2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

36 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Looks that way.  My naïveté was hoping that a Parker Meadows promotion could be a positive catalyst for Austin in helping him get back, but Hinch’s comments do not sound promising at all.

I suspect he’ll be offered a role in the organization after this season—the Tigers won’t want to cut a player dealing with his issues.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Poor guy. Mid 20's is when things like schizophrenia can begin to manifest. Sounds like whatever this is, it's serious enough they can't get a handle on it which is not good.

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Looks that way.  My naïveté was hoping that a Parker Meadows promotion could be a positive catalyst for Austin in helping him get back, but Hinch’s comments do not sound promising at all.

I suspect he’ll be offered a role in the organization after this season—the Tigers won’t want to cut a player dealing with his issues.

Keeping “employed” keeps he and his family insured as well.  Sad to see anyone go through this.

Yeah at first I was hoping it was something that "just" effected his baseball life and not life all around, like maybe being in the batter's box just gave him major anxiety or something but now that is starting to sound like that is not the case but instead something much worse that effects his day to day life as well. 

What are the impressions of Vierling at 3B.  He started off a 5-4-3 double play on a sharply hit ball and had the wherewithal to start the 9th inning double play himself at 3B before tossing over to 1B.  He was obviously well prepared under both circumstances.  It reminded me of my dad coaching us when we were younger, “know what you’re going to do with the ball before it’s hit to you.”

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

What are the impressions of Vierling at 3B.  He started off a 5-4-3 double play on a sharply hit ball and had the wherewithal to start the 9th inning double play himself at 3B before tossing over to 1B.  He was obviously well prepared under both circumstances.  It reminded me of my dad coaching us when we were younger, “know what you’re going to do with the ball before it’s hit to you.”

If he can play adequate defense there, you could see how the pieces potentially fall in place for next season:

Vierling 3B

Malloy RF

Greene LF

Meadows CF

Keith 2B

I think we know the other positions.  Of course, this assumes no external additions, which is unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If he can play adequate defense there, you could see how the pieces potentially fall in place for next season:

Vierling 3B

Malloy RF

Greene LF

Meadows CF

Keith 2B

I think we know the other positions.  Of course, this assumes no external additions, which is unlikely.

I know the roster flexibility has been criticized here.  But I’m for it with the right ball players.  It’s not for everybody, and that’s fine.  But maybe Vierling is a ball player that can handle it.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I know the roster flexibility has been criticized here.  But I’m for it with the right ball players.  It’s not for everybody, and that’s fine.  But maybe Vierling is a ball player that can handle it.

I have always appreciated roster flebility.  I just don't want the whole team to revolve around it.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have always appreciated roster flebility.  I just don't want the whole team to revolve around it.  

I think Maton at 3B lasted too long.  He’s obviously struggled offensively.  But I (in my completely uneducated opinion) think he lacked the quick twitch to handle 3B.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Vierling 3B

Malloy RF

Greene LF

Meadows CF

Keith 2B

If that is how it plays out, a big if, that would be a very young starting lineup. Assuming Carpenter, Baez, Tork, and Rogers round out the starting 9 that is an average age of 25.6. More growing pains. 

8 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

If that is how it plays out, a big if, that would be a very young starting lineup. Assuming Carpenter, Baez, Tork, and Rogers round out the starting 9 that is an average age of 25.6. More growing pains. 

It also might feature the worst defensive infield in MLB and a disaster in total when including RF. 

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Roster flexibilty is fine but I'd rather have a player that fields 1 position great than guys that fields a bunch of positions average or mediocre and this doesn't even factor in the hitting aspect of it. 

I’d be a lot more concerned about that if this were the group of guys the organization thought they could contend every year with. I’m pretty sure it’s not, so I think the idea now is to see whether any of these guys can fit in as a useful part of a winning organization down the road, and the rest of them will be free to pursue their careers elsewhere.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I think Maton at 3B lasted too long.  He’s obviously struggled offensively.  But I (in my completely uneducated opinion) think he lacked the quick twitch to handle 3B.

Agree, and didn't have the arm either. McKinstry's not much better quickness wise but at least he can get the ball over there in good shape when he fields it - most of the time.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 8/5/2023 at 6:38 PM, casimir said:

Another good showing at 3B on Sunday.  Cut a ball off glove side pretty well with a dive and got the runner out at 1B on a close play.  I'm not sure if the SS would have been able to make that play, it looked like Short would have gloved it without a dive, but deeper in the hole and with momentum not going into the throw towards 1B.  Kind of a rare good Tiger defensive play this weekend vs Tampa.

Kiley Mcdaniel put out his top FAs and had Erod at 7. This is what he had to say. 

Rodriguez blocked a trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers and now will have to deal with his opt-out. He should easily be able to clear the three years and $49 million left on his deal, but that could also be accomplished by reworking it with the Tigers to avoid hitting the open market. Here's yet another starting pitcher with all the components to project a low-nine-figure deal, but there's a real chance he never reaches the open market.

I don't think he'll get over 100 million, but he'll most likely get a lot more than 3/49 from some team.  I'm expecting him to opt out.  The Tigers will probably offer one year deals to pitchers coming off injuries or sub-par seasons.  They'll hope for another Lorenzen.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he'll get over 100 million, but he'll most likely get a lot more than 3/49 from some team.  I'm expecting him to opt out.  The Tigers will probably offer one year deals to pitchers coming off injuries or sub-par seasons.  They'll hope for another Lorenzen.  

They could always re-sign him............

• Like 1