totals. That must be balanced by better medical repair tech but which effect is larger overall?

Edited by gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can guess at two factors that impact this  - Well the first is not a guess, and that is increase in the % of college players. They almost always lose a year or two of career because they get to the majors a couple of years later than all-star level players that come directly from prep and obviously shorter career = lower counting stat totals.

The one that is more a guess is that I wonder whether higher training intensities and fewer players allowing themselves any real physical off-season downtime in their training cycle, results in higher injury rates over careers and thus more difficulty getting to high career counting totals. That must be balanced by better medical repair tech but which effect is larger overall?

I think it's more because they don't stay in games long enough to accumulate large win totals.  It will eventually get to the point where pitchers realize that induvudual wins are not meaningful anymore.  I think a lot of them are already there.