2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It wasn't as much Vest as I thought Wingenter would be the 1st man off the boat just because they only have 2 left handers. But I was forgetting they had picked up Vasquez.

Shreveport failed in his mission to pitch well enough to get flipped, and now unfortunately it cost him his job. 

I won't be shocked when Rogers is traded in the offseason. Especially since he was rumored to be in the Erod trade.  Rogers will hit arbitration for the first time. I don't know if he would get more than $3.5 million, I assume he will get less. So why pay Kelly more to be a backup? My guess is Kelly and Sands in Detroit next year with Dingler at AAA.

36 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I won't be shocked when Rogers is traded in the offseason. Especially since he was rumored to be in the Erod trade.  Rogers will hit arbitration for the first time. I don't know if he would get more than $3.5 million, I assume he will get less. So why pay Kelly more to be a backup? My guess is Kelly and Sands in Detroit next year with Dingler at AAA.

You might be right but i dont understand why you would want to get rid of Rogers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

It depends on how much of the Cabrera money they spend in free agency.   I personally don’t think they make a giant splash and have plenty of extra money in 2024.

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It depends on how much of the Cabrera money they spend in free agency.   I personally don’t think they make a giant splash and have plenty of extra money in 2024.

Who would we even have interest in, in the next free agent class? I don't see much.

More coming with trades than FA in my opinion.

Not sure what the Carson Kelly move is about, exactly, if not shuffling the deck chairs until Dillon Dingler or someone we don’t know about yet arrives sometime next season or 2025. It’s pretty clear Haase is toast but he couldn’t be optioned, so they had to DFA him to clear active roster space. Kelly has no more future here than anyone else, even Rogers, so I don’t see them pushing out Jake in favor of Kelly for the 2024 season. Tigers might want to see whether they can squeeze a year of 2021-level performance out of Kelly before they move onto to the next catchers phase.

10 hours ago, Timmitch55 said:

Who would we even have interest in, in the next free agent class? I don't see much.

More coming with trades than FA in my opinion.

If the Tigers retain Eduardo, which I don’t think is far-fetched, I could see us revisiting trade talks with the Dodgers, but with Skubal instead.  They’d have to have some confidence that Mize and Turnbull will be in the mix next season.  A cost-controlled Skubal would have more value to a team like the Dodgers and net a bigger return.  Clearly they have a strong farm and willingness to trade to fix their pitching staff, which relies on a lot of question marks.

I would love to know who we were receiving in return for ERod and Jake, if he was in fact part of it. 

K% is not everything, but Rogers and Dingler probably strike out too much for Harris's liking, so Kelly and Sands may very well be the 2024 duo. Seems to me the best duo is Kelly/Rogers (if healthy they could get you up to 4+ WAR), but if Rogers' value has peaked, then Harris probably is shipping him out. They are not going to have 4 catchers on the 40, so either they risk losing Dingler in Rule 5 draft, release Sands, or trade Rogers.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

K% is not everything, but Rogers and Dingler probably strike out too much for Harris's liking, so Kelly and Sands may very well be the 2024 duo. Seems to me the best duo is Kelly/Rogers (if healthy they could get you up to 4+ WAR), but if Rogers' value has peaked, then Harris probably is shipping him out. They are not going to have 4 catchers on the 40, so either they risk losing Dingler in Rule 5 draft, release Sands, or trade Rogers.

If Harris brings Sands to Detroit for any kind of regular role he will prove he is no smarter than Avila.

Edited by gehringer_2