2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

This is not meant to pile on Matthew Boyd. It's more about what Scott H was spinning last December when gave him $10 million.

Yeah - the 2023 version of Boyd looked pretty much like Matt has always looked so that part was smoke. OTOH, $10M for a single year to 4.5 FIP/90 ERA+ FA is not a serious enough overpay to complain about. Really in baseball today almost anything you give a guy if you can limit it to one year is not so bad deal for ownership.

10 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Yep, I still stand by my fears past year's injury could be a precursor.

you mean for a 2nd then? Ok, sure. At this point every pitcher is at risk at all times. My original post about Skubal was for the langauge joke, not the science.

The counter example is maybe Anibal Sanchez. Again, have forgotten the exact details but at the time we got him I didn't think his arm had a chance of going much further after what it had already been through, but the guy made though another 1200 IP after his trade here.

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Geez, who is our All-Star?   

Probably Lange, right?  

My choice would be Jason Foley.   

Slim Pickins  

I’d rather not send a player given the fact that (1) none of them are really all stars and (2) the Tigers have had enough injuries this season, no need to chance the Tiger rep step off of the platform and break an ankle during team photos.

It would have been Eduardo Rodriguez. Heck, it might still be Eduardo Rodriguez.

EDIT: I don't understand why this makes you sad? He is on track to be back in time and he was the AL ERA leader for weeks even after he was injured.

Edited by chasfh
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It would have been Eduardo Rodriguez. Heck, it might still be Eduardo Rodriguez.

EDIT: I don't understand why this makes you sad? He is on track to be back in time and he was the AL ERA leader for weeks even after he was injured.

Agreed but would he turn it down for health reasons?

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Agreed but would he turn it down for health reasons?

Would he turn it down? Maybe. Would the Tigers strongly advise him to not accept? Strikes me as more plausible. I'm not saying anything like 100% he's gonna be selected to be our rep, but I do think it is comfortably within the range of outcomes.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm just sad because the pitcher (and hitter) leading the team in WAR are still leading it after being out a full month.

Edited by gehringer_2

I was worried he'd get imaging showing a sprain and time off from gettign hit on the inside of the knee. My MCL got sprained last year when I got hit on the outside of my knee and it's been dodgy ever since. But they must think he's not showing any signs of ligament damage. Thank goodness for that. Bones can heal; some ligaments can't.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm just sad because the pitcher (and hitter) leading the team in WAR are still leading it after being out a full month.

OK, I thought maybe you were sad at the idea of his going to the All-Star Game, which I couldn't figure out.

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

almost 60 days out and Spencer Turnbull was supposed to throw a 'touch and feel' bullpen - whatever that is.

Does anyone think he is actually going to get in to another game for the Tigers this season? Ever?

Yeah I don't think that the miracles of modern science are very likely to allow him to return this year.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

almost 60 days out and Spencer Turnbull was supposed to throw a 'touch and feel' bullpen - whatever that is.

Does anyone think he is actually going to get in to another game for the Tigers this season? Ever?

I gotta figure out how to photoshop his picture onto a milk carton for a game thread.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

He’s with the club, so there doesn’t appear to be any animosity. I think he’ll pitch—he basically needs to re-establish his value if he hopes to score in free agency.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Two pitchers to be activated this week. Hill will be sent down and probably Logue. Too bad Shreve has no options, he's toxic right now, 3 bad outings in his last 4.   

Gonna have to make a 40 man room for Skubal, so Shreve's lack of options could work against him.

Also a 40 man move for Brieske and Wingenter whose 30 day rehab limits are nigh.

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Gonna have to make a 40 man room for Skubal, so Shreve's lack of options could work against him.

Also a 40 man move for Brieske and Wingenter whose 30 day rehab limits are nigh.

Hill, Schoop. Heck Maton has been such a wreck I'd guess he'd get through waivers easily if they wanted to get him back into the system but off the 40. 

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Maton would not clear waivers and won't get DFA'ed.

Of course he's hitting at Toledo....

I have to say I don't see the fascination. Decent walk rate but other than that a dime-a-dozen 4A 2B.

Obviously the right guy likes him  (Harris)

Edited by gehringer_2

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course he's hitting at Toledo....

I have to say I don't see the fascination. Decent walk rate but other than that a dime-a-dozen 4A 2B.

Obviously the right guy likes him  (Harris)

Yeah he is going to get lots and lots of rope, at least 2 years' worth.  It's like in football, the new GM never cuts his own draft picks, he cuts guys that his predecessor chose.

I don't think they would let any pitchers go besides Calvo and maybe Shreve. I think it will come down to who has options so Olson and White probably get sent back to Toledo.

Position players I wouldn't miss are Nevin, Schoop, Solak, Cabrera (highly unlikely) and Marisnick once Greene is back.