2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Perhaps Lorenzen was worthy of the All Star team just by surviving the Tigers curse on pitchers. Yeah he was injured in Spring training and missed his opening start but since then he has been healthy. So being able to pitch a half season with us and throw the amount of pitches he has and not get injured may be more impressive than any stats that the other All Stars put up. 

If he gets injured in the All Star Game I swear I’m gonna pass a kidney on the spot. 

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

True - $$ are $$. One other hand, you can't be too worried about serivce time for guy who won't be eligible for FA until he's 32!  ( don't know if that deserves a :classic_laugh: or a 😭 )

I don't think Kreidler is manipulation worthy. But you can't pre-emptively put somebody on the 60, only when you need space. Perhaps he is the move when Brieske comes off the IL on Friday, although I suspect that may be a position player veteran on the active roster getting DFA to make room for Baddoo or Greene.

Also, re: Kreidler, you can't backdate a 60-day placement, so if you are going to maneuver the roster to get him on the 60-Day IL, because he is not already on the Major League IL, he would need to be out until September, and I'm just not sure that is the case.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, gehringer_2 said:

True - $$ are $$. One other hand, you can't be too worried about serivce time for guy who won't be eligible for FA until he's 32!  ( don't know if that deserves a :classic_laugh: or a 😭 )

The way things have gone with development, the Tigers should be happy to worry about top dollar arbitration cases with their own home grown talent.

49 minutes ago, kdog said:

This game came up on a youtube I was watching. Jose Valverde's 4 run implosion in the 9th inning of an ALCS game 1 will largely be lost to history. They won the game and the series.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201210130.shtml

Is that the game where Cabrera is visibly angry in the dugout while Valverde is blowing the game?

Ah, the trade for David Price.  The one where they pulled Austin Jackson from the game in like the top of the 7th or 8th inning because it turns out you can't keep playing in a not yet finished game for a team that just traded you to another team.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ah, the trade for David Price.  The one where they pulled Austin Jackson from the game in like the top of the 7th or 8th inning because it turns out you can't keep playing in a not yet finished game for a team that just traded you to another team.

I was at that game.  Very memorable seeing him run off the field mid-inning.

If we can get all our starters healthy and back in Detroit's or Toledo's rotation...

I believe it should be time to move Faedo to the bullpen. I think he could dominate there.

But... it's always tricky, and it seems to be especially so, for the Tigers to maintain a stable of healthy starters....

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If we can get all our starters healthy and back in Detroit's or Toledo's rotation...

I believe it should be time to move Faedo to the bullpen. I think he could dominate there.

But... it's always tricky, and it seems to be especially so, for the Tigers to maintain a stable of healthy starters....

you can give up on faedo as a starter.  he's long relief/emergency 5th starter only material.

if he can stay healthy.

I think he'd be an excellent middle reliever, or maybe even late innings reliever... at 2 or 3 innings a pop...

You'd only spot start him in an emergency. A RH'ed Alexander so to speak... and I actually like Ty in this role: middle innings only, spot starter only in an emergency...

On 7/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, buddha said:

you can give up on faedo as a starter.  he's long relief/emergency 5th starter only material.

if he can stay healthy.

they sent him down to Toledo but apparently to keep starting, not to learn to pitch relief, so that option is still back burnered.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 7/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Perhaps Lorenzen was worthy of the All Star team just by surviving the Tigers curse on pitchers. Yeah he was injured in Spring training and missed his opening start but since then he has been healthy. So being able to pitch a half season with us and throw the amount of pitches he has and not get injured may be more impressive than any stats that the other All Stars put up. 

He's certainly a trade candidate but I would mind if they worked out an extension ether. You're never going to have 5 aces and Lorenzen seems as reliable a candidate as anyone they have brought to fill out the rotation in recent years.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's certainly a trade candidate but I would mind if they worked out an extension ether. You're never going to have 5 aces and Lorenzen seems as reliable a candidate as anyone they have brought to fill out the rotation in recent years.

Agree—if he’d sign a 2-year deal, he’s probably worth keeping.  I don’t think teams  will surrender a top 100 prospect for him. Probably similar to Mike Fiers from a couple of years ago in terms of trade value.

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree—if he’d sign a 2-year deal, he’s probably worth keeping.  I don’t think teams  will surrender a top 100 prospect for him. Probably similar to Mike Fiers from a couple of years ago in terms of trade value.

Seems reasonable.