2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

4 hours ago, Dave Christian said:

Shep doesn't bother me as much as CMOE does.

CMo is terrible.

Two things bother me about Shepherd. 1st, he's just not that good an announcer - mangles sentences, starts phrases without knowing where he is going etc. But I could live with that if he would just finally claim his competence as a baseball guy instead of constantly, repeatedly, endlessless refusing to express a baseball take of his own without asking his color guy a question like wet behind the ears schoolboy. It makes for a constantly stilted broadcast. By now he should know enough baseball to be able to express an opinion and just have a normal conversation with  his colorman. He doesn't need to constantly act like he's a total baseball moron.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I wish they would do this with the Detroit broadcasts:

Not because they would replace the announcers—they definitely wouldn't—but it would change the look of the broadcast from the Bally look, with its constant crawl talking about all those other sports that aren't baseball, to the sparser look that MLB Network has, with the scorebox at the top left and blissfully nothing streaming along the bottom.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here’s what I mean: MLB took over the Padres broadcast earlier this season. Give me this look all day every day. IMG_9881.thumb.jpeg.e493b31939d81cc47640ea1ec5377fdf.jpeg

Better, but I still don’t see a need for the strike zone box.  Just one more thing to distract my eyes. Majority of pitches are either obvious balls, obvious strikes, are hit or are swung at. Just use after the pitch on the replays of borderline calls. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not because they would replace the announcers—they definitely wouldn't—but it would change the look of the broadcast from the Bally look, with its constant crawl talking about all those other sports that aren't baseball, to the sparser look that MLB Network has, with the scorebox at the top left and blissfully nothing streaming along the bottom.

Downside is a small decrease in revenue for the teams (I don't know the extent of the 80% guarantee I've heard come up), which could mean missing out on a free agent or two.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I mentioned it in the yesterdays game thread but I find it ironic that Randy Johnson (Long time Diamondback) is doing a new Ballysports commercial. 

58 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Downside is a small decrease in revenue for the teams (I don't know the extent of the 80% guarantee I've heard come up), which could mean missing out on a free agent or two.

Well, if they can't use that excuse for not going after free agent so-and-so, they can come up with another.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not that it matters, but I believe this would make the NL West the only "Bally-less" division in baseball, at least at the moment.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:32 PM, Tenacious D said:

Look around—other can’t-miss guys have struggled, too.  Joey Bart, CJ Abrams, Jerred Kellenic, Alex Kirilloff, JJ Bleday, Nick Madrigal—none has lived up to their hype (yet). Heck, Austin Martin, who was heavily debated as a potential alternative to drafting Tork, has yet to make the majors.

I don't follow college baseball, but never really got the Nick Madrigal love.  He's 5-6, no power, really can only play 2b (even though he is playing 3rd but that seems like a total waste).  

If you’ve never seen Mark Fidrych pitch or seen a 70’s era baseball game, watch at least the first couple of innings.  LeFlore, Staub, Jason Thompson, Aurelio Rodriguez.  Heck, even Mickey Stanley.

Players introducing themselves, Bob Eucker on the mic, 70’s era commercials.  I was 10 years old and this was everything to me. Pure gold.  Enjoy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know where to ask this question, so I'll ask it here. While watching the show Quarterback on Netflix it got me thinking about Kansas City Chiefs QB and Detroit Tigers pitching prospect Patrick Mahomes. If Mahomes had chosen baseball over football do you think he'd have made the show with us as a starting or relief pitcher? Do you think his raw talent as an athlete would have allowed him to translate into a good major leaguer?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 minutes ago, TigersForever1256 said:

Based on your conjecture? What of cases like Bo Jackson and Danny Ainge? Both excelled at 2 professional sports.

I'd throw out the thousands of other two sport athletes throughout history at the HS and college level that couldn't do it.  He was picked in the 37th round of the MLB draft.  I'm not saying he couldn't have it or wouldn't have but the odds say he wouldn't.  That's true for the vast majority of players drafted.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'd throw out the thousands of other two sport athletes throughout history at the HS and college level that couldn't do it.  He was picked in the 37th round of the MLB draft.  I'm not saying he couldn't have it or wouldn't have but the odds say he wouldn't.  That's true for the vast majority of players drafted.

I guess I'll concede the point with a shrug and "we'll never know".

On 7/20/2023 at 5:57 PM, tiger2022 said:

I don't follow college baseball, but never really got the Nick Madrigal love.  He's 5-6, no power, really can only play 2b (even though he is playing 3rd but that seems like a total waste).  

I thought Madrigal might be a decent pick for us instead of Mize (injury concerns).  As it turned out...Madrigal never did develop any power and has an injury history of his own.  

I did think Matt McLain was a viable option at #3 in 2021 as he looked like a plug and play 2B...thayt idea looks better

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If you’ve never seen Mark Fidrych pitch or seen a 70’s era baseball game, watch at least the first couple of innings.  LeFlore, Staub, Jason Thompson, Aurelio Rodriguez.  Heck, even Mickey Stanley.

Players introducing themselves, Bob Eucker on the mic, 70’s era commercials.  I was 10 years old and this was everything to me. Pure gold.  Enjoy

That game is on my short list of favorite games of all time including post-season games.