2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Honestly, people used to complain about Alex Avila's BA all the time too.    Who cares.  He's so good at framing that it almost doesn't matter what Jake does at the plate, that's just gravy.  

Rogers is pretty similar to Avila...or at least what I recall of Avila.  Good power...high OBP..excellent receiver who's really good at framing pitches.

Note...in my world..high OBP is determined by points over BA.  Rogers has consistently posted an OBP thats 75-100 pts above his BA

1 minute ago, Shinzaki said:

Rogers is pretty similar to Avila...or at least what I recall of Avila.  Good power...high OBP..excellent receiver who's really good at framing pitches.

Note...in my world..high OBP is determined by points over BA.  Rogers has consistently posted an OBP thats 75-100 pts above his BA

eyeso

24 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Rogers' lack of recognition stems from lack of playing time.  He has 172 PA's; Torkelson has 349.

he was playing something like 50% but it needs to get to more like 60%. They keeping thinking a switch is going to flip for Haase, but even if you throw out this season, Haase's HR rate over '21-'22 was one in 20 PA. Jake's HR rate this season is better than that anyway (one in ~17)  and he's the better catcher. I understand keeping him healthy but he'll still get plenty of rest playing more than Hinch has been willing to use him. At this point there is little reason to play Hasse  more for the sake of offense.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

he was playing something like 50% but it needs to get to more like 60%. They keeping thinking a switch is going to flip for Haase, but even if you throw out this season, Haase's HR rate over '21-'22 was one in 20 PA. Jake's HR rate this season is better than that anyway (one in ~17)  and he's the better catcher. I understand keeping him healthy but he'll still get plenty of rest playing more than Hinch has been willing to use him. At this point there is little reason to play Hasse  more for the sake of offense.

I'd like to see 225 PA's in the second half, that would get him to about 400.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The 40-man roster is full. Not sure who you are missing in your count, but they have 48 with 8 on the 60-Day, with three on the 60-Day nearing the end of their Toledo rehabs. And Blair Calvo is on the 40 in Toledo, so the list you are looking at is not right.

This is the problem when people like McCosky fumble roster terminology. The mechanics of Marisnick's probably demotion are as follows. He is out of options, but he is also over five years service time. Out of options means he has to go through waivers to be sent to the minor leagues. Over five years service time gives him the right to refuse that assignment. Having been previously outrighted gives him the right to declare free agency instead of going to Toledo.  So... he's likely going to clear waivers, and he accepted his assignment with the White Sox in may and decided to hang around. I bet he can be outrighted without incident. Being out of options does not mean he will be released. The only way he is released is if he refuses assignment and forces the Tigers hand. For these purposes, refusing assignment is not something that shows up in the transactions log, and declaring free agency is what Seth Elledge did a couple weeks ago.

Yes, I missed Calvo.  Good catch.  I was looking at baseball reference.  Obviously the clue of Wentz being listed as the only healthy pitcher not in Detroit narrowed that one down.

As for Marisnick, that’s an E - Casimir, not an E- McCoskey.  I lazily tossed out the term release when it should have been designed for assignment.  I stand corrected, that one is squarely on me.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The odd coindence is that what I would say were Harris' only two misses both related to 3B, Maton and Malloy. And Malloy may yet end up a valuable MLB hitter, he's just apparently not going to do it at 3B. A couple of possibilities: 3B just happens to be an unusually hard position to fill right now, or who ever was assigned to grade 3B glove work wasn't up to the task.

The other possibility is that they simply thought Jimenez’ value was at his peak and they valued Malloy’s bat enough that they would worry about defense later.  I mean, they moved a RP with only one season of control left for a probable everyday bat, position to be determined.  For a team in year 7 of a rebuild, you do make the trade.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Foley should be the Tiger all star game rep if you agree with the every team needs to be represented theory.  Prove me wrong.

I'd say him or Rogers. Rogers quietly is 3rd in among catchers in WAR in the AL so he had a strong argument to be the 3rd catcher on the roster but unfortunately for him the Royals didn't have any obvious reps so Perez was chosen for them which pretty much killed Jake's chances cause they weren't going to select 4 catchers. 

25 minutes ago, casimir said:

The other possibility is that they simply thought Jimenez’ value was at his peak and they valued Malloy’s bat enough that they would worry about defense later.  I mean, they moved a RP with only one season of control left for a probable everyday bat, position to be determined.  For a team in year 7 of a rebuild, you do make the trade.

sure, as a general value proposition Jimenez may not have been enough to bring a starting 3B. But that's tactics, the need to fill 3b was a strategic requirement.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Honestly, people used to complain about Alex Avila's BA all the time too.    Who cares.  He's so good at framing that it almost doesn't matter what Jake does at the plate, that's just gravy.  

Framing pitches will be a lost art if they go to computerized ball/strike calls.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers seem like a decent org most of the time. You'd think they'd at least call around for him and see if they can move him. Or if his agent is any good he'll know if he has a potental landing spot somewhere if he refuses assignment. Otherwise his best career move would be to go to AAA so he can keep playing and work toward getting a ST invite from a team next season.

Of course the other question is whether they have playing time for him in Toledo. Once Baddoo is activated their roster shows 4 OFs. Parker is going to play everyday. Witherspoon and Steele are filler, Solak is just as much an IF, so why not?

Marisnick has a history with Hinch. Also a RH bat who can play excellent defense. Platoon with Baddoo for LF?

29 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Marisnick has a history with Hinch. Also a RH bat who can play excellent defense. Platoon with Baddoo for LF?

I'm sure Hinch would love to have another RH OF, I just don't see where you get him on the 26. You'd be down to one IF on the bench unless they they go to 12 pitchers, but that seems pretty unlikey also.

49 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Framing pitches will be a lost art if they go to computerized ball/strike calls.

good riddance I'd say. Catchers jerking pitches all over the place has gotten ridiculous. The batter shouldn't suffer for a catcher's ability to fool an umpire. But much like the ptich clock, the umps brought this on the game by their own lack of use of their own authority. The first ump that saw a catcher jerk a ball back into the strike zone should have told that catcher that  on any pitch where he didn't stay put where he caught it, he would automatically assume it was a ball.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't think are going to do that fully.  I believe they are going to have a challenge system like the instant replays already in place which would be a shame.  

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

They could keep Marisnick by letting Vierling play the infield but why keep a 32 year old who's best 2 war season is far behind him? I love the defense but this team really needs more offense.

Vierling has a total of 26 career chances at 2B and 3B and he's never played SS. He's not exactly a drop in replacement for Zack Short. :classic_laugh:

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Vierling has a total of 26 career chances at 2B and 3B and he's never played SS. He's not exactly a drop in replacement for Zack Short. :classic_laugh:

I was thinking Schoop but Marisnick and Schoop are both older defensive players who can't hit so we want both replaced eventually.

Vierling and McKinstry appear to be the two best baseball players on the team right now, without Greene. I'd like to see them both make a serious dent into infield playing time in the second half. And I'm not looking for more platooners, I want to find a guy to play 150 games at second and another to do the same at third.  They probably are not the guys but let's have a look. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Vierling and McKinstry appear to be the two best baseball players on the team right now, without Greene. I'd like to see them both make a serious dent into infield playing time in the second half. And I'm not looking for more platooners, I want to find a guy to play 150 games at second and another to do the same at third.  They probably are not the guys but let's have a look. 

you've got the wrong manager.