2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Odds are you are going to regress to your pythag but seemingly every year there is a team that on paper isn't very good but ends up being in or near the playoffs cause they do indeed outplay it by several to double digit wins. Maybe we will be that team this year.

If we do way outperform our pythag, enough to legitimately contend for the playoffs, I hope the Harris admin will stick to their long-term plan and not make any ill-advised moves so they can take a shot at the third wild card spot this year. I assume the temptation and pressure to do so would be very great.

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Generally not great to cherry pick or discount specific results, but their pythag numbers have to be somewhat influenced by the early blowouts, particularly the 12-2 and 14-5 blowouts in the Tampa and Boston series respectively.

Absent those, they would probably still be overperforming, but more modestly. Either way, they're a team relying on the close W more than the blowout... really outside of their 8-1 game against the Mets, they really haven't had one of those this year iirc. If they have can add a few laughers to their repertoire, that would help.

Perhaps but, FWIW, I posted standings yesterday showing our performance since 2-9, and even though our record had been 13-9, our pythag was still about .500.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If we do way outperform our pythag, enough to legitimately contend for the playoffs, I hope the Harris admin will stick to their long-term plan and not make any ill-advised moves so they can take a shot at the third wild card spot this year. I assume the temptation and pressure to do so would be very great.

I don't know that there are any minor leaguers in the system that if traded for a 2023 piece would be ill-advised.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Perhaps but, FWIW, I posted standings yesterday showing our performance since 2-9, and even though our record had been 13-9, our pythag was still about .500.

Hence why I said: "Absent those, they would probably still be overperforming, but more modestly."

36 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know that there are any minor leaguers in the system that if traded for a 2023 piece would be ill-advised.

I don't know, either—Jung? Keith? Flores? Whoever this year's 1-3 pick turns out to be?—but just as a general statement of principle, I prefer they not mortgage any future pieces now in-house that they've determined would be top contributors for run at a ghost of a chance this year.

I wouldn't want them to mortgage the future but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily want them to sell off pieces either unless they got a really good return. IDK I'm just tired of having meaningless baseball in August and September, if keeping guys like E-Rod will give us that much more of a chance to atleast be in a pennant race and play meaningful games I'd take that over getting some mid tier prospect(s) or volatile lottery ticket(s).

Now if the return is legit high level type prospects then yeah perhaps I'd be willing to sacrifice the possible short term success for that but if not then no just keep the players and let the season play out. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't know, either—Jung? Keith? Flores? Whoever this year's 1-3 pick turns out to be?—but just as a general statement of principle, I prefer they not mortgage any future pieces now in-house that they've determined would be top contributors for run at a ghost of a chance this year.

None of them are worth losing sleep over.

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I could see Harris trading minor leaguers for relative young players already in the majors.  I don't see them trading good propects for a rental.  

This would make sense for 'now and the future'. We might be able to get a player for  both 'time periods' ex for 1-2 decent prospects (maybe not top).

There may be a good team (or not so good) with a blocked player. Seems Harris has done this with several who are now playing more & helping (here in the D) who would not have as much elsewhere.

I have been off the grid in terms of my interest level in this team this season — and all sports related passions — but from a distance I have enjoyed this latest run.

My son who just turned 21 a few weeks ago has now become a true Tigers fan, a man of the cloth, whose young heart is bursting with love for this team, and he’s talking about the playoffs with an endearing sincerity that makes me fear for his sanity and well-being.

He listens to all the games on his phone and he’ll call me and tell me passionately about all the good things that have happened as of late. 

Having been there myself, I have no right to tell him that he’s kind of like the school nerd who’s trying to get the hottest cheerleader in school to date him and that the results will be humiliating. 

Right now he’s excited that the MLB free game of the day on Friday will be the Tigers against the Mariners and he wants to watch it with me and I told him that it will most likely be blacked out because we live in the Mariners TV area and he doesn’t believe me because he can’t believe MLB would be that mean.

He’s that sincere. He’s like a bumpkin who’s in Paris for the first time in the 1880s to hang out with the Impressionist painters and when he sees the pretty prostitutes on the Rue des Lorettes he thinks they’re just nice girls who honestly like him and want to have a good time. I want to tell him “been there done that and learned my lesson” but it’s something he just has to learn for himself.

Cheers to you all. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

He’s that sincere. He’s like a bumpkin who’s in Paris for the first time in the 1880s to hang out with the Impressionist painters and when he sees the pretty prostitutes on the Rue des Lorettes he thinks they’re just nice girls who honestly like him and want to have a good time. I want to tell him “been there done that and learned my lesson” but it’s something he just has to learn for himself.

Cheers to you all. 

That’s gold, Bert!  Great to hear from you.  

• Thanks 1

Great to hear from you Bert! Its funny the other day I got a follow suggestion on Twitter who was a Tigers fan with the name Bert in his handle so I thought it may have been our Bert until I clicked on the profile and realized it wasn't.

Anyway seeing that then made me think to myself that I hadn't seen any posts from Bert in awhile and it concerned me a bit. Glad to hear that all is well and its funny how things like that work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

On a related note, I always feel sorry for any kid whose parents are turning them into Lions fans. When I see a kid wearing Lions gear, my empathy goes on high alert.

Oh, I don't know.  I think the Lions might actually have something going here.

I know a lot of us are hoping Baez has a monster season and opts out.  But, who replaces him?

The Upcoming Shortstop Class Looks Increasingly Bleak

If its an inside the organization replacement, do they just roll with some sort of amalgamation of Maton/McKinstry/Short/Kreidler to bide time until Perez is MLB ready (assuming he'll become MLB ready)?

With Torkelson and Greene showing more of an offensive acumen lately, and with Malloy (and maybe MeadowsP) possibly/probably ready for promotion next season, can they be a trio to build a lineup around with mixes/matches all around them?  Gotta think the Tigers would need another pair of everyday players to add in.  I'm not sure what the other positions look like for this upcoming hot stove.