2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'll gladly take something for Cisnero.  Maybe the return is Olson.  Maybe the return is Maton.  If they don't trade Cisnero, the return is nothing, except maybe Cisnero next season.

Jose is a nice baseball story - the Guy that comes back from nowhere at 30 after failure and years away from the majors. He is almost the perfect deadline deal - FA at the end of the year at an age where any year could be his last, yet throwing the ball well right now. Almost the Perfect Profile for team that needs help on a playoff push. 

The one thing that might limit his attractiveness to other teams is that even though he works short, for whatever reason - Jose rarely pitches on back to back days. It happens so seldom I assume there must be reason though if I ever heard why I've forgotten.

24 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Speaking of LHH in the 70's...rumor had it back in the day that the Red Sox were willing to trade us Cecil Cooper for peanuts, but the Tigers said "no".

That’s a bummer.  Always liked him.  The trade for George Scott with the Brewers was interesting.  Wonder if personalities were factored in?

What are today's roster moves? I am imagining Boyd to the IL to clear the way for Manning, but which IL? How do they clear room on the 40 for Manning? Is Vest IL'ed, and if so who replaces him? If it is Brieske or Wingenter, how do they clear room on the 40 there? Could they get creative and bring somebody like Lipcius or Solak up and DFA Schoop?

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

What are today's roster moves? I am imagining Boyd to the IL to clear the way for Manning, but which IL? How do they clear room on the 40 for Manning? Is Vest IL'ed, and if so who replaces him? If it is Brieske or Wingenter, how do they clear room on the 40 there? Could they get creative and bring somebody like Lipcius or Solak up and DFA Schoop?

surprised nothing is posted yet. Maybe they are waiting to see if the guy they want is going to make his connection to get there on time before they make anything official.

What is a 'lower leg strain' ?(Vest), pulled calf muscle?

What a waste of two years for Boyd. If they'd done UCL when they did the flexor surgery he'd be back now. So you wonder - did they see degradation of his UCL two two years ago and think is wasn't that bad, or miss it or did Matt just manage to damage a UCL  that hadn't been that bad two yrs ago? 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's done.   

I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back for the 2025 season.   He'll only by 34 years old and the way TJ surgery is going these days, he'll probably be better than he was before.  

"The first (priority), we wanted to find someone who could mentor the young pitchers that we have in the big leagues and that are coming through our system," Harris said Dec. 14. "The second priority, we wanted to find someone with significant upside and who gives us a chance to get off to a fast start in 2023. And Matt is not the same pitcher that he was when he was here in Detroit."

This is not meant to pile on Matthew Boyd. It's more about what Scott H was spinning last December when gave him $10 million.