2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

The Franklin Perez era has concluded.

I don't know whether Beck is playing down Perez's part in the trade intentionally to shield his employer or what, but Perez was THE headliner of the return on that trade when it happened, not just a "part".

Edited by chasfh

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Franklin Perez era has concluded.

I don't know whether Beck is playing down Perez's part in the trade intentionally to shield his employer or what, but Perez was THE headliner of the return on that trade when it happened, not just a "part".

For the purposes of the trade calculations I do, I closed the book on Perez when he was released the first time, even if that was procedural because you can't waive an injured player.

9 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I feel like Martinez never got as much appreciation as he deserved.  The top Tigers in OPS+ in at at least 1,500 PA:

Cobb 171

Greenberg 161

Heilmann 149

JD Martinez 147

Crawford 145

Cabrera 141

Cash 139

Tettleton 135

Cullenbine 135

Kaline 134

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-batting-season-finder.cgi?request=1&match=player_season_combined&order_by=b_onbase_plus_slugging_plus&ccomp[1]=gt&cstat[1]=b_onbase_plus_slugging_plus&ccomp[2]=gt&cval[2]=1500&cstat[2]=b_pa&team_id=DET&comp_id[]=AL

Malloy is hitting again:

image.png.8843a9342c743d9e010051f9dd6f1b5f.png

I know Vierling played 3B the other day in Pittsburgh.  I didn't pay much attention to how he fared there, I was multitasking with the game on.  Yeah, I know, where are my priorities.

Is there room for Malloy before September?  He's been playing the corner outfields in Toledo.  Can he do the same in Detroit and can Vierling get an extended look at 3B?  Just kind of see what could be for next season?  It becomes a bit of a juggling act with Vierling currently the backup CF to Greene, but maybe some of those duties can go to Baddoo?

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I feel like Martinez never got as much appreciation as he deserved.  The top Tigers in OPS+ in at at least 1,500 PA:

Cobb 171

Greenberg 161

Heilmann 149

JD Martinez 147

Crawford 145

Cabrera 141

Cash 139

Tettleton 135

Cullenbine 135

Kaline 134

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-batting-season-finder.cgi?request=1&match=player_season_combined&order_by=b_onbase_plus_slugging_plus&ccomp[1]=gt&cstat[1]=b_onbase_plus_slugging_plus&ccomp[2]=gt&cval[2]=1500&cstat[2]=b_pa&team_id=DET&comp_id[]=AL

Yeah I always thought he was too and this backs it up, I think it may have been because the way he was acquired and the little fan fair that came with it and most importantly he was viewed as kinda the third guy behind Miggy and Victor who for the most part were still elite hitters during JD's time up until the last season.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Malloy is hitting again:

image.png.8843a9342c743d9e010051f9dd6f1b5f.png

I know Vierling played 3B the other day in Pittsburgh.  I didn't pay much attention to how he fared there, I was multitasking with the game on.  Yeah, I know, where are my priorities.

Is there room for Malloy before September?  He's been playing the corner outfields in Toledo.  Can he do the same in Detroit and can Vierling get an extended look at 3B?  Just kind of see what could be for next season?  It becomes a bit of a juggling act with Vierling currently the backup CF to Greene, but maybe some of those duties can go to Baddoo?

.714 at home, and .990 on the road.  That's weird.

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

The other thing you notice is his negative platoon split.  He doesn't need to be platooned.  But he will be.

he and Meadows both. That often goes away at MLB because the average slider quality is so much better but it's still a  better starting point for promotion than a bad split is!

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

The other thing you notice is his negative platoon split.  He doesn't need to be platooned.  But he will be.

I believe it's just a fluke as he had a normal split last year.  However, righties don't typically have as much trouble with same handed pitchers as lefties do, so I don't know that he'll need to be platooned.  I think the question with him will be whether he hits enough to compensate for his lack of fielding skill.  

53 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

However, righties don't typically have as much trouble with same handed pitchers as lefties do,

A righty that is not a strictly pull hitter is probably your best bet for a player with no platoon split. I know, he's not a fair comparison to anyone - but Cabrera, with the ability to use an inside out swing when he wants to, has a negative career platoon split. 

More down to earth - Torkelson's is pretty moderate so far in his young career, and he also knows how to take the outside pitch to right when they are throwing him away. He really should do it more than he does.

I think this is also a place where you want to look at OBP as well as OPS - at least for LHH. I wouldn't care too much if a LHH gives up his power going the other way against LHP in order to avoid making outs. That's not a guy I'm going to worry about platooning even if his OPS split might be >150 because no HRs. Can he still keep the line moving?

Riley is an example here. 130pts on his OPS split but less than 20 on his OBP. (because Riley hasn't hit a HR off a LHP this season)

Edited by gehringer_2