Rarity: 173
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

The White Sox and Orioles Cy Young answer killed me, could only think of the two most popular answers. 

It’s funny how some days can be easy and others can be an absolute grind after like 3 or 4.  Yesterday’s grid I flew through in about 2 minutes with 0 wrong. Today was a strain to get to 6 of 9.  The parallel of the day-to-day between this and a player or team on the field is uncanny.

I tried for rarity points the other day with Jim Price as an answer for Pittsburgh-Detroit.  It was a great plan except that he never played for Pittsburgh.  He only played in their minors until he was purchased by the Tigers.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I got 2 correct today, and they both had rarity scores of over 50%.  My problem is that I am trying to match up events that happened in the 1960s and 1970s, I'm pretty clueless after that.

The 70s and 80s are the best for me.  I am also good at any year of Tigers and also awards and milestones.  

Anything after around mid 90s blends together for me.  Since then, I have concentreated more on individuals and stats than teams.  

I'm not sure whether I'm alone on this one, but speaking only for myself, I'll be glad once the season ends to see the steady promotional drumbeat of Miguel Cabrera go completely away. I love what the guy did for us when he was great, but for the Tigers to keep bringing him up all day every day is to keep talking about the past, and I'm ready to move on from that past and into the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure whether I'm alone on this one, but speaking only for myself, I'll be glad once the season ends to see the steady promotional drumbeat of Miguel Cabrera go completely away. I love what the guy did for us when he was great, but for the Tigers to keep bringing him up all day every day is to keep talking about the past, and I'm ready to move on from that past and into the future.

You are not alone.  When it's all done, I will look back at him as one of the all time great Tigers but year after year of replacement level perfomance at the end end of his career while fans and media pretend that he still has something left got tiring a long time ago.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been ready to move on.  But, I understand this series in Miami has some emotions for Cabrera himself and for the Miami (both Marlins and South Florida population) fan bases.  It’s not going to affect the Tigers as far as a playoff chance is concerned.  They have a couple of off days coming up.  So I can understand and appreciate him playing all 3 games this weekend.  And fortunately he had some good moments this weekend and it was obvious that Cabrera and the Miami crowd enjoyed it.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

This will be the first offseason in 3 years where people won't be carping about his contract, and challenging the front office to find "creative solutions".  That's what I'm looking forward to.

Unfortunately it’ll be Baez that will get that treatment

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’ve been ready to move on.  But, I understand this series in Miami has some emotions for Cabrera himself and for the Miami (both Marlins and South Florida population) fan bases.  It’s not going to affect the Tigers as far as a playoff chance is concerned.  They have a couple of off days coming up.  So I can understand and appreciate him playing all 3 games this weekend.  And fortunately he had some good moments this weekend and it was obvious that Cabrera and the Miami crowd enjoyed it.

I am starting to contemplate the idea that, if Cabrera does go into coaching or becomes a front office special assistant, he’s might do so with the Marlins instead of the Tigers, since he won a ring with them, and Miami is a city he loves which is populated with people who speak his language. 

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I am starting to contemplate the idea that, if Cabrera does go into coaching or becomes a front office special assistant, he’s might do so with the Marlins instead of the Tigers, since he won a ring with them, and Miami is a city he loves which is populated with people who speak his language. 

Agree. Miguel doesn't seem to have much desire to make a cross over into the anglo world - and in fact has almost made it a matter of priniciple over the last 20 yrs not to,  and a FO or coaching position with the Tigers that was anything more than ceremonial would pretty much require that.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m still not convinced he’s going to stay in baseball after he’s done, anyway. Feels to me he has an active, busy life outside the game, living the best life possible in Miami. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who lives to work.

it's a good question. Maybe in part because he's never become a willing English speaker, he's still an enigmatic character. There is the publc personna that argues the 'doesn't care to work' side, but OTOH, over the years other players also seem to describe him fairly often as a pretty disciplined guy - so IDK.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's a good question. Maybe in part because he's never become a willing English speaker, he's still an enigmatic character. There is the publc personna that argues the 'doesn't care to work' side, but OTOH, over the years other players also seem to describe him fairly often as a pretty disciplined guy - so IDK.

Do they describe him as such? Maybe, although I haven't heard. In any event, I don't regard player comments to the press as being the most reliable barometers of news or truth.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do they describe him as such? Maybe, although I haven't heard. In any event, I don't regard player comments to the press as being the most reliable barometers of news or truth.

I have heard enough other players talk about observing Cabrera and they describe him being very thorough and systematic. It's true players tend to talk up their mates, but in this case, they could as easily be saying say "He's amazing, how he doesn't seem to have to work at it at all" but I've never heard that, so I do tend to believe he is capable of being 'studious.' Of course your point stands in the sense that the bigger question is "does he want to" when it comes to anything besides hitting.

As I noted, my skepticism would also go to his reluctance to become more fluent in English. Latin players serious about wanting public/semi-public facing post playing careers in the US usually get serious about becoming more fluent than Miguel ever has bothered with. That's not an issue if he wants to stay in the game in S/C. America, but I don't think he wants to leave Miami either. Could be his life plan was go back to VZ and he is stuck for now by the fact that the political situation there is still so bad.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have heard enough other players talk about observing Cabrera and they describe him being very thorough and systematic. It's true players tend to talk up their mates, but in this case, they could as easily be saying say "He's amazing, how he doesn't seem to have to work at it at all" but I've never heard that, so I do tend to believe he is capable of being 'studious.' Of course your point stands in the sense that the bigger question is "does he want to" when it comes to anything besides hitting.

As I noted, my skepticism would also go to his reluctance to become more fluent in English. Latin players serious about wanting public/semi-public facing post playing careers in the US usually get serious about becoming more fluent than Miguel ever has bothered with. That's not an issue if he wants to stay in the game in S/C. America, but I don't think he wants to leave Miami either. Could be his life plan was go back to VZ and he is stuck for now by the fact that the political situation there is still so bad.

I don't think players would say about any player "he's amazing, how he doesn't seem to have to work at it at all", because that comes off as an insult. Players respect guys who put in the work, and they don't respect guys who don't.

As for coaching, I think you were right with your observation that his way of coaching probably wouldn't fit with the Tigers' new way, and also, not yet said, his way might fit perfectly with Miami's way. I'm an outsider, so I have no way of knowing, but based strictly on what I've seen of him through the media over the years, I would bet he's a guy who would never want to look at charts, or attend coaches meetings, or work with the farm clubs, or anything else that would require constant diligence and effort. I see him as wanting to hang out in the clubhouse and the dugout dispensing pearls of wisdom to major leaguers as the mood strikes him. He has created value during his entire superstar career by being Miggy. I can't envision that changing.

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

He gets way too big of a pass for the 2009 incident. Both from the beating his wife standpoint and from the getting blackout drunk the last weekend of the year with the division on the line standpoint. Inexcusable on all ends.

and the Marlins gave him some rum this past weekend.

I thought he was sober.  They made a big fuss in 2011 about celebrating with NA champagne.

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

He gets way too big of a pass for the 2009 incident. Both from the beating his wife standpoint and from the getting blackout drunk the last weekend of the year with the division on the line standpoint. Inexcusable on all ends.

There was also the time he got drunk and threatened to blow up a bar.