2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Report on T, Alexander must have been bad. MLB site has moved his status to 60d IL....

Shoulder/lat. 

Unfreaking believable.

Likely Out for the season from McCoskys twitter

Edited by Toddwert

Perhaps Lorenzen was worthy of the All Star team just by surviving the Tigers curse on pitchers. Yeah he was injured in Spring training and missed his opening start but since then he has been healthy. So being able to pitch a half season with us and throw the amount of pitches he has and not get injured may be more impressive than any stats that the other All Stars put up. 

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

C - Rogers

1B - Tork

2B - Ibanez

SS - Baez

3B - McKinstry

LF - Baddoo

CF - Greene

RF - Vierling

DH - Carpenter

Haase back up catcher. Some LF

Cabrera DH against lefties

Schoop back up infielder

Short back up infielder

Marisnick odd man out 

In the offseason, try to improve at second, third and corner outfield so the bench ends up being Haase, McKinstry, Baddoo and maybe Ibanez. Keith and Malloy might be those guys or someone outside the organization.

Yes I think you and G2 are correct but how much does Schoop play on this team ? I would rather have the defense in center Marisnick provided. It’s elite and keep Carpenter at DH only and Badoo part time. 

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Whit Merrifield an All Star, what a joke.

I'm not sure what being an all star really means anymore.  Merrifield shouldn't be on the team.  Lorenzen shouldn't be on the team.  There are these issues every year. 

But its merely an exhibition game, so does it really mean anything anyway?  Heck, they added Pujols and Cabrera to the team last year.

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yeah I wouldn't think that Marisnick is in line ahead of Baddoo.

I think if one goes through the exercise of putting together the 13 position players after Greene and Baddoo are healthy and back on the roster, its difficult to find a spot for Marisnick unless another OF or Cabrera find themselves on the injured list. 

Marisnick is a Tiger simply because the CF depth chart is decimated and he was easily acquired to fill that depth chart.  The team was looking at Short as the backup CF.  You can't do that.  I think to the discussion regarding platooning and how to fill up a roster, I think defense is key up the middle.  So, yeah, go ahead and fill the CF void with defense over offense.  It ain't like offense is easily acquirable for CF anyway.

Part of me wishes this team was 12+ games out of 1st place with the season basically over by now, then I wouldnt be so irritated with the apparent lack f*cks to give by this org regarding their own offense.  Hopefully Greene injects some life, and Badoo is Badoo when he gets back, he's not exactly a game breaker.  

On an ass note, how long does Harvy get to default be the worst, every day cleanup hitter in baseball? Because this is getting masocistic at this rate...

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think if one goes through the exercise of putting together the 13 position players after Greene and Baddoo are healthy and back on the roster, its difficult to find a spot for Marisnick unless another OF or Cabrera find themselves on the injured list. 

What they really want is a LH hitting MIF - i.e., they want Maton back in a functional state. The have Camargo - who may be more capable as a 3B, but he's not on the 40 so they'd have to reach another step on the desperation scale.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

What they really want is a LH hitting MIF - i.e., they want Maton back in a functional state. The have Camargo - who may be more capable as a 3B, but he's not on the 40 so they'd have to reach another step on the desperation scale.

McKinstry can return to 2B soon, but we may have seen his best work.  I wouldn’t rule Maton out yet, but he’s certainly got work to do.

Cabrera and Schoop leave.  Nevin should be go as well.  I could see one or both of Ibanez & Short leaving, but I don’t think both return.  Torkelson & Baez return.  I think Malloy is probably no longer an IF option.  What do they do with Lipcius?

Lots of room for improvement on the IF.

And let's decide, right now, whether Keith plays 3B or 2B, and then play him there full time.  Sometimes this whole positional versatility thing gets a bit absurd.  These guys are not Tony Phillips.

Don't we have anyone who can assess Keith's suitability for one position over the other?  What does Trammell do for a living?

23 minutes ago, casimir said:

McKinstry can return to 2B soon, but we may have seen his best work.  I wouldn’t rule Maton out yet, but he’s certainly got work to do.

Cabrera and Schoop leave.  Nevin should be go as well.  I could see one or both of Ibanez & Short leaving, but I don’t think both return.  Torkelson & Baez return.  I think Malloy is probably no longer an IF option.  What do they do with Lipcius?

Lots of room for improvement on the IF.

The IF situation in the minor is pretty depressing. Keith is a ray of sunshine, but everything is cloudy beyond that. Kreidler will be 26 next season - still hasn't proven he can achieve even utility status, and there is Lipcius - a long shot at best and already 25 himself. Look at Erie and Wenceel can't keep his OPS over 700 and Navigato is 25 at AA. They need Maton to be better, but that's really no better than 50/50.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The IF situation in the minor is pretty depressing. Keith is a ray of sunshine, but everything is cloudy beyond that. Kreidler will be 26 next season - still hasn't proven he can achieve even utility status, and there is Lipcius - a long shot at best and already 25 himself. Look at Erie and Wenceel can't keep his OPS over 700 and Navigato is 25 at AA. They need Maton to be better, but that's really no better than 50/50.

Lipcius' 2022 is looking like an outlier.  He's been a low .700's OPS guy every year except that one.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Kreidler still on short term IL? Haven't seen any details but abdominal surgery would normally make someone a candidate for the 60d.

7 day in Toledo. He doesn't accrue service time there. It is up to the Tigers if they want to bring him up and 60-Day him to save the 40 man roster spot at the expense of his service time and MLB salary.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

And let's decide, right now, whether Keith plays 3B or 2B, and then play him there full time.  Sometimes this whole positional versatility thing gets a bit absurd.  These guys are not Tony Phillips.

Don't we have anyone who can assess Keith's suitability for one position over the other?  What does Trammell do for a living?

In general the positional versatility doesn't bother me.  But it might not be for everybody on the field.  That might be as much of a mental/intangibles thing as it is a physical/tools thing.  So we are probably left to guess and project at times.

I'm all for trying guys up on the defensive spectrum.  They give it a go with Malloy this season, but it seems they've pulled the plug.  OK, fine, he's probably not a 3B, let's move along with him in the OF.

As for Keith, I don't know.  It might be wise to figure out positions between he and Jung if they are reasonably assumed as MLB players.  Maybe they both get 2B for a bit with their respective minor league assignments, see if its a go there for either.  But both can't play at 2B in Detroit, so someone has to move to 3B (or elsewhere) or becomes trade bait.  Heck, maybe the Tigers have come to the realization that both project as 3B and they need to move one or the other and are just waiting to make it happen at the optimal time.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm old enough to remember Kreidler was spoken of as the SS of the future.  Why did you morans break him?

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

7 day in Toledo. He doesn't accrue service time there. It is up to the Tigers if they want to bring him up and 60-Day him to save the 40 man roster spot at the expense of his service time and MLB salary.

True - $$ are $$. One other hand, you can't be too worried about serivce time for guy who won't be eligible for FA until he's 32!  ( don't know if that deserves a :classic_laugh: or a 😭 )

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

True - $$ are $$. One other hand, you can't be too worried about serivce time for guy who won't be eligible for FA until he's 32!

There are very few players where I think about service time and if someome is good enough where I would think about it then they should be signing him long term at some point.  So, I guess I never care about service time. 

Of course, that doesn't mean they don't care about it.    

Edited by Tiger337

Just now, Tiger337 said:

There are very few players where I think about service time and if someome is good enough where I would think about it then they should be signing him long term.  So, I guess I never care about service time. 

Of course, that doesn't mean they don't care about it.    

Same here, yeah you can save money by going to arb a year later but that isn't that big of deal to me, what matters to me is how long you can control them for and in that case if they are good you are going to control them for the same amount of time cause 90% of the time those guys get long term extensions before becoming free agents. 

Basically if you don't give the guy an extension until say his 5th year you save what maybe 10 million over the course of 4+years?

Not insignificant but not enough for me to think too much about and if you sign him to a long term extension in say his 2nd or 3rd year like most teams have been doing you save virtually nothing by manipulating the time. 

I agree, since baseball doesn’t have a true salary cap, the difference in cost is not much of a concern to me. Long term I could see it causing a team salary to bump up against some management budget (likely hidden from our view). But if the team is good, the player in question is good, pay the man.