2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

does anyone else listen to Fangraphs Effectively Wild podcast? I usually listen to the team previews this time of year but after that I cant stand Meg and Ben and I stop listening til next spring training. I can't explain why but they annoy me and miss Carson Cistulli hosting

7 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I beat they stay pissing everyone off in the meantime 

And the latest I've heard is that Vegas isn't going to be ready until 2028. As if the A's are expected to be a lame duck franchise for four years! That sure is different from how the Pilots moved to Milwaukee, which they finalized less than a month before opening day.

The more incredible thing to me is that Major League Baseball, an enterprise grossing eleven figures annually and which is image-conscious to such a degree that they fire talking heads off their network for even implying that they may have ever done anything not completely 100% right, is seriously considering allowing this state of affairs to go on four years, which, at that point, they just might as well punch themselves in the eye every day for four years.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And the latest I've heard is that Vegas isn't going to be ready until 2028. As if the A's are expected to be a lame duck franchise for four years! That sure is different from how the Pilots moved to Milwaukee, which they finalized less than a month before opening day.

The more incredible thing to me is that Major League Baseball, an enterprise grossing eleven figures annually and which is image-conscious to such a degree that they fire talking heads off their network for even implying that they may have ever done anything not completely 100% right, is seriously considering allowing this state of affairs to go on four years, which, at that point, they just might as well punch themselves in the eye every day for four years.

I'm just waiting for some Silicone valley tech Billionaire to buy them and force the Giants to let them move to San Jose. To me that would be the best conclusion.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If I remember the story correctly, some of the Pilot/Brewer equipment trucks were stationed somewhere outside of the spring training site (maybe they left Arizona and went to Albuquerque?) not knowing if they were headed to Seattle or Milwaukee.

The four years is purely asinine.  How is it going to taking four years?  It’s Vegas.  They can’t tear down a resort and put up a new one in two years?  Is this their first demolition to construction project?

7 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Chapman signs with SF for three years at $20, $18 and $16 million with opt outs after the first and second years.

SF gave up 500k and a 2nd round pick for possibly a 1 year rental. Given their division and their current rotation feels like that money should have gone to Snell or Montgomery. 

Anybody looking for a part-time temp job?

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?from=googlesl&q=bullpen+catcher&vjk=0fac070428d45328

The Reading Fightin Phils, a minor league affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, are seeking a bullpen catcher for pre-game and in-game bullpen sessions during home games. This is a part-time position that is anticipated to work between 3 and 5 hours per home game.

When we were younger my friend and I would always talk about becoming a bullpen catcher and would wonder how one becomes one. Twenty some years later and I now find out that you can apply for it like any regular job. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

When we were younger my friend and I would always talk about becoming a bullpen catcher and would wonder how one becomes one. Twenty some years later and I now find out that you can apply for it like any regular job. 

Are bullpen catchers expected to give constructive feedback to pitching they're warming up? I gotta believe no, if teams're just hiring guys off the street for the job. Or maybe they do some in the majors, if they're long-timers, and don't in the minors.

This is a great article about the massive changes in baseball coaching in just the past ten years, especially the past five. Specifically, how outside consultancies like P3 and Driveline are becoming more important pipelines for coaches being hired by big league organizations.

As the blurb within says, they do write about some failures as well as successes. One part concerning the Phillies and Pirates, especially, caught my eye:

The Philadelphia Phillies, under general manager Matt Klentak, also tried to fix their player development quickly, by entering into an exclusive agreement with Driveline in 2018. The Phillies player development culture turned toxic, The Athletic reported at the time, as issues arose between holdovers and Driveline employees and player improvement became a competition for credit. The failed experiment was a signal of a larger lack of cohesion throughout the organization, and the Driveline contract wasn’t renewed.

As Pittsburgh has become more analytically driven under GM Ben Cherington, there have also been integration issues. As The Athletic reported last week, some players feel the blending of old- and new-school philosophies sent mixed messages and disrupted their progress.

I noticed this part precisely because the Tigers seem to be the opposite of this right now. Everything I am hearing is how consistent the messages are up and down the system in a way that never occurred before the Scott Harris regime took hold. That makes me even more optimistic about our chances to become a perennial contender at some point soon.

Flip side: we happen to be going all in on data science and its attendant adjuncts, such as hiring out of independent facilities, just as everyone else seems to be, too. So, standing out and making the difference in actual wins might be tougher than it would have been even three years ago when the Orioles went all in on the concept.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:32 PM, chasfh said:

This is a great article about the massive changes in baseball coaching in just the past ten years, especially the past five. Specifically, how outside consultancies like P3 and Driveline are becoming more important pipelines for coaches being hired by big league organizations.

As the blurb within says, they do write about some failures as well as successes. One part concerning the Phillies and Pirates, especially, caught my eye:

The Philadelphia Phillies, under general manager Matt Klentak, also tried to fix their player development quickly, by entering into an exclusive agreement with Driveline in 2018. The Phillies player development culture turned toxic, The Athletic reported at the time, as issues arose between holdovers and Driveline employees and player improvement became a competition for credit. The failed experiment was a signal of a larger lack of cohesion throughout the organization, and the Driveline contract wasn’t renewed.

As Pittsburgh has become more analytically driven under GM Ben Cherington, there have also been integration issues. As The Athletic reported last week, some players feel the blending of old- and new-school philosophies sent mixed messages and disrupted their progress.

I noticed this part precisely because the Tigers seem to be the opposite of this right now. Everything I am hearing is how consistent the messages are up and down the system in a way that never occurred before the Scott Harris regime took hold. That makes me even more optimistic about our chances to become a perennial contender at some point soon.

Flip side: we happen to be going all in on data science and its attendant adjuncts, such as hiring out of independent facilities, just as everyone else seems to be, too. So, standing out and making the difference in actual wins might be tougher than it would have been even three years ago when the Orioles went all in on the concept.

At a very high level.... I see mixing of philosphies as something akin to card counting in blackjack.  The "system" works over the long haul and with consistent implementation of the strategy.  Success is measured at the macro level, or over thousands of results.  It's not going to help on one individual result.  The system isn't broken because one player didn't pan out or even because you lost a 5 game playoff series....just like the card counting failed because you busted on hand that you were "supposed" to win.  

You measure an org's philosphy over a 5-7 year stretch, accepting that in some years you might have a bust. 

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Here is an interesting post out the potential danger of over platooning:

http://tangotiger.com/index.php/site/comments/plesac-says-to-not-stack-your-lineup-with-rhh-against-lhp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's not conclusive, but theory is intriguing.  

and yet....managers have always believed this at one level - because almost all managers prefer to alternate L and R hand batters. Why does that work? Specifically to keep the pitcher having to change approaches. If it works on batter at a time why wouldn't it work a game at a time? 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39686459/reds-noelvi-marte-suspended-80-games-testing-positive-ped

Reds' Noelvi Marte suspended 80 games after testing positive for PED

Jesse Rogers, ESPN Staff WriterMar 8, 2024, 05:00 PM ET

Cincinnati Reds third baseman Noelvi Marte has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Boldenone, a performance-enhancing substance, the league announced Friday.

Marte, 22, debuted for Cincinnati last year, hitting .316 with three home runs in 35 games. He was expected to be a big part of this year's team as the organization has high hopes of winning the NL Central with a young but talented position player group. Now, the Reds will be down a potential key player for half the season.

"The Reds fully support Major League Baseball's drug policy and its penalties," the team said in a statement. "We will have no further comment."

Marte was acquired in 2022 in the trade that sent pitcher Luis Castillo to Seattle. He's ranked 35th in ESPN's Kiley McDaniel's Top 100 prospects heading into this season. The Reds have other options at third base, including veteran Jeimer Candelario, who signed a long-term contract with the team this past winter.

I kind of hope Joey Votto can stick with Toronto.  He seems to be one of the more fun characters in the league.  He’s facing the end of his career, and he isn’t afraid to publicly wear that fact on his sleeve and acknowledge that it’s tough to face it.  He just got a bit of a life line from his home town team, although the timing of the deal and the depth chart really aren’t at all advantageous to him.

52 minutes ago, casimir said:

I kind of hope Joey Votto can stick with Toronto.  He seems to be one of the more fun characters in the league.  He’s facing the end of his career, and he isn’t afraid to publicly wear that fact on his sleeve and acknowledge that it’s tough to face it.  He just got a bit of a life line from his home town team, although the timing of the deal and the depth chart really aren’t at all advantageous to him.

If I’m not mistaken, he’s only 25 hits behind Larry Walker for most MLB hits by a Canadian. I’ve been a Votto fan and would like to see him take the top spot in this category.